27" 2017 iMac ?

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt R

Greetings,

Looking to replace/upgrade my early 2008 Mac Pro desktop machine.  Just wondering if any of you are using the iMac for processing Hasselblad files and what your experience has been.  The Mac Pro is the 2x3.2Ghz Quadcore Intel Xeon, 32GB ram and an ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB.  Been a great workhorse but it won't run Sierra. The new iMac displays are beautiful but wonder how it will compare to the Eizo CG301W I'm using now?  Any thoughts or observations appreciated.  The iMac Pro is suppose to be out this month but I really need to make a purchase before the end of the year.
Any information appreciated.

Kind regards,

Kurt

NickT

Hi Kurt
First off, I always check here before buying a new mac:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

I'm running a 27" 2013 32 Gig RAM 3.5ghz processor and 4Gig Nvidia and it's rock solid and plenty fast. Probably look to upgrade to an iMac pro next year when the dust settles. The screens are nice but more suited to watching action movies than careful editing so I run an Eizo off to the side for the main image and use the iMac screen for pallettes/thumbnails etc.

Hope that helps
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Kurt R

Thank you Nick, just the info I was looking for. Thumbs up to the macrumors buyers guide.  Seems like the iMac will do just fine. You don't happen to know where I can find a Thunderbolt 3 to DVI cable for the Eizo?

NickT

Kurt let me have a look when I'm in the studio tomorrow.... So many cables...

NickT

Kurt my Eizo is a CG277 and it has a display port (which I had forgotten about). This is the cable I'm using:

Available from:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00C7RJQPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512505873&sr=1-1&keywords=displayport+to+thunderbolt

I have noticed a few times of late that the Eizo seems to forget what resolution it should be running and I'm wondering if the cable might be the issue so I might look at other solutions to trouble shoot.

Here's a thunderbolt to HDMI:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0134V3KIA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512506196&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi+thunderbolt

NickT

Here's what my tether station looks like (For some reason the Eizo photographs very magenta!):

hgtate

Hi Kurt,
The present 27" iMac have a P3 wide colour gamut which is much larger than the adobe gamut of the Eizo monitors. From what I've read the 4.2GHz i7 iteration will be faster than your present setup. I have the previous 4.0GHz machine and it processes the files from the H6D-100c without problem. Take the plunge!

NickT

Kurt R

Hello Nick & hgtate,

Thanks Nick for posting the pics of your setup.  Thank you hgtate for sharing the info about the P3 gamut & your experience using the iMac for Phocus processing.  I've placed an order with apple for the 27" with upgraded 4.2GZ i7 processor w/1T ssd.  Got 64GB of 3rd party ram on the way also.  Just couldn't justify $1400 for factory ram when 3rd party is only $600.  After a bit of research on the Eizo site looks like I won't be able to run mine on the new setup as it's the older dvi interface and isn't supported for native resolution or refresh rate.  The Phillips monitor sure looks interesting and the price is attractive by comparison to current Eizo offerings.
Thanks again for the info and feedback.

rem

The P3 color space is really not larger then the Adobe RGB. It's a different color space and better for some video work instead of photography.