New to the Forum: X1D and Focusing

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

Hello, this is my first post here. I own X1D for about 6 months. I also have two lenses, the 45mm and 90mm. I love everything about my X1D - except ...

I suspect, there may be something wrong with my camera and the way it focuses. Here is description of what is happening:

I am in AF mode:
1. I position focusing square on the detail I want to have in focus, located within the frame
2. I press shutter 1/2 way, camera will start focusing and once it locks on, white square turns green
3. I then proceed with pressing shutter all the way to take picture - but the moment I depress the shutter all the way, the green square turns white and shutter fails to activate.
4. I have to release shutter all the way, press half way again, in continuous motion - and while I am pressing shutter, focusing square turns green and I have to continue pressing shutter all the way down until the shutter activates. I cannot stop at half-way point. I have to do it quickly, or the focusing square turns white again, and process has to be repeated.

As a result, I am missing lots of shots. Even when I shot at 1/2000s - some images are still out of focus. Never had so many frames out of focus as with my new X1D. Also, this process of "double-clicking" takes lots of time, which is not only annoying, but also way too slow process of shooting

My question is: is this the way X1D should operate, or am I doing something wrong ? Or perhaps, is there something wrong with the camera itself ?

Appreciate your feedback

Thank you

Milan

siddhaarta

I assume you maintain the pressure (half-way) on the release button between step 2 and step 3. If so, what you describe should NOT happen. Looks like a problem with the camera which requires service.

Try to change to MF (top left button) and use the back AF-D button to auto-focus and use the release button to shoot only. I work in this way all the time as I think it is better to separate the AF from the release button.

hugenoot

Hello Milan, I had the same issue and it start with one extra push but ended with more then 5 times. I made a movie during pressing the shutter button to capture what was wrong. This movie made Hasselblad decide to send me a new X1D. It took a few weeks to receive the new X1D, and had to take the faulty X1D on a vacation. I'm not sure if the following tip will help but what I did:

I pressing the shutter button from right to left (/) and not from top to bottom (|). I notice that the shutter button react normal this way. Then I start rotate the shutter button, you can do this with you nails with steps of about 30 degrees. And after two small rotations the shutter button react normal...

BillW

Quote from: Milan on November 04, 2017, 03:16:04 PM
Hello, this is my first post here. I own X1D for about 6 months. I also have two lenses, the 45mm and 90mm. I love everything about my X1D - except ...

I suspect, there may be something wrong with my camera and the way it focuses. Here is description of what is happening:

I am in AF mode:
1. I position focusing square on the detail I want to have in focus, located within the frame
2. I press shutter 1/2 way, camera will start focusing and once it locks on, white square turns green
3. I then proceed with pressing shutter all the way to take picture - but the moment I depress the shutter all the way, the green square turns white and shutter fails to activate.
4. I have to release shutter all the way, press half way again, in continuous motion - and while I am pressing shutter, focusing square turns green and I have to continue pressing shutter all the way down until the shutter activates. I cannot stop at half-way point. I have to do it quickly, or the focusing square turns white again, and process has to be repeated.

As a result, I am missing lots of shots. Even when I shot at 1/2000s - some images are still out of focus. Never had so many frames out of focus as with my new X1D. Also, this process of "double-clicking" takes lots of time, which is not only annoying, but also way too slow process of shooting

My question is: is this the way X1D should operate, or am I doing something wrong ? Or perhaps, is there something wrong with the camera itself ?

Appreciate your feedback

Thank you

Milan
Milan,
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue with my 1 month old X1D. The shutter will not trip when it obviously should.
Thanks
Bill

Nick Jafferson

Hi, Milan~
Maybe the best way is to contact your local service center for resolving this.

jberry

Quote from: hugenoot on November 04, 2017, 08:49:24 PM
Hello Milan, I had the same issue and it start with one extra push but ended with more then 5 times. I made a movie during pressing the shutter button to capture what was wrong. This movie made Hasselblad decide to send me a new X1D. It took a few weeks to receive the new X1D, and had to take the faulty X1D on a vacation. I'm not sure if the following tip will help but what I did:

I pressing the shutter button from right to left (/) and not from top to bottom (|). I notice that the shutter button react normal this way. Then I start rotate the shutter button, you can do this with you nails with steps of about 30 degrees. And after two small rotations the shutter button react normal...

Just want everyone to know that is having a similar problem with the Shutter / Release button, that this worked for me. When I first received my X1D 4116 everything was perfect, then a month later, the shutter button had a hard time firing, or activating the shutter. I would have to try more than once all the time. So this is what my friend and I did, we rotated it the orange shutter button itself counter clockwise using scotch tape (because finger nails were too slippery), 90 degrees, and now the shutter / release button works perfectly. So I am assuming maybe it got loose over time, or rotated on its own where its not hitting the correct spot. Maybe this will save some of us some time, thank you hugenoot!!

BillW

I hope that fixed your issue. My X1D had to go back to Sweden and it took several weeks but I have never had another issue with it. Not sure what was replaced but it was more than just the shutter button. FWIW
Thanks
Bill

braver

I had that with the X1D but it went away after I started pushing the trigger carefully.  Rocking it well.  Feel it.  Become one with the machine, find its tender sweet spot!:). Hope you work it our Milan, good to see you here from Leica S forum!  And fortunately nothing like that with the MkII.

jberry

Quote from: braver on October 04, 2019, 01:32:06 PM
I had that with the X1D but it went away after I started pushing the trigger carefully.  Rocking it well.  Feel it.  Become one with the machine, find its tender sweet spot!:). Hope you work it our Milan, good to see you here from Leica S forum!  And fortunately nothing like that with the MkII.

Cool! I have a Portrait Shoot tomorrow, gonna really work out the shutter button. I hope I found the sweet spot and it becomes permanent :) its good to hear that the Mark II fixes that problem.