X1d and Leica M lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

sanglier

I would be interested to put zeiss nikon ZF2 on the X1D. Maybe Kippon will one day make an adapter.

siddhaarta

Quote from: sanglier on November 07, 2017, 08:34:50 PM
I would be interested to put zeiss nikon ZF2 on the X1D. Maybe Kippon will one day make an adapter.

This already exists (Nikon G-X1D) !

Bashir Lunat

Quote from: satijntje on November 04, 2017, 06:23:52 AM
Got the KIPON adapter and attached an 1957 Leica M Summicron just for fun.
Not bad at all. Vignetting is less then expected
Need to fetch some other Leica glass from my friends and will post some more info soon

Cheers

John

Thanks John, I wonder what VC lenses like 12,15mm are like!
I think ability to use non Hasselblad lenses will push up the used X1D value.
I am looking for a well used but operationallt faultless X1D?  ;)

asfeir

Just got the adapter, and started some tests.
Since someone asked VC 15 does very well, cropping out the vignetting, becomes a good 14mm.
Will be doing more testing and posting results soon.

Ario

Quote from: sanglier on November 07, 2017, 08:34:50 PM

It is already possible:you can stack an existing Nik to M adapter on top of the M to X1D. In the same way you can also use lenses in almost any mount on your X1D.

joelypolly

Anyone tried any of the Leica wide-angle lenses?

jcheld

I have an adapter on order since I have several M lenses and am anxious to try out. To be clear, do you need to use electronic shutter with M. Lenses?

Cliff S

It's the only shutter you'll have. X1D shutters are in the actual lens

asfeir

Quote from: joelypolly on November 13, 2017, 12:51:11 PM

I have tried the CV 15, the summilux 21, the elmarit 28, summilux 50, summicron 90, and macro elmar 90. All work fairly well, but roughly speaking only 80% of the picture is usable when you remove the dark corners. Rule of thumb, this means the lens will have effectively the same focal length. I have not tested all of the lenses thoroughly,  but I noticed that longer focus lenses have less vignetting.
And yes, you need to use ES. I find this very convenient even hand-held unless you are shooting moving subjects. One issue, since the diaphragm is not closing and opening, there is no sound at all when a picture is taken.

aikbo

Quote from: rent on November 07, 2017, 09:52:55 AM
The latest X1D firmware supports electronic shutter.

Quote from: aikbo on November 07, 2017, 09:39:26 AM
On august 12 2016 I wondered if some third party manufacturer could make an adaptor for M lenses. Nick T answered one would still need a central shutter because of a missing plane shutter. How is this issue resolved with this new adapter?

Can anyone explain me why the X1D lenses still have a mechanical shutter?

aikbo

[/quote]

Can anyone explain me why the X1D lenses still have a mechanical shutter?

[/quote]

I found out already;

The camera will use the Rolling Shutter available
on the sensor which has a read-out time of
approximately 300 ms. This will cause distortion
of the image if the camera or subject is moving
during the exposure. A tripod and a stationary
subject is recommended.
• ISO will be limited to 3200.
• Full image quality is not guaranteed.
• Shutter speed range is 68 minutes to 1/10000
sec.
• Flash is disabled.
• Continuous drive is disabled.
• True Exposure is disabled.

Dimitric

Hello Asfeir -

Would you mind to upload a couple of exemples?
Even at small size.

I'm interested by the wide angle of Leica® (eg. Summilux 21).

Thank you,

- Dimitri

Quote from: asfeir on November 14, 2017, 02:41:46 AM
Quote from: joelypolly on November 13, 2017, 12:51:11 PM

I have tried the CV 15, the summilux 21, the elmarit 28, summilux 50, summicron 90, and macro elmar 90. All work fairly well, but roughly speaking only 80% of the picture is usable when you remove the dark corners. Rule of thumb, this means the lens will have effectively the same focal length. I have not tested all of the lenses thoroughly,  but I noticed that longer focus lenses have less vignetting.
And yes, you need to use ES. I find this very convenient even hand-held unless you are shooting moving subjects. One issue, since the diaphragm is not closing and opening, there is no sound at all when a picture is taken.

Cliff S

So my Kipon M/X1D adapter arrived last night. I won't post samples but here's my take:

-The 135mm and 90mm f2 have no vignetting. (maybe a touch on the 90mm)
-the 16-18-21 WATE has no vignetting at 21mm
-the 35mm Summilux, 28mm Summaron have visible vignetting equivalent to one zoom push of the AF-D button. You can see that it removes just a but of the frame and I'd say we have 80% usable frame giving roughly a 40mp capture
-the 0.95 Noctilux has the most vignetting equivalent to 2 zoom-ins of the AF-D button, bringing it back to a 50mm capture at about 30mp

It's really nice shooting at wide apertures - indoors in dim light you can shoot at 1.4 or 0.95 and have relatively high shutter speeds of 1/250 and low ISO. This is really nice to have.

The Electronic shutter has too slow a scan rate and some types of lighting will create severe banding across the frame looking like dark and light horizontal bars at equivalent spacing. Turning off the guilty lights solves it, as does shooting, in several cases, at 100 iso.

Basically M lenses are extremely usable on the X1D, better IMHO using them on the SL. It's easy to focus and using wide apertures gives even more bokeh than the same aperture on an M10 or SL.

i set my C1 dial setting to A priority, Electronic shutter and the DOF button to be zoom. Very easy to press the DOF button with my pinky, zoom 100% and manually focus. the EVF, while, not the SL EVF is very capable in letting you nail focus.

The M lenses are much easier to focus manually than the X lenses as you know instinctively where you need to turn the focus, the throw is much shorter and quicker, whereas with the X lenses, you have no idea where you are focussed and have to turn back and forth to find focus.

My M lenses are now back in operation with the X1D! Very happy.

Imagecrazy

Got mine in the mail today.  So far just some quick shots taken with my M lenses, all older vintage, 35mm Summicron v4, 35mm Summilux, 50mm Summicron, and F1.0 Noctilux.  Not bad at all.  Will need to give it more time and practice.  And feels better in the hands than my M, actually. But my first impressions are my M 246 does a bit better with these lenses.  Only a side by side shot comparison will satisfy that curiosity.  But being able to use these lenses now for color on the X1d, am happy with that.  More choices.

Imagecrazy

Wanted to add, it was extremely hard to take the Kipon adapter off after trying a few M lenses.  So much so, doubt will use it much.  If anyone has a good way to improve this, please share.

The thing came with zero instructions, btw.  I put the adapter on first, then the M lenses.  Maybe would give more grip to put the adapter on the M lens first then put on and off the camera that way?

Shooting with the electronic shutter, no sound.  Was weird.  Not sure I could get used to that.  This will take more experimenting before decide if worth using.