XCD 120mm lens shipped

Previous topic - Next topic

tedtrimmer

B&H reports shipping a lens on Oct. 23.

BradP

Awesome news.  When did you place your order?

I called earlier today and they said they hadn't yet received any, and apparently have taken down their expected Oct 24 delivery date ...

Michael H. Cothran

As of Tuesday evening, Oct 24, B&H changed their ETA to "coming soon."
So what's new? This has been standard operational procedure for everything related to the X system. >:( >:( >:( >:(

In all candor, I don't know where B&H came up with the ETA of Oct 24, but Hasselblad has had "Autumn 2017" posted on their site for a while now. Which will, technically, give them a couple more months yet to be considered "on time."
"On time," at least, from their current posted ETA. ;D ;D ;D

BradP

Ted - did you receive the lens?  If so, your impressions?

tedtrimmer

I have not ordered the 120mm lens due to the size and weight, (of the lens, not me).  B&H related to me that they had shipped one lens only on 23 oct. 2017.  I also was told by Camera West they they had received only one lens so far.

flash

Australian importer has updated their date to Nov 30.

Gordon

BradP

Quote from: tedtrimmer on November 04, 2017, 08:51:46 AM
I have not ordered the 120mm lens due to the size and weight, (of the lens, not me).  B&H related to me that they had shipped one lens only on 23 oct. 2017.  I also was told by Camera West they they had received only one lens so far.

Thanks Ted. 

Snuffels

I am amazed that BH would confirm shipment of any item and in particular actually tell you how many items were shipped.  Any time I ask such a question I get the standard "not allowed to give out that information."  Anyway, what I was shocked that Hasselblad would put out an email saying that were going to expand the lens line to 9 by the end of 2018.  That's at least 4 or 5 new lenses in 14 months.  They can't get one lens out in at least 9 months (the 120) so how are they going to do it?  Any thoughts?  By the way, I've been waiting for my 120 mm since April.

hcubell

Quote from: Snuffels on November 05, 2017, 04:50:35 AM
I am amazed that BH would confirm shipment of any item and in particular actually tell you how many items were shipped.  Any time I ask such a question I get the standard "not allowed to give out that information."  Anyway, what I was shocked that Hasselblad would put out an email saying that were going to expand the lens line to 9 by the end of 2018.  That's at least 4 or 5 new lenses in 14 months.  They can't get one lens out in at least 9 months (the 120) so how are they going to do it?  Any thoughts?  By the way, I've been waiting for my 120 mm since April.

We don't know why the 120mm has been delayed. I suppose it is possible that Hasselblad was not happy with the optical performance of the prototypes and has been tinkering with the design with Nittoh, the Japanese manufacturer.

siddhaarta

Quote from: hcubell on November 05, 2017, 11:34:22 AM
We don't know why the 120mm has been delayed. I suppose it is possible that Hasselblad was not happy with the optical performance of the prototypes and has been tinkering with the design with Nittoh, the Japanese manufacturer.

I doubt that it has something to do with optical performance (MTFs are out for a while now), but maybe with electro-mechanical performance. The long focus throw could be a problem for the AF-motor(s) and the AF mechanism as such.

I used the Leica S Macro 120mm for a while, a wonderful lens, by the way, which I consider a optical benchmark. But it hunted quite a lot and using AF for macro work was not such a pleasure. I also wonder whether the focus-by-wire is appropriate for macro work, especially for stacking (at least the Leica S lenses are not focus-by-wire if used manually). The Hasselblad implementation of focus-by-wire is not bad, but still miles away from a good manual focus lens. Maybe Hasselblad should implement a focus stacking automatism, like P1 and now Nikon (D850) has.

Anyway, once a Leica R-X1D Adapter is released, I plan to use the Leica R Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm, which covers about 60mm-diagonal, so enough for the 33x44mm sensor of the X1D. Will be interesting to compare these two lenses and see whether Hasselblad beats it.

BradP

Makes sense.  Yes, an automated focus stacking mechanisms like P1 and others now have would arguably remove a big disadvantage of focus by wire.  Unsure, but I bet it could be a relatively easy firmware upgrade.  It seems an increasing number of people are becoming tuned in to the advantages stacking can bring to IQ and new/different types of shots, particularly with macro but also in landscape, architecture and throughout lens ranges. 

tedtrimmer

I would attribute any delays on lens releases to fiscal and not to optical problems.  Hasselblad has been tasked to pay as they go to avoid previously experienced financial situations. 

BradP

Ted - do you have a source on that, or are you trying like we all are to piece things together?   I googled for clues and looked at DJI's stock price and I'm unsure, but I think DJI's capital raising ability might have tailed a bit over the last year.  That could help explain things a bit if true.

Anyhoo, I believe in people.  And I believe in my X1D.  If DJI wants to raise cash and spin off its H investment into the public sphere, I would be among the first at the door to buy stock. There is an internet rumor even about Sony. At least from what I can see and feel, the X1D is a well planned, Gothenburg-inspired revival that I'm sure the namesake of the company would be proud to see today.  And I'm absolutely sure there is an excellent group of people there.  I have some faith in them, and faith I guess it is. 

frogfisher

Seems that the next batch of the xcd 120 was rolled out. Received my copy today from Foto Max Nürnberg, Germany, yeah! It feels fantastic.

hcubell

My order for the 120mm Macro  is also being shipped by B&H as we speak. FINALLY!