SD Card Door Crack

Previous topic - Next topic

JST

New to the forum and catching up on reading. Thought I would add my voice to the chorus. On my camera the upper hinge point appears to be developing a small crack. The camera is only a few months old and I could not have opened that hatch more than a dozen times. it looks like a manufacturing defect. Possibly the rod is a bit too large for the plastic supports or the alignment of the plastic pieces is not correct and is inducing stress fractures. Just a guess.

tedtrimmer

As long as the SD Card Door continues to work I will not be looking for a repair.  Hasselblad is a small company with limited resources and an owner for whom the bottom line needs to remain in the black.

Tom Akin

Imagecrazy

Mine has crack also.  Darn it!  I bet was there from the start.  Not good, Hasselblad!  In general, the build quality is not up to Leica.  Is a shame.  I treat it gently.  But don't think will be investing in more lenses until chicken +$#,!!! like this is fixed under warranty.  Does anyone recommend glue?

satijntje

Don't play around with glue.
Simply wait a few day/weeks.
I am confident that Hasselblad will come up with a solution for this problem....

John

JoeC

My SD card door isn't cracked or broken but I can see how it could happen. Just a little leverage in the downward direction would likely cause a crack or break in the plastic retaining hinge part. This thread has alerted me to a potential problem and I'll be very careful when opening and closing the SD card door.

Joe

satijntje

I received important news from the Hasselblad user support team related to the cracking SD door holder:
Replacement parts are being forwarded to key partners and regional distributors, so that local service can be offered in January 2018.

John

Imagecrazy

But, will it be covered under warranty or will it cost still?

JimBrennan

Mine has same hairline crack in same location. I'm putting glue over it to stop it from getting worse.
I'm going to dispense super glue into a puddle and suck it up with an insulin needle and dispense it over the crack.
Because...
A) I can't bear shipping something this expensive in the mail.
B) The shipping charges to overnight, and insure at full value cost me $250.

*My camera is mint, no marks anywhere and never has been roughly handled. IMHO it is a manufacturing defect. Metals and plastics expand and contract with changes in temperature. With the way these bodies heat up, I'm sure it happened by itself.

siddhaarta

Mine is cracked too. As far as I can see, the whole plastic assembly (two doors) could be easily replaced, unscrewing 3 screws.

So maybe we should ask Hasselblad to send us this part, as soon as they have one without the construction failure, so we can replace it by ourselves without sending the expensive camera to Sweden.

JST

Jim, I would not use glue. Two reasons. One, if the glue goes anywhere other than where you intend it to go, it could cause you some problems. Second, and this is a guess, you may compromise your warranty. Attempting to make a repair may result in your having to pay for future issues. Could be wrong, and if someone knows differently, please correct me.

satijntje

Quote from: siddhaarta on December 20, 2017, 08:21:16 AM
Mine is cracked too. As far as I can see, the whole plastic assembly (two doors) could be easily replaced, unscrewing 3 screws.

So maybe we should ask Hasselblad to send us this part, as soon as they have one without the construction failure, so we can replace it by ourselves without sending the expensive camera to Sweden.

Please read my posting on this page!

JimBrennan

Quote from: satijntje on December 20, 2017, 08:19:09 PM
Quote from: siddhaarta on December 20, 2017, 08:21:16 AM

Please read my posting on this page!

That's a brilliant idea!

ndwgolf

Quote from: Imagecrazy on December 17, 2017, 03:25:23 AM
Mine has crack also.  Darn it!  I bet was there from the start.  Not good, Hasselblad!  In general, the build quality is not up to Leica.  Is a shame.  I treat it gently.  But don't think will be investing in more lenses until chicken +$#,!!! like this is fixed under warranty.  Does anyone recommend glue?
You mention that the build quality is not as good as Leica. Well I have many Leica cameras and for one the build quality of the Leica gear is very very good. As for the Leica S system, I cant say the same. I have 3 leica S lenses that all needed to be sent back to Leica for a failed AF motor. I had a S006 that had the leather outer casing peel off and lastly my Leica S007 that was only 2 months old had to be replaced due to a internal malfunction............saying all that, Leica did fix all three lenses for free, gave me a loaner lens when my last S120 lens failed and also gave me a loaner S007 while they replaced the damaged one.
I do not own a X1D yet but I am in the process of getting one.........and very excited about getting it

Neil

alex_tseli