HC100 vs. XCD90

Previous topic - Next topic

TimH

I have an H6D-100c and a new X1D.  I was hoping to use my HC100 with the adapter on the X1D camera, but just found out that it too old to take advantage of the auto-focus functions of the smaller camera.  To use this focal length with all it's features on the X1D, I need to either buy the XCD 90 or upgrade the HC 100.  One reason, but not the only reason, I'm leaning in the direction of upgrading the H lens is that I travel extensively with my kit, and saving space an weight is pretty important these days, especially on international flights.  Any thoughts or advice on this decision, HC100 vs XCD90 on an X1D?  Thank you.

Tim Hyde
Washington, DC

hcubell

I tried tried the HC 100 with the X1D and, unfortunately, it really doesn't compare well with the XCD 90mm lens. I always thought that the HC was a reasonably sharp lens, but the XCD 890mm lens is just so exceptional. Of curse, I am comparing the lenses for photographing landscapes, where edge to edge sharpness is critical. For portraits, I think the HC 100 is a faster lens and is more than adequate.