SD Card Door Crack

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

and mine is fine and in mint condition since day on (January 2017)...

frogfisher

BillW

Just noticed my 10 day old 4116 camera has the same hairline crack. Bought from B&H. I will contact them but hate to return it knowing it might be the same with a replacement. 
Thanks
Bill

BillW

FWIW,
I contacted Hasselblad service through email. They responded very quickly. They requested a picture of the crack and a copy of sales receipt. Not sure what will happen but I did ask it they would send me the part and they declined as it would not be a warranted item if I did the repair. I will report what happens next. Thanks
Thanks
Bill

BillW

I have communicated back and forth with Hasselblad in NJ and they have agreed to fix my SD door hinge under warranty. I will be shipping my X1D to them on Monday. I will let you know how it progresses. They said that they did have the "side doors" in stock for the repair. Thanks Bill
Thanks
Bill

Greg

Honestly, I would not be interested in a warranty fix from Hasselblad until they have a replacement unit that wasn't so delicate and prone to damage.  I don't ever remember putting ANY pressure AT ALL on my SD card door, and mine is cracked!  If it is so delicate, and no one remembers putting enough pressure on it to break it, Hasselblad must reassure us that they have a new design that will be sturdy enough to survive normal usage.  I have a feeling that most of us with the problem are very careful with our large investment in the camera and treat it with great care.  At least, I know I do not abuse my camera in any way.

Greg     

Imagecrazy

Quote from: BillW on January 06, 2018, 01:08:36 PM
I have communicated back and forth with Hasselblad in NJ and they have agreed to fix my SD door hinge under warranty. I will be shipping my X1D to them on Monday. I will let you know how it progresses. They said that they did have the "side doors" in stock for the repair. Thanks Bill
Are they paying for shipping?

BillW

Quote from: Imagecrazy on January 07, 2018, 05:05:15 AM
Quote from: BillW on January 06, 2018, 01:08:36 PM
Are they paying for shipping?
They will pay for return shipping. I figure I would go ahead and get mine fixed and see what the next hinge did with the care I give my cameras. I think it is somewhat the pressure of the spring and design of that area of the hinge that makes it crack. we will see. Thanks Bill
Thanks
Bill

BillW

Hasselblad received my X1D on Thursday the 11th. The tech support person I had been emailing with contacted me on Friday the 12th in the  afternoon to let me know they had completed the repair and would ship it back to me on Monday. I was stunned to say the least. I have never had that kind of service on a camera before. If all goes well, I will have my X1D back next week. Will report what the outcome is. Thanks, Bill
Thanks
Bill

Seekwul

Anyone know if the new bodies shipping from Hasselblad have the new part fitted ? My reseller wants me to bring my camera back and swap it for a new one, but I don't want to swap it out for the same thing.... and feel a little weird about swapping a 2 month old camera for a brand new one over this.

Greg

My concern is that Hasselblad may be repairing cameras with cracked hinges with exactly the same part as the ones that have cracked.  Before I have my camera repaired, I want Hasselblad to assure us that the new part is stronger and will not break as easily as the flimsy one that came from the factory.

Greg

BillW

Quote from: Greg on January 15, 2018, 01:14:07 PM
My concern is that Hasselblad may be repairing cameras with cracked hinges with exactly the same part as the ones that have cracked.  Before I have my camera repaired, I want Hasselblad to assure us that the new part is stronger and will not break as easily as the flimsy one that came from the factory.

Greg
I am not sure if the new part is better than the cracked one but I will have my camera back next Monday the 22nd. If it cracks again, I will send it back again. They either have an issue with their assembly procedure when manufactured or the spring is too stiff and pushes till the hinge breaks. It is strange that all of the cracked hinges are in the same place. Like a lot of issues reported on forums, there are a lot of folks that do not have any issues. I am hoping that there were a batch of bad door assembly's and this will take care of it. No manufacturer will release how many units they have produced and shipped and how many have had an issue. 
Thanks
Bill

satijntje

The new part that will replace the SD card holder will NOT be of that black plastic anymore but from metal.
This has been posted on Facebook group already some time ago https://www.facebook.com/groups/HasselbladX1D/

John

Greg

Thanks a lot.  It would have been reassuring if Hasselblad had communicated this, but alas, Hasselblad is Hasselblad.

Greg

JoeC

Quote from: satijntje on January 17, 2018, 07:34:44 PM
The new part that will replace the SD card holder will NOT be of that black plastic anymore but from metal.
This has been posted on Facebook group already some time ago https://www.facebook.com/groups/HasselbladX1D/

John

Perhaps. But the photo does not show a new part. The photo shows the current camera construction. The plastic parts that crack are shown here with the red arrows. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Joe