H6D-100c or X1D on photography trip to China?

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterDorr

I will be particpating in a big 14 day Silk Road photography trip in China in 2 weeks time.
I used to take my H6D with me but since it so bulky I am now considering taking the X1D instead.

The picture quality is almost similar to me and the 45 and 90 mm lens are covering most of my needs.
I will take a HC 24mm/f4.8, a 100mm/f2.2 and a 210mm/f4.0 with a converter for those special moments but for the rest I am covered I think, saving me tons of travel/weight issues.

What do you guys think?
Wise or am I missing something?

Thanks
Peter

mkerouac

I own both cameras and I agree.  The X1D will be much easier to carry than the H6.  Personally, I would leave the 210 at home too and just crop for Zoom.  As I have gotten older, my ambitions in terms of carry a big kit have faded.   :)

I hope you have a safe and rewarding trip.  Please post images when you get back. 

hugenoot

I'm at a trip to Vancouver Island at the moment with the X1D and the 45 & 90, but also 3 spare batteries. And I do use 3 batteries a day, so put some extra batteries in your bag...

satijntje

I fully agree with Hugenoot. X1D with 45 and 90 mm and 3 batteries will be ok.

Enjoy your trip

John

PeterDorr

Thanks a lot for all your input
I wil take my X1D indeed and leave the H6D at home!
Great advice here.
Thanks

Domip

And get a XH lens adapter, so you can also take your HC lenses of choice !

satijntje

Quote from: Domip on September 26, 2017, 08:08:09 PM
And get a XH lens adapter, so you can also take your HC lenses of choice !

Might be too heavy for traveling.
Use the advantage of the ultra low weight of the X1D and it XCD lenses!
John

TimH

I'm making the same calculations for a November trip to the Balkans, including some pretty remote spots.  At this point, I plan on taking both systems, though I'm dreading it--especially fighting with airlines to get this gear on regional jets.  Though tempting to go light, this is an important shoot and I've concluded that I want the best equipment I can carry for it.  Also, one reason I bought the X1D was as a backup for the H6D-100c, as I can neither afford nor want to carry a second H body and the SL was no longer adequate as a backup. Honestly, these cameras are too temperamental in my opinion to go without a backup for critical shoots. 

hcubell

I just returned from a 10 day trip to the English Lakes District and the Yorkshire Dales, where I did 4-6 mile hikes each day with the X1D and the 3 lenses in an F Stop Loka UL backpack with a Gitzo lightweight carbon tripod. The Loka UL had significant extra room that I used for additional clothing layers, food, water, etc. It could easily accommadate more lenses. It was a joy to carry the system, and even more a joy to use it. It was flawless in operation. (I also had with me a Hasselblad HC 210mm lens with an adapter, but it stayed in the car for shooting out of the trunk.) However, I agree about the need for a backup. I don't fully trust anything, after a series of failures with both Hasselblad and Phase equipment over the years. I took an H@ with a Phase IQ180 back to Iceland last year and both the body and  the back failed. Fortunately, I had a Sony A7RII as a backup. One thing to consider is renting a second X1D body.

Hassilistic

H6D-100c Hands Down! No need to second guess it.  Then I would bring the X1D, As a Backup.
I didn't buy the H-system for convenience, lightness, and agility.  I bought it because it is the best period!
On a trip of a lifetime with money and effort put in, I would never want to look back and wonder in regret if this image would have been better had I had the Magnificent 100MP mother camera of them all at this scene or place and didn't bring it along.

"Close enough" doesn't cut it.  I say Take the H6D-100 and go make history, and imagine all those who went before you and took those legendary photos, they didn't have your camera, so just imagine what you can do with that beast.!

China is a magical place which I've had the pleasure to experience during the World Expo 2010 for 6 months.  While the Canon 5D is a legend, everytime I look at my pictures, I wonder.. and I didn't even have my H-system back then.

Good luck either way,