1.7x converter

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul n

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience of the 1.7x converter? I'm thinking of getting one to use with my 80mm for my zoo work. Originally I was set on getting the 210mm but after a bit of testing with the 80mm I think the 210mm might be overkill for what I want. The converter would give me approx 136mm which I believe would do the job for the longer portraits but I'm not sure how the converter would affect the lens, is there a noticeable decrease in quality? How does it affect CA, Distortion, contrast, colour depth etc. I'm getting good results with the 80mm but I need a little extra reach on occasion. Here's a few examples of what I am getting with the 80mm. Any help is much appreciated :)

NickT

Paul I have no direct experience of the converter but have heard lot's of positives and not one complaint about image degradation.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Paul n

Phew...... I ordered one earlier, should arrive tomorrow :)

ChrisL

Late to the party but the converter works very well, as you should have found by now, loss of speed, light not focus, but that can be slowed as well as the autofocus loves light, is the only drawback. I use primarily on the 150mm for the extra reach.

Paul n

Thanks for the reply Chris, there's been no regrets so far and I haven't noticed much difference in af except in challenging contrast conditions. Here's the first file out of the 80mm + converter

fiatlux

Hi, I was wondering whether you had sample images showing the rendition of out-of-focus areas.

The converter can sometimes be found quite cheap second hand (relatively speaking) and I was considering getting one to use on my 80 2.8 while I save for a proper portrait lens.

But if there is one thing that my otherwise excellent Nikon TC ruins on my Nikkor, it is the « bokeh ».