CMOS Bloom

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

I have read a recent article that stated the new CMOS sensors suffer from increased bloom when compared to the older CCD sensor. By bloom I mean shooting - for example - an interior with a large window that creates a bloom effect around the window mullions. Has anyone experienced this issue or have comparative tests to support the experience?

bernardl

I haven't seen such issues at all. The 3rd image is shot on an Arca R3mdi with a Rodenstock 90mm f5.6 HR, and the way the lights is rendered is absolutely remarkable in my view.

Cheers,
Bernard

brian

Yes your third image is quite stunning - really smooth dynamic range as well - thanks

Hassilistic

Hi Brain, a quick correction if I may:
- CMOS sensors are inherently by design more immune to blooming which is why they are referred to as Anti-Blooming sensors
- That said, CCD's were specifically engineered to overcome this so well that they've over preformed CMOS at many times.

Analysis of your issue tells me What I've perceived from your images is not Blooming but what is referred to as Airy Disc effect.  And that comes about as a result of increasing sensor resolution at the expense of sensor pixel size.  All the while expecting the lens resolving power to meet these increasing demands in performance resting in overspill of gathered light across rows, since the airy disc effect. Which was never an issue with Film.

Fixed easily by Controlling your DOF, Hence why certain f stops give better results at particular situations, and yours is one of those. IMO looking at your images I thought that is exactly what you were going for if you hadn't mentioned it, as these issues as very common and have become part of photography styles.  Also DEHAZE in LR-CC will take care of such anomalies if not desired.

Hope that helped,
Cheers

Marc Gysin

I upgraded from a 50 MP CCD to a 50 MP CMOS and I have definitely more issues. But it is because of the lens I use for example the first version of the 120mm. I have to do a test with the new one if it's better calculated. When I use the back on my Cambo with the Schneider lens I have no issues.

Hassilistic

Quote from: Marc Gysin on August 23, 2017, 05:21:59 AM
my Cambo with the Schneider lens I have no issues.
I'd love to hear more about your setup Marc, I've been putting this off for too long when it was the whole purpose to begin with.. it is amazing how easily you can sway from your original path.  I am looking at the new Alpa system (put off by price in Euro's even after VAT deduction), and Sinar is looking really good to me specially the pre-setup for arTech + LanTech but I prefer the former having tried it a while back but Cambo I got bumped when I missed the Anniversary addition.  What are your thoughts.

Marc Gysin

The Cambo I use is the ULTIMA 23 https://www.cambo.com/en/view-cam/ultima-digital-applications/ultima-23-series/ with the Schneider APO-DIGITAR 5.6/120 ASPH SES
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1326&IID=10204 and the electronic shutter, which is not longer made/supported by Schneider so I would go there for Rodenstock which is also supported by Hasselblad I think.

Hassilistic

Quote from: Marc Gysin on August 29, 2017, 11:55:36 PM
the electronic shutter, which is not longer made/supported by Schneider
Greatest thing about these legacy systems is that there is nothing you can't find.
Cambo asking users to upgrade to ACTUS XL system.. Any Thoughts!!  Have you considered that for yourself.?

Marc Gysin

Quote from: Hassilistic on August 30, 2017, 08:01:51 PM
Quote from: Marc Gysin on August 29, 2017, 11:55:36 PM
the electronic shutter, which is not longer made/supported by Schneider
Greatest thing about these legacy systems is that there is nothing you can't find.
Cambo asking users to upgrade to ACTUS XL system.. Any Thoughts!!  Have you considered that for yourself.?

Well I have to see what are the benefits for me to do so. I did not have time to check. As for the Schneider Electronic Shutter I finally found a triggering system which works also for multi shoot but it was a hassle.

Alex

Quote from: Marc Gysin on August 31, 2017, 05:00:38 AM
which works also for multi shoot but it was a hassle.

Was this using Multishot on the Ultima23? If so, how did it fare - were the standards rigid enough etc - would you recommend it?

Alex

Hassilistic

My main reason for excitement when H6D specs came out was the Electronic Shutter compatibility with View Cameras for I no longer will require third party (Schnieder /Rollei/etc) to carry around.  However, it stated that this use was enabled Via Phocus, which meant taking my laptop along too and that defeats the purpose.  That said, validating results immediately in the field would be highly gratifying too I would imagine.

Has anyone tried this approach.?

niallc

Hi, I'm coming late to this discussion, but have been shooting architectural/interiors with an H3d11 MS back with Schneider ES for several years, and have been very happy with the quality. However it would be great to have the live view capabilities of the H6 50c sensor, but I understand that this back has micro lenses, which are not so good for large format movements and LCC correction. Does anyone have any experience of the H6 backs for architectural work, and how would the quality compare to the older MS back?