The quality of the Sonnar 5.6/250?

Previous topic - Next topic

pkr1979

Hi,

I'm keen to get a tele for my 500C/M. And I've been reading up on the differences between the regular 250 and the Superachromat. Not so much because I'm considering the Superachromat but more so to get an impression of the regular one... and, if I should get it. So what I'm more curious to know is how this lens compare to the other V lenses, or to the 80mm CF in particular (a lens I'm very happy with) in regards to image quality? Any opinions?

Cheers
Peter

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: galoubet on December 15, 2017, 02:58:43 PM
I have an original (silver) Sonnar 250mm f5.6 lens. I used it for many years and I found the quality to be excellent. I have no experience of the Superachromat which came later. I bought my lens second-hand from a wildlife photographer in 1978 and the pictures he took with it were indeed stunning.

However when I return from Thailand towards the end of January I shall be getting a Kipon converter to use the lens on my X1D and I can upload some test shots for you. If you can wait that long that is! (pkr? that's Kodachrome isn't it?)
I used to have one SA  black C version. It is better at infinity than at close distance. The weakness is its minimum focusing distance is not near enough. Some people say that this lens works wonderfully on digital.

pkr1979

Hi! Thanks to both of you :-) The regular one seems to have a better minimum focus distance... which I appreciate. I dont have a budget for the SA anyway. It aint Kodachrome - besides, I shoot Provia 100F B-)

Michael H. Cothran

I've owned two "regular" 250 Sonnars (both CF versions) in my career. Both were exceptional performers, so I can't imagine a need for an IQ increase in the SA version. And, according to Hasselblad, the non-SA version is at its best wide open, where stopping down only increases its DOF.

FWIW - I just bought a used Hasselblad auto bellows unit off Ebay, and plan to use my current CF 250 Sonnar on it, as a macro lens. With the bellows unit, the 250 will focus down to 1:2 ratio. That should be fun!

pkr1979

Indeed it does :-) I just picked up a 250mm - do you have any experience in using extension rings with this lens, particularly for tight head shots?

Michael H. Cothran

Any of the V system extension tubes will work beautifully with this lens. The first "issue" is to determine just how close a particular tube will get you to your subject's head, as relative to just how close you might actually want to be. The second "issue" would be the stability of your rig, as the 250 is a substantial lens, and adding an extension tube or two could introduce some wobbling up front. I would probably start out with one of the shorter tubes to begin with. The longer ones, like the 55 tube or 64-85 tube, might get you too close. But that's completely up to what you're looking for.

FWIW - Cropping is something that most of us never want to do, unless forced to do so. We want to utilize every piece of grain in the film, and every pixel in the digital file. I bring this up simply because you DO have the option of shooting at the nearest range with your 250, then cropping down to what you want, whether on film or digital. I find myself in this situation a lot, and can attest that the quality of the images produced by Hasselblad lenses has never let me down, even with severe cropping. As a disclaimer, this may be more of an issue with film than it is with a digital file, but...why not try it out to see what kind of results you get.

pkr1979

Thanks for all your feedback Michael. And you are right - cropping is an option. I have a Canon 500D Close-Up lens as well, that I might try... easier to use than an extension ring anyway... just not sure how much it will affect image quality :-)

satijntje

V-lens on a X1D
I tried today a Hasselblad Zeiss SONNAR 5,6/250 (CF Version made in 1996) with a Kipon adapter on the X1D.
Good news for those that have the HB-X1D Kipon adapter and the clamp that is sold by PPL: its fitting very well together.
For those that are looking for a tele on the X1D, this certainly is an interesting option to consider.

Michael H. Cothran

Does the tripod collar rotate for vertical shots? Can you give more specific info on where it can be purchased, and what they're officially called?
Thanks.

rent

http://ppl.de/news/hasselblad-news-2/569-xhc-klammer.html

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on February 08, 2018, 04:44:00 PM
Does the tripod collar rotate for vertical shots? Can you give more specific info on where it can be purchased, and what they're officially called?
Thanks.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks rent. At first I thought it was just for XH, but evidently it can also be used with the Kipon. Thanks for the link.
That's exactly how I'd like to use it - with the Kipon and CF 250 lens. Would make rotation easier. Right now I use a custom made bracket from RRS parts. Rotating for vertical shots takes time, since I have to remove the lens, rotate it, then remount it.

However, the link to a US purchase does not seem to be working.

satijntje

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on February 09, 2018, 03:55:12 PM
At first I thought it was just for XH, but evidently it can also be used with the Kipon. Thanks for the link.

Its not 100% perfect, but it works.
Get in contact with ppl.de, that is where I had bought mine

Good luck
John

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks. PPL does not seem to have a valid or active link for purchase in the US.

sog1927

To answer the original question: Ansel Adams shot Moon and Half Dome with a Hasselblad 500c and the 250mm Sonnar. I figure if it's good enough for Ansel, it's good enough for me.