Strange behavior of 45 & 30 XCD lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Akin

I received my x1d & 45mm lens about three months ago, after having the kit for about a week I noticed the lens would occasionally crank itself all the way in (I think possibly beyond infinity?) or out at random times, though most often immediately after a shot is taken.
The rate that the lens moves is very slow & constant, not at all like the quick motion of the autofocus. I picked up the 30 a couple of weeks ago & it has the same issue, the 90 so far has not.

Has any one else seen anything like this?

Tom Akin

Yes, during normal operation both the 30 & 45's outer element moves out or in slightly when the camera is powered on/off, & during normal focusing there is also movement depending on the range of the focus point. The issue I am noticing is a full & very slow (the movement during powering on/off is fast) extension or retraction of the lens with no input from me. The 90's focusing is internal so this motion is not present, so it's possible it's doing it as well & I missed it, suggesting the problem could be with my camera & not a lens issue at all..

tbullock

I had the same issue with the 45 (at least) and sent it to Hasselblad. So far they haven't been able to duplicate it, but it helps to hear that I'm not making it up. For me, it has happened before I take a shot and once when taking video. It's rare but disconcerting...

Tom Akin

Quote from: tbullock on August 01, 2017, 02:59:11 AM
I had the same issue with the 45 (at least) and sent it to Hasselblad. So far they haven't been able to duplicate it, but it helps to hear that I'm not making it up. For me, it has happened before I take a shot and once when taking video. It's rare but disconcerting...

Yes, disconcerting is a good description. The problem is rare, but not very. I have the issue usually at least once any time I'm using the camera + 45 for more than an hour or two, though I have seen it a few times with the 30.

Have you noticed it with any other lenses?

docmoore

I have noticed that after I have focused on a subject and then look at the capture ... occasionally when I go to focus ... all of this manual with magnification
the lens is way off from where it had been. Nothing consistent and more of an irritation than a defect for me.

Probably about 5% of the time ... and usually I am focusing not at the same distance as the previous shot so it would not be noticed.

tbullock

Quote from: Tom Akin on August 01, 2017, 05:40:23 AM
Have you noticed it with any other lenses?

I can't say for sure. It happened a handful of times in several hundred frames, but I didn't keep track of which lenses. I took a video with the 45 and it happened while recording the video--it goes out of focus slowly and silently--so I sent them the 45.

NickT

Actually I have seen this (very rarely) with H lenses. It feels to me like the lens is trying to perform a sort of internal reset... The only thing I can suggest is to check contacts and that the lens is fully locked on (I have heard quite a few X users commenting on how stiff the lenses are to attach).
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Tom Akin

From the number of views vs replies I'm guessing this is a pretty rare quirk. Looks like I may need to send the lens in & see if Hasselblad can fix the issue. Thanks for all the feedback!

tbullock

Have either of you noticed any pattern for this to happen? Perhaps a certain kind of subject or background? Are you using AF, and if so how are you using it? (half-press of shutter or rear button in MF mode)

The video I have of it happening has a lot of moving point light sources in the background, and I was in normal AF mode. In other cases I used a half press of the shutter button to focus, and before taking the photo, the lens would slowly shift completely out of focus. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to forward to Hasselblad. Thanks!

Tom Akin

The only thing that looks a little like a pattern to me is that it happens most often directly after I press the shutter, though I have had it happen before a shot as I am focusing, just as the camera is powered on, or sometimes several minutes after a shot. 
I generally use the camera in MF mode with auto zoom and some help from the AFD button, but I've had it happen with AF engaged also. I can't see any pattern to do with lighting conditions or focus distance, subject or background either.
All in all for my camera lens combination it appears to be fairly random.

Please let me know how Hasselblad deals with your situation, I suspect my camera/lens will be going back to them soon..
Thanks!

tbullock

Hasselblad couldn't reproduce the behavior and are sending my camera back, which is fine by me, as I'm not sure I could reproduce it either. They were generally very communicative and helpful, and I'm pleased with the service I received.

If anyone manages to reproduce this reliably or gets further with diagnosing the issue I'd be curious to know about it.

RTFM

My 30mm does exactly the same. Focusing with this lens seems to be arbitrary at the best of times and finding a true infinity is taxing too but when it pops out of focus for no reason, then I am struggling. I shoot a lot of panoramas and one frame is almost always out of focus so I now have to refocus after every shot - not ideal. I'd be fascinated to know if you have discovered a cure or, at best, a work-around?

hugenoot

Same problem with my 45mm, but only when the battery is about to show the almost empty status (red icon)...

TimH

"I have heard quite a few X users commenting on how stiff the lenses are to attach."
Yes, the fit is pretty tight, but I assume this is a result of good weatherproofing.  No complaints about that from me.

satijntje