New H lenses?

Previous topic - Next topic

bernardl

The current line up of H lenses is nice, but some of them would benefit from an optical update.

Starting with the 100mm f2.2. It has a nice look at f2.2 but is technically weak and the shape of the shutter non rounded blades ruin shots with hexagonal oof highlights when stopped down.

So it is either a soft/CA affected f2.2 portrait lens or a sharp f5.6 generic lens.

Any clue whether Hasselblad is aware/working on a next gen of H lenses?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

fsprow

No idea but my 100/2.2 is a wonderful lens, sharp from corner to corner at 2.2 / 2.8 and very little CA.

Perhaps lucky.

bdp

Quote from: fsprow on August 31, 2017, 02:50:13 AM
No idea but my 100/2.2 is a wonderful lens, sharp from corner to corner at 2.2 / 2.8 and very little CA.

Perhaps lucky.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing lately. I use the 100 and 80 mostly, and I agree the 100 could be improved - I see so much purple fringing on oof highlights, as do my fellow photographers. We were discussing this the other day and wondering if it is worse with the new CMOS backs.

So many new lenses (X1D lenses, Sony lenses) are so impressive in every respect, at all apertures, that the old H lenses do look dated.

I think the 100 needs an update just like the 50 and 120 Macro got a few years ago.

I'd also love to see a super fast 80, like a f2 or f1.9. I miss my old Contax 645 80mm f2.

Ben

Alex

Quote from: bdp on August 31, 2017, 08:01:58 AM
and wondering if it is worse with the new CMOS backs.
Maybe it's more obvious on a higher MP back but I have often seen it on a 50MP CCD sensor when using HC 80 100 150 & 210; it's a pity.
Ironically I've gained better results correcting these out using LR than Phocus, but at the expense of losing the Auto distortion corrections that Phocus applies

Quote from: bdp on August 31, 2017, 08:01:58 AM
I think the 100 needs an update just like the 50 and 120 Macro got a few years ago.

hmm, yep would make me more keen to invest in them ::)

bdp

Quote from: Alex on August 31, 2017, 02:33:33 PM

Ironically I've gained better results correcting these out using LR than Phocus, but at the expense of losing the Auto distortion corrections that Phocus applies

Yes, me too. I often just export the tiff from Phocus then import to LR and use the defringe lens correction to target that specific magenta/green. Easier than using Photoshop I find.

Ben

jhasselblad

The HC 100/2.2 is an excellent lens. I have good experiences on 50 and 60 Hasselblad CMOS and CCD H-Backs!

Alex

Nice image!

I had to take a look closer - even though very sharp and revealing, one can see the Green CA around the by his right cheek and magenta CA around by the left shoulder/cheek boundary.
This being apparent on a 50MP sensor I imagine it'd even more visible on a 100MP.

A