HC 35-90 on the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

flash

So after a failed experiment with a "new" discounted lens I took the plunge and ordered a brand new one. I don't see the 35-75 coming real soon and the extra range of the 35-90 makes it useful, to me.

I'm having some AF issues. AF is very inconsistent. Often I'm getting some back focus, especially at the long end. I wrote to HB and they say they are not aware of any issues. I have several other HC lenses and they're all perfectly fine. The optics are excellent, especially a stop down. It's a huge combination, dwarfing the Leica S and 30-90.

I bought this mainly to use in MF on a tripod but decently accurate AF would be nice if I can get it. Does anyone else have the 35-90 on their X1D? What's your experience like?

Gordon

Michael H. Cothran

I have the HCD 35-90, which was my favorite, and most used lens on my H body. However, on the X1D, coupled with the XH adapter, I find it to be too unwieldy. It needs a custom lens support, which I built from RRS parts, in order to support all that weight from the 95mm front end. I have an older, pre-orange dot lens, so I can only manual focus with it. But with the aid of Focus Peaking, manually focusing this lens is quick & simple. Sitting on a tripod with the support bracket, it's fine, and it renders as fine an image quality as any Hasselblad lens I've owned. Although switching from horizontal to vertical takes a bit of effort.

But the bulk & mass of this monster has done me in. As a result, I don't use it anymore with the X1D. I much prefer the 30, 45, and 90 XCD lenses. I plan to put the 35-90 on the auction block at Ebay sometime in the near future.