Changing lenses while tethered freezes Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

sortvitt

Changing lenses while tethered causes massive memory (RAM) consumption in Phocus and require a restart of the software. Is this is a known problem?
I shoot with H6D-100, Surfacebook Pro and three lenses. Turning off the camera while changing lenses. Otherwise pleasently surprised over how well Phocus works in a full day shoot.

NickT

I have never seen this on mac, perhaps a windows issue?

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Alex

I've had instances where this has happened (on certain (but not all) Windows OS setups). From the early days of having issues with power over FireWire wiping out the board on my H3DII x3 times, I got into the habit of always making changes to the camera (lenses, batteries, cleaning sensor), unpowered and disconnected from the tethered computer. Since following this protocol I've had less cam/computer lockups and less dust attracted onto the sensor. Connection process has been; 1) Plug cable into Camera, 2) Attach battery & turn camera power on, 3) Connect cable into computer, 4) Turn on Phocus. Disconnection being the reverse of the process.
Has saved me about 5hours of connection stress errors per annum and decreased sending the cam to service for cleaning from every 9 months to every 1.5 years:-)

FWIW
Adding a Ferrite coil collar to the cable has been known to help - before the angled Hassie FireWire cables were available, a lot of people were using the Granite cables which implemented them.

I've had a occasional BSODs when incorrectly dis/connecting cameras to Capture 1 (both USB & Firewire), so as Nick says; it's probably more a management issue within Windows than Phocus / Flexcolor.