SD Card Door Crack

Previous topic - Next topic

satijntje

Indeed, Joe , you are right.
My mistake
Lets wait and see what Blad is going to offer
John

BillW

My repaired X1D is in shipping back to me. The repaired part is NOT metal according to the representative I have been communicating with. She said that if it were to crack again which she was not likely they would repair it again under warranty. I just need to get back my X1D and begin shooting again. I need to decide on my next lens. I want the zoom but might settle for a 30. I love this camera.
Thanks
Bill

jstires00

No crack here and no evidence of a "knit line". When plastic molds fill with molten plastic they typically do so from more than one direction. The 'meeting place' is called the knit line and it CAN be a weak point if the molten plastic has even the slightest difference in temperature. Obviously molds are engineered to heat, fill and release from the tool to produce a homogeneously formed part. Perpendicular holes are formed as pins move in (and out) as the mold opens and closes. Sharp, square areas next to a pin creates weak points. HB knows all this, duh, but I found out the hard way while inventing temperature recording electro-mechanical instrumentation. Quite an education. It's a shame, sorry gang.

BillW

Unfortunately when my repaired X1D arrived, the hinge was already cracked again and this time a both ends. My only option is to have them fix again. It is too late to return for a refund through B&H. I tried and they refused. Not happy. I cannot complain about Hasselblad as they have been very responsive and concerned. Even if they offered an exchange, what are the chances the exchanged camera will have the same issue.
Thanks
Bill

JoeC

Quote from: BillW on January 25, 2018, 02:59:41 AMUnfortunately when my repaired X1D arrived, the hinge was already cracked again and this time a both ends.

Bill, that's terrible. I wonder how could that be possible if they truly repaired your camera with a known-good replacement part. Let us know what you learn from Hasselblad.

Joe

BillW

Thanks
Bill

Seekwul

Quote from: BillW on January 25, 2018, 02:59:41 AM
Unfortunately when my repaired X1D arrived, the hinge was already cracked again and this time a both ends. My only option is to have them fix again. It is too late to return for a refund through B&H. I tried and they refused. Not happy. I cannot complain about Hasselblad as they have been very responsive and concerned. Even if they offered an exchange, what are the chances the exchanged camera will have the same issue.

I have until next week to take my back to B&H, but I still want an X1D. So I took it back this past weekend and they pulled another one from inventory for me, and that one was also cracked out of the box. I wound up just taking my original one home. The returns guy pointed out that I have now experienced 2 out of 3 NIB already cracked, so even if he pulled a third one, he'd expect that at some point it too would crack. He offered to keep pulling them, but I didn't want to waste everyone's time. I think we just need to wait until a replacement part is widely available - which sort of sucks for an $11K body, but these kinds of things seem to happen frequently with first of a new kind bodies with many manufacturers. At least the firmware updates have been coming.

Imagecrazy

Very sorry to hear the replacement part has cracked already.  Will just sit tight on mine until Hasselblad gets it right.  If totally fails at the hinge, hoping camera will remain usable even if have to tape the door closed.  But, this shouldn't be a problem.  Am handling mine very gently.  Please, Hasselblad, fix this.

BillW

My 2nd door hinge repair seems to be fine. Not sure if it is a new type of plastic and I have read about but I celebrated and bought a used 90 off eBay. It works great and now I am looking at at 30....!!!!
Thanks
Bill

tedtrimmer

My door is also cracked; disappointing, I plan to continue shooting and hope that Hasselblad is able to remedy this minor point.  What a wonderful camera!!!  Great lenses and the photographs sell well.  Grateful to own the camera and the four lenses.