Hasselblad SWC/M (CF) and Modern Alternatives

Previous topic - Next topic

Bashir Lunat

Dear All,
For some unknown reasons I had unusual urge to go back in the history and to refresh memory connected to the very SWC/M, I had two of them about twenty odd years ago. I have been viewing internet pages and photos taken on Biogon and after few days of that practice guess what! Developement of GAS :o
So, I hunted one down at one of very reputable dealer. a former partnet of Fieldgrass ang Gale.
As I already have a few CF lenses and A12 backs, I bout the SWC/M with "megaphone" finder. It looks very good for the age.The optics and mechanics also fine.
Now the main bit: I will have to go back to films just to use this camera. The available digital backs are not square and very costly. So I must use it as originally intende by the makers,that is with emulsions. ..........and scan.
Any current users among us here? How do you use it?

Ralf Mueller

Dear Bashir,

well, first of all congrats to the purchase of the SWC/M. I have a 905SWC (latest model) and mostly use it with film and Kodak
Portra 160 or 400, then have it developed and scanned by a local service provider here in Germany. I tried digital with the SWC, both
CFV-16 and CFV-50c. It works BUT then the entire "look" of the Biogon is compromised (or even better destroyed).

Going out with just the SWC, a few rolls of film and a small light meter is so rewarding, sometimes i ask why I got into all this mess
with digital ;D One thing is for sure: If i had to sell all of my equipment for some reason, the SWC would be the one I'd keep.

Have fun with the SWC!

Regards,
Ralf

Domip

It works BUT then the entire "look" of the Biogon is compromised (or even better destroyed).

Ralf

[/quote]

How is it different? Can you show us some examples ?
And have you ever compared SWC with HC24 on H-body?
Thanks

Ralf Mueller

Thanks

What i meant is that the "Super Wide" effect is entirely gone as with a CFV-16 the Biogon becomes a 57mm lens. In my opinion, the SWC only excels with film and this is what it was made for. I don't have the HCD 24mm lens, only the HCD 28mm. Haven't done any comparisons, not even sure it makes sense. See attached of what i mean by "super wide"  ;D Could I have done this with my H6D? Most likely yes, but then compare the size and weight of a H6D with attached HCD24/28 and the SWC. Sometimes, lighter is better.

Domip

Well, it could make sense if you 'need' to go digital instead of having your film scanned.
Would be nice to see a comparison of HC24 with SWC though...
I've the HC24 and all I can say it's brilliant, but don't have a SWC :-)

Ralf Mueller

Quote from: Domip on December 15, 2017, 11:49:06 PM
Well, it could make sense if you 'need' to go digital instead of having your film scanned.
Would be nice to see a comparison of HC24 with SWC though...
I've the HC24 and all I can say it's brilliant, but don't have a SWC :-)

Yes certainly, if you need digital there is no escape and I'm pretty sure the HCD 24 is a good choice then. I use the SWC more for fun kind of projects.
Maybe we should meet and do the comparison. I'm in the south west of Germany, close to Heidelberg.

Domip

Nice idea for comparison, but to far for me. Living at coast of Belgium...

Ralf Mueller

Great, was in Ostende this year for a one week vacation. Definitely come back, will let you know.

Best Regards and have a great weekend, Ralf.

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: Ralf Mueller on December 15, 2017, 10:02:28 PM
Dear Bashir,

well, first of all congrats to the purchase of the SWC/M. I have a 905SWC (latest model) and mostly use it with film and Kodak
Portra 160 or 400, then have it developed and scanned by a local service provider here in Germany. I tried digital with the SWC, both
CFV-16 and CFV-50c. It works BUT then the entire "look" of the Biogon is compromised (or even better destroyed).

Going out with just the SWC, a few rolls of film and a small light meter is so rewarding, sometimes i ask why I got into all this mess
with digital ;D One thing is for sure: If i had to sell all of my equipment for some reason, the SWC would be the one I'd keep.

Have fun with the SWC

Regards,
Ralf
Ralf, Yes I think so. Its the square image with SWC is like a Biogon hallmark.

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: Ralf Mueller on December 15, 2017, 11:44:15 PM
Thanks

What i meant is that the "Super Wide" effect is entirely gone as with a CFV-16 the Biogon becomes a 57mm lens. In my opinion, the SWC only excels with film and this is what it was made for. I don't have the HCD 24mm lens, only the HCD 28mm. Haven't done any comparisons, not even sure it makes sense. See attached of what i mean by "super wide"  ;D Could I have done this with my H6D? Most likely yes, but then compare the size and weight of a H6D with attached HCD24/28 and the SWC. Sometimes, lighter is better.
Lovely image. Thanks for sharing.

ChrisL

Quote from: Bashir Lunat on December 15, 2017, 03:31:49 PM

Now the main bit: I will have to go back to films just to use this camera. The available digital backs are not square and very costly.

The Phase One P20 is square and not, relatively, costly, I shoot it on my 500CM because it is square and retains the aesthetic, you of course loose, as pointed out above, the coverage and personally I would, should I have an SWC, shoot film.

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: ChrisL on December 16, 2017, 10:13:16 PM
Quote from: Bashir Lunat on December 15, 2017, 03:31:49 PM

Now the main bit: I will have to go back to films just to use this camera. The available digital backs are not square and very costly.

The Phase One P20 is square and not, relatively, costly, I shoot it on my 500CM because it is square and retains the aesthetic, you of course loose, as pointed out above, the coverage and personally I would, should I have an SWC, shoot film.
I read on P20 as well as P25- Some users thought that P25 is Biogon friendly because of microlenses whatever.
May I ask members to upload photos taken on SWC for the benifit of anyone who visits this forum. I will when I will have my first roll done! Or Nick can start a thread dedicated to SWC photos and comments.