Vignetting Comparison of 6 M Mount Lens on the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

WS Lam

My first post here. Hope to learn more from fellow members.

I took some test shots using 6 different M Mount 50mm lenses on the X1D using the Kipon M to X Adapter.

The 6 lenses are

Leica Noctilux 50 f0.95,
Summilux 50,
Summicron 50,
APO-Summicron 50,
Zeiss C Sonnar 50 f1.5, and the
MS-Optical Sonnetar 50mm f1.1

I took between 5 to 6 test shots with each lens. The purpose of this exercise is to see the amount of vignetting using these FF lenses on MF. There is no easy way to display the result, so I did it the lazy way and simply rename the files using the lens, and aperture used and did a screenshot of them in LR. This is meant to be a quick and dirty overview. I will do more tests in the coming days and will try to put together a more comprehensive write up.

You can also see the screenshot here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ygl6XPqDMahxLa6E2

Initial impression. Best lens on the X1D is the APO-Summicron 50. And to my surprise, the C Sonnar 50/1.5 also did quite well, and can become a 'special effect' lens with extremely dreamy edges. Vignetting can be taken care of with LR's lens profile plus additional adjustments.
X1D 4116 Edition

asfeir

Looking forward to get my adapter on Friday. Interested more into loss of resolution rather than light fall off away from the center and into the MF territory.

WS Lam

Out of the lot, I would only use the APO-Summicron 50 without hesitation. Here is a corrected (using LR only, to the best of my ability), uncropped image using the APO50 on the X1D.
X1D 4116 Edition

rent

Really appreciate this info! I've been curious about this for a while. Going to order the adapter soon.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

WS Lam

You are welcome! The 50APO is definitely usable. And the C Sonnar 50 and Summilux 50 are also workable if you don't mind a dreamy 'frame'.
X1D 4116 Edition

elwood

Quote from: WS Lam on November 08, 2017, 07:24:30 PM
You are welcome! The 50APO is definitely usable. And the C Sonnar 50 and Summilux 50 are also workable if you don't mind a dreamy 'frame'.

many thanks I saved 150€ :P
I was about to place an order for the kipon adapter ring. I'll wait a bit and have fun with my Summilux + M10 :)

Hassilistic

Thanks WS Lam for that comparison.
I like the Summilux 50mm f1.4 ASPH  as well.  For it gives similar results to Apo-Summicron M 50mm f2 ASPH, at similar Apertures. It also has an additional stop, and APO lens adds no advantage in this photo situation here.  Add to that it is almost £3000 cheaper and you really have a winner.

With that said, I think everyone should have the Apo-Summicron M 50mm f2 ASPH in there bag no matter what you shoot or which camera you shoot it with, it is absolutely amazing!

Imagecrazy

I will hold judgement until get my own kipon adapter, on order.  Not interested in the full sensor results, but the results cropped down to FF equivalent.  Anything outside that is a bonus, if you already own M lenses. 

WS Lam

Quote from: Hassilistic on November 08, 2017, 09:44:24 PM
Thanks WS Lam for that comparison.
I like the Summilux 50mm f1.4 ASPH  as well.  For it gives similar results to Apo-Summicron M 50mm f2 ASPH, at similar Apertures. It also has an additional stop, and APO lens adds no advantage in this photo situation here.  Add to that it is almost £3000 cheaper and you really have a winner.

With that said, I think everyone should have the Apo-Summicron M 50mm f2 ASPH in there bag no matter what you shoot or which camera you shoot it with, it is absolutely amazing!

The difference is with the APO50, the sharpness is relatively ok even at the corners. But with the Summilux 50, sharpness falls drastically as you approach the edges, and there's also quite a bit of distortion... somewhat correctable, but overall, the borders are quite smudged up.
X1D 4116 Edition