Phocus performance issues - Mac version

Previous topic - Next topic

bdp

I would love to know if it's just my setup or if everyone is plagued by laggy performance with Phocus lately. clicking between thumbnails, moving sliders etc all results in a delay and generally laggy performance. I'm sure this has been getting worse lately and I'm trying to troubleshoot without resorting to buying a new Mac.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is Phocus due for a performance-oriented re-write?

My setup is not new but is performance oriented - 2009 Mac Pro with 2 x quad core processors, 24GB RAM, fast SSD HDD (500MB/s read/write), AMD Radeon graphics card 3GB. So there shouldn't be any bottleneck there I would think.

Any tips to get Phocus being more responsive? I'm on 3.1.3 because 3.2 and later versions limit the WB to 9600K.

Ben

Dustbak

What monitor are you using? By any chance a 10 bit screen?

bdp

I have 3 monitors attached - 2 x Eizos and a cheap BenQ near the set for the stylist. Not sure if they are 10 bit but I can check - why do you ask?

Ben

NickT

Ben how often do you restart? My machines tend to run 24/7 (sleeping when not in use) but it does pay to restart every once in a while.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

bdp

Hi Nick, nearly never - I'm like and keep it on always. But I restarted yesterday because I had the same thought, but to no avail. Of course it's worse if I have lots of adjustment layers on pics, I think I just need more grunt.

Ben

NickT

I'm on an iMac i7 32Gig and Nvidia 4 Gig and don't see any issues. I am not however using adjustment layers in Phocus so maybe that's the difference?

Dustbak

The previous Phocus had performance issues with 10 bit screens (in combination with MacOS Sierra mostly). I use an Eizo Coloredge, a 10bit screen. With Phocus 3.1 I have enormous performance issues, this was an eventually known issue that has been resolved in the 10.12.4 update of Sierra.

Issues where with drawing the screen. Scrolling was something that went truly slow, I had beachballs with every move.

I was just going back over the conversations I had on this topic earlier this year. It was a MacOS issue to begin with solved with 10.12.4. Apparently HB was able to fix it a bit in 3.2 but the largest culprit ended up being MacOS and the way it draws the screen with 10bit screens.

You might want to check disconnecting the Eizo's and see if you have issues on the BenQ (I guess that is not a 10bit screen).

bdp

Hi Dustbak,

OK, thanks for that insight. I'm stuck on 3.1 until Hasselblad fix the WB upper limit in 3.2, if they even know about it. I'm also still on OSX 10.11.x. It's very frustrating having beachballs all the time and long delays switching between thumbnails. Seems to be a recent issue though, so I'll try to figure out what has changed in the last few weeks.

Nick - thanks, I'm tempted to upgrade my Mac but I was hoping to hold out for the iMac Pro, so I'll maybe try updating to Sierra first and that may change some issues. Hopefully it won't be too tedious and introduce problems like a lot of major OS updates...

Ben

NickT

Ben I finally upgraded my workstation to Sierra and it has been really solid, Phocus is certainly better behaved! BTW the next version of Phocus shows a big improvement in screen drawing and file processing, twice as fast on my machine.

NickT

Quote from: bdp on August 16, 2017, 09:46:46 PM
Hi Dustbak,

OK, thanks for that insight. I'm stuck on 3.1 until Hasselblad fix the WB upper limit in 3.2, if they even know about it.

I've just reminded them about the WB limit.

bdp

Simon Bran

Hi Ben,
if you have a 2009 mac pro it might not update to Sierra, mine is a 'early 2009' mac pro and was excluded from the update ( mid 2010 or newer according to the support page) so i'm stuck on 10.11.6  El Capitan.
but i'm using Phocus 3.22 , a Eizo monitor  and every thing is ok, (apart from the WB control)
Sooo ...... If hb sort the WB out in the next upgrade, you might be ok : -)
Simon.

bdp

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised to hear my Mac may be too 'vintage' to upgrade - it still competes speed-wise with my brand new Macbook Pro so it doesn't 'feel' old. Another Apple ploy to force me to buy more hardware!!

Ben

NickT

Quote from: bdp on August 16, 2017, 09:46:46 PM
I'm stuck on 3.1 until Hasselblad fix the WB upper limit in 3.2, if they even know about it

This will be fixed next release.

bdp

Thanks Nick!

Any other hints about upcoming changes or improvements you have heard about?

Ben