How to change cards in playback mode

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff S

I used up card 1 and now overflow goes to card 2. I can see captures on card 2 but have no way of getting back to see captures on the full card 1 unless I go into to phocus mobile to change cards for viewing captures.

Is there any way to toggle from  card 2 to card 1 to see pictures in playback?

docmoore

I am a bit confused ... do you not have a computer to download/offload captures so that you fill you cards and need to view them there?

Daily I drop all of my captures into a folder ... back it up to another folder and then reformat the card.

When traveling I drop the days capture into LR on an iPad ... keep the files but have another card to rotate in the mix before I would lose anything.

Relying on SD cards to preserve your captures is asking for trouble ... especially with the state of the X1D firmware at this point.

Just saying ...

Bob

Cliff S

In this specific case I was in the field for a long day shooting. I took a picture and got an error saying no card or something. I can't remember exactly because I panicked.

I wanted to see my previous shots but I realized the camera jumped to the next card. I thought I lost a few hundred shots I just took. I had no way to go back to card 1 without which I tried after endless ways of selecting card 1 to see the images stored there.

I only had about 200 shots on a 64 mb card which should've given me about 500-600. I really wanted to see what happened and had to work around it by actually going into phocus mobile and seeing them on my phone. Fortunately they were there but I wish I had received a message saying that I was going to start capturing on card 2 and had no way to review shots on card 1 directly on my camera.

I am very well versed on the need to save your pictures when you get back to the hotel. Not so easy when you're on a boat in the grottoes of the algarve.

Buddy

take out card nr. 2 and restart the camera then for sure images from card 1 are displayed

docmoore

Makes sense however were I in that situation the card in question would have been ejected from the camera and not touched until I had a chance to offload and back it up.

Not sure why the camera did that ... happened to me when my battery was fairly low ... restoring the battery and turning on the camera it was back to normal.

My concern would be if the camera was not liking the card would the next step being that it corrupts the card and the files thereon.

cementjungle

Quote from: docmoore on August 02, 2017, 12:35:05 AM
Makes sense however were I in that situation the card in question would have been ejected from the camera and not touched until I had a chance to offload and back it up.

Not sure why the camera did that ... happened to me when my battery was fairly low ... restoring the battery and turning on the camera it was back to normal.

My concern would be if the camera was not liking the card would the next step being that it corrupts the card and the files thereon.

The ability to write to both cards simultaneously is definitely a high priority for me, especially when traveling (like on an African safari or something). Not only do I fear the (admittedly rare) failure of a card, but I like to have two copies of everything packed in different places (one in my camera bag, another somewhere else) in case of theft of gear or some other such calamity before I'm able to safely copy the files somewhere else.

Until that capability is added, I'll just try to remember to manually switch out cards frequently while shooting important things so at not have the entire session's images all sitting on one card.
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

docmoore

The new Camera connection kit allows you to connect a USB 3 reader to an iPad Pro and power it with the lightening connector power adapter.

I offload all my captures while traveling to the iPad as a backup ... you can view and work in LR mobile. With a decent Wifi connection you could upload to
Cloud storage.

But writing to both cards adds a layer of protection unless the camera scrambles both of them. Unlikely but switching cards frequently is a great idea.

Bob

Cliff S

I think we're missing what my issue is. Nothing to do with backups.

I have my storage set to overflow so when Card 1 is full, it starts writing to Card 2.

Now I'm capturing on card 2 but want to see captures on Card 1 and I can't toggle from 2 to 1 in playback mode. On the main screen Card 2 is highlighted and I can't press Card 1 to see what I captured on it.

Is there a way without swapping cards in camera between 1 and 2?

docmoore

Cliff

I just took 4 shots ... 2 on card one ... changed to SD2 as the primary destination and took two more.

Hitting play showed me the two captures on card 2.

Returned to main menu ... storage ... changed primary destination to SD1 ... now hitting play show the two pictures on card one.

If the camera cannot recognize card one ... which seemed to be your problem ... this might not work ... hence all the talk about backups and alternative ways of
recovery from the card.

Bob

Cliff S

Thanks Bob. Good info on seeing captures from both cards that way. It does work as long as one of the cards isn't full. Unfortunately if Card 1 is full, changing the primary card from 2 back to 1 doesn't allow you to see the captures taken on the presently full card.

The only way that works as far as I can tell is to remove card 2 so that only the full Card 1 is present and then you can see the images. Too bad I can't select which card I want to preview, the full card 1 or the current Card 2.

docmoore

Cliff,

Try turning off overflow and see if it will allow you to see it.

Bob

Cliff S

Very clever Bob. Very clever. It worked. Of course you need to put it back to overflow to take pictures on card 2 but this is an excellent work-around until they let you select which card to review directly on the screen.

Thanks!!

docmoore

Cliff,

You may be able to just select the SD2 card as the primary without going back to overflow. That way one less step is involved in looking at the pictures.

Very glad that this will work ... still it is a bit of a kludge from firmware standpoint and maybe addressed in a future update.

Regards,

Bob

Cliff S

Quote from: Buddy on August 01, 2017, 10:47:14 PM
take out card nr. 2 and restart the camera then for sure images from card 1 are displayed

Yup. This works. Thanks! A bit of a nuisance but another work-around until you can simply press the 1 or 2 button on the bottom right of the main screen.

Bro

Hi all,

To select which card to review, simply navigate up in folder structure until you reach the "Select Card to Browse" dialog. The folder structure is the following:

Memory Cards -> Folders -> Folders -> 9 images -> 1 image

It is possible to navigate to the card selection dialog either using touch or buttons and scroll-wheels.

By touch:

1. When viewing one image - Pinch inwards to go to the 9 images view
2. In the 9 images view - Press the "Folder Up" button in the top left corner to go to folders
3. In the folders view - Press the "Folder Up" button in the top left corner to go to folder level above
4. In the folders view - Press the "Folder Up" button in the top left corner again
5. Select Card to Browse
6. Select folder by clicking the folder names repeatedly

Or using buttons:

1. When viewing one image - Press the AE-L button to go to the 9 images view
2. Continue to press the AE-L button repeatedly to go up in folder structure
3. Select Card to Browse using any of the scroll-wheels
4. Use the AF-D button to select card
5. Repeatedly use scroll-wheels and AF-D button to select folder to review

Best,
Bro