Lee ND gradient filter...

Previous topic - Next topic

hugenoot

Yesterday I did some sunset shoots with a Lee 0.9 ND gradient filter, but it's hard to see any difference when using this filter. Is this because of the digital viewfinder? Or do I need to change the setting of the camera? Anyone using any gradient filters with the X1D?

hcubell

Quote from: hugenoot on August 13, 2017, 08:24:27 AM
Yesterday I did some sunset shoots with a Lee 0.9 ND gradient filter, but it's hard to see any difference when using this filter. Is this because of the digital viewfinder? Or do I need to change the setting of the camera? Anyone using any gradient filters with the X1D?

You have to change the menu setting for the display to "show exposure simulation".

hugenoot

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow. Buts it's hard to see the difference...

docmoore

The camera will compensate for the ND ... you need to be in manual exposure and dial in what you want to achieve.

Bob

SrMi

Quote from: hugenoot on August 13, 2017, 08:39:54 AM
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow. Buts it's hard to see the difference...

Do you mean that it's hard to set the ND grad filter properly? Is it a soft or a hard transition filter? Generally, it is hard to set a soft transition ND grad filter properly, a hard or medium transition ND grad is easier to use. That said, I stopped using ND-grad and do everything in post. Still learning about luminosity masks.

hugenoot

I use a hard 0.9 ND filter, and when I put the filter in front there is a short moment you see the gradient line.

Michael H. Cothran

SrMi - Tony Kuyper is THE man to know for luminosity masks. He was the first to bring them to the global attention of PS users in the early part of this century. He has lots of information, descriptions, and instructions on his website that easily explain their functioning. He has also offered his own pre-made PS actions (TK Actions) for all the masks since the beginning. I have owned and used his mask actions for almost 15 years now. I'd be lost without them.

You can also find quite a lot of tutorials by Sean Bagshaw on You Tube. Utilizing Tony Kuyper's actions, Sean goes into great depth explaining and demonstrating the use of luminosity masks.

My suggestion would be to FIRST go to Tony's website (www.goodlight.us), and read all his tutorials, etc. Then when you have a basic understanding of lum masks, go to You Tube and watch Sean's videos. You will learn from Tony & Sean how to create your own lum masks, plus the why, when, how, and where to use them. Buying Tony's action panel is optional. It makes life in PS easier, but is certainly not necessary.

PS - Please take the time to visit Tony's gallery in his website. His imagery is amazing, and all enhancements were made by lum masks.

SrMi

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on August 14, 2017, 02:00:17 AM
SrMi - Tony Kuyper is THE man to know for luminosity masks. He was the first to bring them to the global attention of PS users in the early part of this century. He has lots of information, descriptions, and instructions on his website that easily explain their functioning. He has also offered his own pre-made PS actions (TK Actions) for all the masks since the beginning. I have owned and used his mask actions for almost 15 years now. I'd be lost without them.

You can also find quite a lot of tutorials by Sean Bagshaw on You Tube. Utilizing Tony Kuyper's actions, Sean goes into great depth explaining and demonstrating the use of luminosity masks.

My suggestion would be to FIRST go to Tony's website (www.goodlight.us), and read all his tutorials, etc. Then when you have a basic understanding of lum masks, go to You Tube and watch Sean's videos. You will learn from Tony & Sean how to create your own lum masks, plus the why, when, how, and where to use them. Buying Tony's action panel is optional. It makes life in PS easier, but is certainly not necessary.

PS - Please take the time to visit Tony's gallery in his website. His imagery is amazing, and all enhancements were made by lum masks.

Michael, thanks for the recommendation. In fact, I have already bought Tony's "TK Actions V5" and Sean's tutorials. Note that Sean is working on additional video courses to support the V5 panel as some of his courses are for V4 panel.

hugenoot

Quote from: SrMi on August 14, 2017, 03:32:20 AM
Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on August 14, 2017, 02:00:17 AM

Michael, thanks for the recommendation. In fact, I have already bought Tony's "TK Actions V5" and Sean's tutorials. Note that Sean is working on additional video courses to support the V5 panel as some of his courses are for V4 panel.

Thanks for the info, I have downloaded the TK Actions...