Battery Grip (Hasselblad H3D)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bashir Lunat

Hello everybody,
I bought a grip from an online store.It is a used item without batteries. It takes three CR123 type cells. The grip has no charging socket meaning I would have to use a separate charger. Please advise me which CR123 I should buy as there are so many available. Or should I look for a rechargeable grip? I will still be looking for the batteries!

NickT

The CR123s are expensive and don't last that long so definitely look for rechargeable ones.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Bashir Lunat

Thanks Nick,
There are different capacity CR123 type rechargeable on the market, any perticular or do I have tolook for 1850mah which is not easily found.

DJPixelMan

This is the best that I could find on Amazon. But, as Nick said, they don't last too long before you need to change the batteries, so rather bite the bullet and buy a rechargeable grip battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MaximalPower-3-7-600-Li-ion-Battery/dp/B0088WF552/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513198791&sr=1-5&keywords=rechargable+cr123a+battery

Simon Bran

some time ago, when I had a H2x I was told by hasselblad  uk not to use rechargable batterys in that grip, I was having problems with the digital back, and I was told the output from rechargaeble battery is not the same as the standard battery. Once I stopped using them the problems stopped. I don't know if that is the current recomendation or if it's still an issue now with newer backs, but it might be worth getting hasselblad to confirm they are ok
Simon.

ChrisL

The rechargeable CR123 batteries are not in the same class as AA and AAA type. The advertised CR123 capacities are related to slow long discharge not the high power bursts required when using autofocus lenses etc. and the voltage is not the same as "standard" cells.The Nikon F6 also takes CR123 and there are many discussions on this, the consensus seems to be to pay for the Lithium non rechargeable type to get the best life, in rolls in that case. Long term a "proper" battery and charger will I suspect be required as the chance of the CR123 even Lithium powering the camera and back for long is not high.

You should also bear in mind what the H3D manual says:
"The Battery grip rechargeable 7.2V (3043348) is the standard power source for the H3D camera."
"It is therefore advisable to keep the reserve grip complete with fresh lithium batteries handy if you do not use a spare rechargeable grip."

Bashir Lunat

Thanks Simon.
Thanks Chris.

So, I suppose this battery grip is not actually meant for H3D but rather H1 or H cameras with film backs.
Would you reckone  Lithium non rechargeable will be OK for a couple of dozen shots?

DJPixelMan

"Would you reckone  Lithium non rechargeable will be OK for a couple of dozen shots?"

Yes, but I don't really think that you would get a couple of dozen shots before having to change the batteries. As I suggested, rather invest in the proper Hasselblad rechargeable grip battery. It will pay for itself after a relatively short period of time.

ChrisL

Quote from: Bashir Lunat on December 15, 2017, 01:47:02 AM
Thanks Simon.
Thanks Chris.

So, I suppose this battery grip is not actually meant for H3D but rather H1 or H cameras with film backs.
Would you reckone  Lithium non rechargeable will be OK for a couple of dozen shots?

It depends how you use the camera, turn on, manual focus, shoot and turn off with no review is going to be very different than turn on, autofocus a zoom lens, reframe re-focus repeat a few times, shoot then review zooming to check focus on the screen going to the corners to check them then leave on until auto shutdown. You can be frugal and eek out the life, only way is to use as you normally do and check how many shots you get, those Lithiums are going to soon add up to a rechargeable grip and charger I'm afraid.

Bashir Lunat

Thanks Chris and DJ,
I bought this frip without thinking about its useability with my current camera. I wanted it as a spare power source but I am gonna have to hunt for a proper grip.
Regards.

ChrisL

Quote from: Bashir Lunat on December 15, 2017, 03:05:30 PM
Thanks Chris and DJ,
I bought this frip without thinking about its useability with my current camera. I wanted it as a spare power source but I am gonna have to hunt for a proper grip.
Regards.
Plenty about but hard to tell how hard they have been used, I would try and buy from a dealer with some guarantee for return if the charge held is not good. Unlike almost every H camera component they have no  lifetime count. Other than using one, after re-setting (see details on the forum how to do that) and assessing it I know of no way. Some clever shooters have replaced the rechargeable batteries in old grips as well but not for the faint of heart.

Ralf Mueller

Hi Bashir,
not sure where you are located, i have a spare battery grip for the H3D that I don't need anymore since i upgraded to the H6D this year. Its really just
sitting around here on my shelf getting dusty. Let me know and I'll send it to you.

Like others said already, the grip with the CR123 batteries is really just for the case where you're in the middle of the desert, your normal battery grip
is out of power and you're after this one more shot to be nominated for the Pulitzer Prize 8)

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: Ralf Mueller on December 15, 2017, 10:20:10 PM
Hi Bashir,
not sure where you are located, i have a spare battery grip for the H3D that I don't need anymore since i upgraded to the H6D this year. Its really just
sitting around here on my shelf getting dusty. Let me know and I'll send it to you.

Like others said already, the grip with the CR123 batteries is really just for the case where you're in the middle of the desert, your normal battery grip
is out of power and you're after this one more shot to be nominated for the Pulitzer Prize 8)
Thanks Ralf, I am near Leeds in West Yorkshire, UK. Please PM me if still available. Regards.