X1d and Leica M lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

satijntje

Got the KIPON adapter and attached an 1957 Leica M Summicron just for fun.
Not bad at all. Vignetting is less then expected
Attention: this is the full 50mp image, no cropping at all!
Need to fetch some other Leica glass from my friends and will post some more info soon

Cheers

John

alkaabi

Hey that is cool, does it cover the whole sensor or did you have to crop the image? quality looks good, how is it compare to M body ?

satijntje

No crop. Image is full size.
I was also surprised to find out that the vignetting was not that dramatic.
The X1D images give you much more reserve when you want to crop your image.
X1D skin colors are better  then Leica for sure.
J

elwood

Quote from: satijntje on November 04, 2017, 07:26:30 AM
No crop. Image is full size.
I was also surprised to find out that the vignetting was not that dramatic.
The X1D images give you much more reserve when you want to crop your image.
X1D skin colors are better  then Leica for sure.
J

Where did you got your adapter from?
I wan to try my Summilux 50mm apsh  ;D

satijntje

Summilux 50mm ASPH will be very good on the X1D.
I have seen lux+X1D pics and they were great (better then Noctilux)
I got it from Ebay, selling from China: SH_PHOTO1
180 USD
If you need a link, let me know by pm.
Good luck
John

Cliff S

I ordered mine Monday. Still sitting somewhere in China. Good news you got yours so fast.

Are the photos 50MP and the RAW files still about 110MB?

satijntje

When using the X1D with Leica M glass, the original 3FR files remain indeed 110 MB, so there is no cropping inside the camera done.
Once imported into LR, a DNG of 67 MB is created with its original size of 8272x6200 pixels

John

Hassilistic

Gorgeous bokeh ! Buttery smooth.

asfeir

Did not know this adapter existed.
Does it focus throughout the range of the lens?

satijntje

Quote from: asfeir on November 05, 2017, 12:26:31 AM
Did not know this adapter existed.
Does it focus throughout the range of the lens?

Yes it does.

I have discovered that the battery life of the X1D increases significantly when using the MF M lenses.
About 100 shots and the battery is still 80% full.
So the native AF lenses must be consuming a significant volume of electricity.

John

Imagecrazy

Just ordered mine.  Figured for the cost, well worth trying my M lenses on the X1d.  Heck, if works as well or better than on my M, will be time to say good bye to my M which is the 246.  We shall see...

aikbo

On august 12 2016 I wondered if some third party manufacturer could make an adaptor for M lenses. Nick T answered one would still need a central shutter because of a missing plane shutter. How is this issue resolved with this new adapter?

rent

The latest X1D firmware supports electronic shutter.

Quote from: aikbo on November 07, 2017, 09:39:26 AM
On august 12 2016 I wondered if some third party manufacturer could make an adaptor for M lenses. Nick T answered one would still need a central shutter because of a missing plane shutter. How is this issue resolved with this new adapter?
Alex Jiang

Instagram

Michael H. Cothran

Great news. Thanks. I note that Kipon also has a "Hasselblad to X1D adapter." Wonder if this is for Hassy Zeiss lenses? If so, I would rather buy a used 120 Zeiss lens and the Kipon adapter than spend $4500 on the XCD 120. I feel confident that the XCD 120 will be a better lens overall, but, truth be told, the Zeiss 120 is still a marvel of a lens.

If B&H has started shipping, I better make up my mind quickly.

siddhaarta

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on November 07, 2017, 11:01:35 AM
Great news. Thanks. I note that Kipon also has a "Hasselblad to X1D adapter." Wonder if this is for Hassy Zeiss lenses? If so, I would rather buy a used 120 Zeiss lens and the Kipon adapter than spend $4500 on the XCD 120. I feel confident that the XDC 120 will be a better lens overall, but, truth be told, the Zeiss 120 is still a marvel of a lens.

If B&H has started shipping, I better make up my mind quickly.

Yes it is the V-Adapter for Carl Zeiss lenses. You should also consider the Leica R Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm as alternative for the XCD 120. Very compact lens and covers enough image circle for the 33x44 sensor (about 60mm diagonal as compared to the 55mm needed). Some people say it is still the best macro lens around. And the owner of Kipon told me that the R-X1D Adapter is in the making and coming soon.