Electronic shutter imminent

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I've just been listening to an FAQ session on the X1D run by Hasselblad Bron. The statement was made that an electronic shutter was imminent. My understanding is that this would open the gate for adapters to mount all sorts of lenses. I know from a number of sources that quite a few Leica R and Zeiss FF DSLR lenses. Is there any more info floating around?

Here's the link: http://hasselbladbron.com/webinar/170712_x1dfaq_webinar_audio.mp3

It's around 16:50.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

asfeir

The following article and discussions on Ming Thein's page seem to confirm what you just wrote.

https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/08/02/work-in-progress/

cementjungle

Well, ask and you shall receive!

Electronic shutter, along with re-sizeable AF points (which I've been hoping for) is now available in firmware update V1.17.2

I haven't tried it yet... has anyone else tried it yet?
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

hcubell

Welcome additions, and I appreciate that Hasselblad is focused on firmware upgrades.  However, a Live View histogram and the playback of recorded images through the EVF are still glaring omissions. Not sure what the holdup is on these critical features.

rent

Here's the description of the electronic shutter in the latest user manual (v1.6). I'm curious what they mean by "full image quality is not guaranteed."

=======================================
Electronic Shutter

Select On or Off. If this option is checked, the camera will disable the lens shutter and use an electronic shutter in the sensor instead. When electronic shutter is active, this is indicated with an E symbol in front of the shutter speed in Live View and on Control Screen.

Please note the following limitations with Electronic Shutter:
• The camera will use the Rolling Shutter available on the sensor which has a read-out time of approximately 300 ms. This will cause distortion of the image if the camera or subject is moving during the exposure. A tripod and a stationary subject is recommended.

• ISO will be limited to 3200.

• Full image quality is not guaranteed.

• Shutter speed range is 68 minutes to 1/10000 sec.

• Flash is disabled.

• Continuous drive is disabled.

• True Exposure is disabled.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

asfeir

Yes just tried the update, works perfectly as described in the manual. Glad the X1D system is evolving very rappidly.

TimH

Would an X1D to M glass be possible? Another reason to hang on to my M lenses. 

satijntje

Quote from: TimH on August 24, 2017, 06:04:07 AM
Would an X1D to M glass be possible? Another reason to hang on to my M lenses.

I do not believe that M glass will work. M glass is for full format only.
Maybe Leica-S lenses will do, but you need to find one that is not broken these days :-)

John

rent

Is there an available Canon EF to X adapter? Eager to try out my TS-E lenses on the X1D.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: rent on August 24, 2017, 04:43:34 AM
Here's the description of the electronic shutter in the latest user manual (v1.6). I'm curious what they mean by "full image quality is not guaranteed."

Electronic Shutter

Select On or Off. If this option is checked, the camera will disable the lens shutter and use an electronic shutter in the sensor instead. When electronic shutter is active, this is indicated with an E symbol in front of the shutter speed in Live View and on Control Screen.

Please note the following limitations with Electronic Shutter:
• The camera will use the Rolling Shutter available on the sensor which has a read-out time of approximately 300 ms. This will cause distortion of the image if the camera or subject is moving during the exposure. A tripod and a stationary subject is recommended.

• ISO will be limited to 3200.

• Full image quality is not guaranteed.

• Shutter speed range is 68 minutes to 1/10000 sec.

• Flash is disabled.

• Continuous drive is disabled.

• True Exposure is disabled.
I wonder what it's for. It's obviously not for landscapes, and particularly not seascapes, and full image quality not guaranteed is a worry.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

NickT

Quote from: rent on August 24, 2017, 04:43:34 AM

I think this references rolling shutter issues and also the potential for flicker with non -continuos light sources (fluorescents).
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

hcubell

I wonder what it's for. It's obviously not for landscapes, and particularly not seascapes, and full image quality not guaranteed is a worry.
[/quote]

Hi, Jeff. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't be sure, but I have read a number of very positive reports from owners of the Phase XF/IQ100 who have used the electronic shutter for landscape imagery and say it works great. And I think the scan time of the ES with the Phase system is much slower than with the X1D.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I'd love to hear how well it works for you, Howard. At first blush, it looks like a zero for me.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Ario

Quote from: galoubet on August 24, 2017, 08:42:47 PM
Quote from: rent on August 24, 2017, 06:40:31 AM
Is there an available Canon EF to X adapter? Eager to try out my TS-E lenses on the X1D.

I should like a Nikon adapter. Then I could (possibly) use my Fieldscope to take my bird and eclipse pics with my X1D.

I installed the new firmware this morning. Went ok. I like the new focus points. Can't see much point (for me) with the electronic shutter until there are some lens adapters available.
I guess Ming Thein has already used a Nikon adapter. https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/08/24/e-shutter-firmware-for-the-hasselblad-x1d/#more-15856

cementjungle

Quote from: galoubet on August 24, 2017, 11:25:25 PM
One thing was very apparent though, the electronic shutter was very quiet.

Interesting.

That seems like a great feature to have, at least for me.
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com