50-110mm or the 50mm II

Previous topic - Next topic

Krisblad

Hi
I just joined the H family, with a H5D and the 80mm lens. Based on your personal experience, what would you recommend as my 2nd lens? I can add only one for now, for a slightly wide environmental portrait or full length or group photograph. I'm torn between the 50-110mm (non-orange version) and the latest 50mm II. Whilst the zoom will give me great room and flexibility for my portrait work and is a lens of choice for many portrait artists, I have noticed that the 50mm II too has a huge fan following. Wish someone who owns both, and ideally has shot some portraits, could throw some light.
Thanks in advance
Kris

NickT

I think you'll be bette roff with the 50mmII, it will be a wee bit sharper than the zoom and not nearly as heavy.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dustbak

2nd for the 50II. It is now by far my favorite lens. Sharp, contrasty, everything you ever wished for in your other lenses. No kidding, the zoom is nice, really nice but the 50 is just better.

Alex

Quote from: Dustbak on October 26, 2017, 10:14:34 PM
2nd for the 50II. It is now by far my favorite lens. Sharp, contrasty, everything you ever wished for in your other lenses. No kidding, the zoom is nice, really nice but the 50 is just better.

+1

HC50II (& the HC120II but beware as it has quite alot variation in IQ between units) are the ones to have. On the in-between lengths; if nothing gets optically upgraded in the next couple of years get a 35-90 for the flexibility and central IQ (it's much better than the 50-110)

rem

I have the 24mm, the 35-90mm, the 100mm and the 150mm, but I miss always the 50mmII

cerett

The 50-110, if stored properly, is an excellent lens. I have never had any issues with IQ. But, it is too darn heavy for day to day practical use in the field. I have not used mine for a over a year. Things might be different if I shot in a studio.

Hassilistic

Get HCD 28mm F4, an absolute dream for the application you are attempting to achieve.  It is even more sharper than your candidates, and provides you a much needed leverage as only your second lens, the 50mm although my goto lens, your 80 & 50 are too close, the same goes for your 50-110.

If the HCD 28mm cost is a bit high, second nomination is for HC 35mm f3.5, which are a steal used.  It is equivalent to 24mm lens in a full frame 35mm format.

Good luck

DJPixelMan

Quote from: cerett on October 30, 2017, 04:12:44 PM
The 50-110, if stored properly, is an excellent lens. I have never had any issues with IQ. But, it is too darn heavy for day to day practical use in the field. I have not used mine for a over a year. Things might be different if I shot in a studio.

I love my 50 - 110. Pin sharp..a little heavy for hand-held work but not excessively so. Usually use it on a tripod though if I can. Love the lens.

cerett

Quote from: DJPixelMan on November 01, 2017, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: cerett on October 30, 2017, 04:12:44 PM

I love my 50 - 110. Pin sharp..a little heavy for hand-held work but not excessively so. Usually use it on a tripod though if I can. Love the lens.
Very much agree. Despite lack of use, that is why I've kept mine. Good reminder to use it more!

bernardl

The 50mm II may be my favorite lens on the H6D-100c.

It may be the only H lens that I find to be of the same level of quality I used to see with my Otus on the D810 (and now D850).

Cheers,
Bernard