Phocus performance issues - Mac version

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

Ben I would tell you but I'd have to kill you (NDA)
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

bdp

Well at least we know something is coming  ;D

bdp

Well I got a new iMac and it has largely solved my issues.

Nick, can I ask you  - is it a known bug in the current version of Phocus that the ability to focus the camera while tethered is very flaky? It works for a few captures but then greys out. So annoying when critical focus is needed and the camera is up at ceiling height on a camera stand....

Ben

Edit:  I've worked out the '+' and '-' buttons only grey out when the mirror is up. So to change focus I can just flip the mirror back down and focus, then flip it up again. Never seen that one before....

NickT

I don't tend to remote focus Ben so I'll have a look and report back.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

bdp

Thanks Nick. I seem to have found a workaround. See my edited post above yours.

Alex

Quote from: bdp on September 06, 2017, 01:20:13 PM
.. the ability to focus the camera while tethered is very flakey; It works for a few captures but then greys out.

This is intermittently occurring on the Windows version as well since 3.x.x - sometimes continuing to "press" the area of the greyed out button results in a shift in focus, sometimes nothing. At other times the buttons respond but nothing changes, then everything jerks forwards/backwards lots of steps.
Also sometimes when exiting the Live Video all the camera controls reset themselves with some settings becoming non accessible for a while.
Yes, agreed; when positioned in inaccessible places like up near the ceiling, it makes for a rather stressful and nerve racking day going up and down ladders.. not exactly confidence inspiring.

I'm currently considering using vers 2.8.x for less troublesome tethered shooting and then 3.x.x for processing for the near future.

Alex

fiatlux

Quote from: Simon Bran on August 18, 2017, 03:17:00 AMif you have a 2009 mac pro it might not update to Sierra, mine is a 'early 2009' mac pro and was excluded from the update ( mid 2010 or newer according to the support page) so i'm stuck on 10.11.6  El Capitan

There's an easy fix to that. MP 2009 and 2010 are identical hardware-wise, the only difference being the firmware (and the CPU and graphic cards options offered when new).

You can flash the MP 2010 on a 2009 machine, it is an easy one-time command in the command line (once fw is downloaded). I did it years ago on mine, happily run Sierra and am looking forward to High Sierra.

I think the details and necessary file are on netkas' forum.

bdp

Interesting. Although academic for me now as I bought a new iMac. It is a bit better but I still think Phocus is sluggish compared to how responsive other imaging software is (such as Capture One).

Regarding High Sierra - I won't be touching that one! That new APFS file system is sure to cause all manner of pain and misery for a good 6 months or more after release.

bdp

Well Phocus 3.3 just came out and it is much faster!

Amazing, just what I was after - little did I know Hasselblad were already working on it. Well done Hasselblad.

Ben

hugenoot

I use Phocus on a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina with 16Gb memory and High Sierra. The performance is terrible, and there are all sort of issues with freezing display and crashes 8 times today...

bdp

High Sierra has only been out for a few days - I wouldn't recommend installing it for 6 months or more. That could be your problem.

hugenoot

Quote from: bdp on September 28, 2017, 09:02:19 AM
High Sierra has only been out for a few days - I wouldn't recommend installing it for 6 months or more. That could be your problem.

I have beta-test High Sierra from the beginning with the previous version of Phocus. And also with Aperture and Lightroom. And never had the errors I have now...

Eric Borgström

Phocus 3.3 installed on my iiMac from late 2011 rundning High Sierra without a problem. It did crash several times as it has never done before upgrading, perhaps due to low memory, just having 16 GB. Chrash retorts sent to Apple that suposedly shares it with Hasselblad. Just unsaved work lost.
/Eric