XCD 120mm lens shipped

Previous topic - Next topic

tedtrimmer

Photographs taken with the 120mm lens would be gratefully viewed on our website.

JoeC

sanglier

Hello, can someone tell me (example in support) what is worth this 120 mm landscape. thank you all

(excuse English google translate) :-[

tedtrimmer

In the hands of an eminently qualified professional photographer like Joel Colson, this lens will allow the creation of great closeup photographs.  of course that assumes that the autofocus mechanism continues to work.....  The product reviews at B&H are not great.

hugenoot

Still no signs of delivery in NL...  >:(

sanglier

hello,
if I understand correctly, the 120 mm is purely macro, and is not excellent in general photo?

BradP

hugenoot

Quote from: galoubet on January 28, 2018, 02:59:21 AM
Quote from: hugenoot on January 27, 2018, 09:14:47 PM
Still no signs of delivery in NL...  >:(

Where are you looking? I see Calumet Netherlands has 3 lenses in stock (€ 4.719,00) - a new best seller! And Calumet Deutschland has 2 lenses (€ 4.599,00).

Thanks for this tip, Transcontinenta told me still no deliveries in NL...

hugenoot

I finally hold the 120mm but once on the camera I get: lens is not properly attached. The firmware is up to date, any solutions?

flash

I get this with the H adaptor sometimes. Clean the lens contacts. And then wiggle the lens in the lens mount a bit and it usually comes good.

Gordon

hugenoot

Quote from: flash on February 15, 2018, 09:57:43 AM
I get this with the H adaptor sometimes. Clean the lens contacts. And then wiggle the lens in the lens mount a bit and it usually comes good.

Gordon

Thanks, removed the battery, cleaned it and try another lens and put it back on again. No errors...  :)

JST

Quick question to the group. Has anyone used the lens for portraits? Also, since the firmware update for the lens, has anyone had problems? Part of my dilemma is whether to step out and purchase the 120, or wait for the 135. If anyone has some solid rumors on the timing for the 135, would greatly appreciate a note.

JST

Quote from: galoubet on March 12, 2018, 08:46:39 PM
Quote from: JST on March 12, 2018, 12:30:52 PM
Has anyone used the lens for portraits? Also, since the firmware update for the lens, has anyone had problems?

Yes, super sharp. Very impressed. I used the 90mm before and that's good too but I prefer a lens around 150mm for portraits but the 120mm will have to do for now (and probably forever). I did some tests a while back and the 120mm is a lot sharper than my old V-series 150mm sonnar.

No problems apart from the odd quirk that if you set the 120mm to near or far and change the lens to, say, 30mm it won't focus at all. But that's a camera firmware problem, not a lens problem. In any case assigning the c1 and c2 functions on the dial to these settings solves the problem handsomely.

Thanks Galoubet. I was using the 70-200 2.8 Canon for portrait work, and tended to use the 150-200 range. I think I need to log onto my B&H account and pick one up, and give it a try. Thanks for the c1, c2 suggestion. I had forgotten all about the focus problem one encounters with changing lenses.

rent

@JST FYI, The Zeiss APO T* 2/135 works wonderfully on the X1D, incredibly sharp, with only minimal vignetting.

Alex
Alex Jiang

Instagram

JST

Quote from: rent on March 13, 2018, 07:19:13 AM
@JST FYI, The Zeiss APO T* 2/135 works wonderfully on the X1D, incredibly sharp, with only minimal vignetting.

Alex
Thanks Alex, I will. It would certainly save a bundle of money. So how do you find working with the electronic shutter? My only concern there has been with the comments around objects that may be moving, leaves in the wind, hair, and so on. Have you had to make many adjustments to how you shoot with the Zeiss?