New iMac Pro

Previous topic - Next topic

fsprow

It will be released this week.  Does anyone know if the multiple cores (8,10,14,18) available for this machine can be use by Phocus or Lightroom to process faster, or is the capability wasted.  I see the improvement in video processing speed is very large.

Thanks.

Dustbak

Phocus uses every core available (at least it does with my 10-core MacPro). It is also using the video memory heavily. So yes, I think it will be a big step forward with Phocus. Actually I am thinking of replacing my MacPro 10-core machine with an Imac Pro (when the 14 or 18 core comes out next month).

fsprow

Thanks very much.  Will probably order the 14 core unless the prices (yet to be announced) are really crazy.

Hassilistic

Quote from: Dustbak on December 14, 2017, 01:02:02 AM
Phocus uses every core available (at least it does with my 10-core MacPro). It is also using the video memory heavily. So yes, I think it will be a big step forward with Phocus. Actually I am thinking of replacing my MacPro 10-core machine with an Imac Pro (when the 14 or 18 core comes out next month).
You are better off with a Processor swap!
I just upgraded the processor on mine.  It is alot cheaper specially if you are unable to sell your older one for a decent price:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/MacPro2013/2013_Xeon_Processor/Apple_Mac_Pro_2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJX5YQY_4LI

Dustbak

I already did that. I now use the 10-Core 3.0ghz processor. The new iMacPro is still significantly faster... Probably the new MacPro will beat it but that one is still somewhere in the future (we all hope). I went from appr. 20K on geekbench to appr. 25K on geekbench when I swapped my 6-core processor to the 10-core processor. The new iMacPro gets to 37K multicore score!! It beats the crap out of the 2013 MacPro and that is just the processor cores. Imagine 3 year newer GPU cards!

fsprow

Have the new iMac Pro (10 core) now (from local Apple Store).  Bringing in 100 or so images from my CFast card through a USB-3 connection, processing with Phocus, converting to TIFFs and filing on an external drive through Thunderbird 3 - the elapsed time was less than half the normal using my 2016 MacBook Pro. The 5K display, corrected to Adobe RGB, looks very close to my calibrated external monitor, which will go on the Bay.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Dustbak

Merry Christmas! My iMac Pro is on its way. I am really curious now!

fsprow

Would be especially interested in what you think of the built in display.  I had little time / knowledge to compare.

Dustbak

I will tell you. Funny that you mention it. I used a 30" Mac screen 10 years ago and never had a complaining customer. I started using a 30" EIZO screen (top of the line) and had numerous complains about dull images that lack contrast and saturation. Over the years I have pressed myself pushing my images sofar in contrast it would make myself almost puke but clients actually liked that and considered them normal. Only the clients that were limiting their usage of images for print I did not go over the top with contrast and saturation (these have always been happy). Maybe it is not so strange since 95% uses  images on screens (which are often 'cheap office screens').

I wonder what will happen with this screen :)

Dustbak

Wow!! This is by far the most extreme machine I ever owned (and I have had them all). Processing a H5D40 file takes under 3 seconds! The screen is gorgeous and it seems it lets itself get calibrated pretty easily. I was wondering how annoying I would find the glossiness over the matte screen I am used to of my Eizo screen. Sofar no real issues. Yes, I sometimes see the things behind me in the screen but not so much that it get terribly annoying.

I really like the fact my desk and beneath my desk has become a lot neater.

Did I mention the performance improvement? Unbelievable!

fsprow

Just as I have found. A terrific unit.

By the way I am using the Sonnet SF3 CFast card reader and Thunderbolt 3 cable attached to it, using one of the T3 ports on the iMac Pro.  Talk about rapid card reading into Phocus !

fsprow

Sounds like I'm selling stuff, but am very pleased with the 6TB La Cie d2 Thunderbolt 3 external drive.

Hassilistic

Quote from: fsprow on January 09, 2018, 10:09:29 AM
Sounds like I'm selling stuff, but am very pleased with the 6TB La Cie d2 Thunderbolt 3 external drive.
You should also be able to daisy chain several of those drives Via Thunderbolt, as I've done with my GRAID drives!