X2D, is this a serious posting?

Previous topic - Next topic

satijntje

I found this on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HLooFJ9QaA

What do you think, is this something serious that has to be considered within the coming 6-12 months???

John

rent

Not surprised. And so will the X3D come in a few years.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

sanglier

that they are already starting to produce the lenses

Eric Borgström

Just the specification of the roadmapped Sony sensor.
Will probably be used in an eventual X2D. But Q1 2018, not.
Only if they announce way ahead of time as they did the X1D under soft spoken Perry Oosting.

BradP

This upcoming Sony sensor and 100MP Hasselblad and Fuji backs have been rumored for about a year.  The sensor was announced by Sony I think early this year.   Here are the latest public specs, which seem to be the same as those in the video (except the video says the X2D will come in early 2018, while Sony says the sensor will be available sometime during the year). https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/application/index.html.  I'm only speaking from loose memories of reading rumors, but I'd expect the sensor to be in full production sometime around the second half of 2018.  Can anyone give us better view on timing the sensor at least will be available?  I would think H would want to have many more lenses available before issuing Version 2 of its X1D back.  ::)

Importantly it does look like this sensor will be backlit, not only offering 100 MP but probably increased dynamic range and other advantages.  Sony developed this technology a while ago, but it made a bit of a splash with their A7RII. For more on backlit sensors see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-illuminated_sensor

ChrisL

Quote from: satijntje on November 20, 2017, 09:23:38 AM

What do you think, is this something serious that has to be considered within the coming 6-12 months???
John

It sounds as if you have only just realised that digital photography is a huge bottomless pit into which your money is poured.

Look at computers, remember the fuss and excitement when a new CPU was announced and everyone upgraded, do you even know which CPU your devices have now?
We are rapidly approaching the time when the actual camera sensor is the least important component, ergonomics, inbuilt tricks like auto focus stacking and lenses will be the deciding factors in a purchase very soon if not already for many.
How long is it since we all got excited when Hasselblad ramped up production for the demand, that market is small and probably saturated now they need to keep the wheel spinning or revenues die.
Personally I'm looking forward to picking up an X1-D for literally a fraction of the new price, look at the cost now of any earlier Hasselblad D series against the new price, they may even start to reduce the new price aggressively very soon rather than have dead stock just like they did with the HD series, it buys shooters into the lens series where the ongoing sales lie.

tcdeveau

It definitely is a consideration, but then again there is always something new around the corner with cameras these days, regardless of manufacturer.  I love my X1D, but the X1D and GFX have sensors that are about 4 years old in them....which is pretty ancient in terms of camera lifespans these days.  Both Fuji and Hasselblad got more out of the sensor (such as on sensor multi-point AF) in a much smaller package than previous cameras that used this chip, but it wasn't hard to speculate that there would be something new around the corner, even at launch.

I jumped on the X1D earlier this year and I don't regret my decision, but for anyone looking to get into one now, I'd recommend waiting.  If you can afford the latest and greatest, the new 100mp 33mm x 44mm chip looks like a pretty significant step up from the current 50mp one, and I'm sure the next gen X2D or whatever will be a big step up from the X1D . Otherwise, the current X1D is probably only going to go down in price from here (see, for example, the discounts Fuji has on the GFX already). 

Given the speed at which Hasselblad has been releasing X-system components, and that the X1D hasn't even really been shipping in bulk for even a year, I wouldn't expect to see a next gen X1D shipping until Q4 2018 or 2019 or later.  At the moment, I'd rather see them concentrate on getting the newly announced lenses out to end users than a new X camera. 

hcubell

I am quite sure we will see the X2D announced by Photokina in September, 2018, perhaps earlier. Shipping, who knows. I think the new 100MP Sony sensor is probably quite far along, as it has been formally announced with some specifications.

cementjungle

Quote from: tcdeveau on November 21, 2017, 05:38:50 AM

Given the speed at which Hasselblad has been releasing X-system components, and that the X1D hasn't even really been shipping in bulk for even a year, I wouldn't expect to see a next gen X1D shipping until Q4 2018 or 2019 or later.  At the moment, I'd rather see them concentrate on getting the newly announced lenses out to end users than a new X camera. 

In addition to getting the promised lenses out, they need to "finish" the X1D and make it ready for prime time. Basic things like dual memory card support, Android support for basic shutter control, etc.

If they can't/won't deliver on their first X1D model then who's going to trust them on subsequent models?
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

Hassilistic

Hassilistic

Quote from: BradP on November 20, 2017, 10:37:48 AM
will come in early 2018, while Sony says the sensor will be available sometime during the year). https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/application/index.html.
Importantly it does look like this sensor will be backlit, not only offering 100 MP
The IMX411 chip capable of 150MP sounds more interesting than the other one.  with a bigger pixel size...

tcdeveau

Quote from: Hassilistic on November 21, 2017, 08:51:23 PM
Quote from: BradP on November 20, 2017, 10:37:48 AM
will come in early 2018, while Sony says the sensor will be available sometime during the year). https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/application/index.html.
Importantly it does look like this sensor will be backlit, not only offering 100 MP
The IMX411 chip capable of 150MP sounds more interesting than the other one.  with a bigger pixel size...

Do you have a source for the X1D-100c name? 

The 150mp IMX411 sensor is a 40mm x 54mm full-frame MF sensor, so that sensor is more likely destined for the H-system and P1 IQ system than the Hasselblad X-system or Fuji GFX (which both currently uses the 33mm x 44mm size). 

WS Lam

I'd guess not in 2017. It takes a long time to integrate a new sensor. The biggest issue is whether the current sensor can handle double the amount of information the sensor will be churning out. The processor is very costly to develop, and to handle 100MP, 4k video etc will need a lot of processing power.
X1D 4116 Edition

Cliff S