H4D 50 and HM 16 32

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicente Dolz

Hello everyone

I have a question.

Does film back 16 32 not work on H4D because of software?

If so, is there any software update that will work?

Is there any way to make it work right now?

Regards, and thank you very much

(Sorry for my English that is from Google Translator)

ChrisL

Only the H4X in the 4 series accepts a film back.

The H5D series had a firmware update in  November 2014 that allowed a film back
Firmware version 3.3.2/1.1.4
H5D - ALL CCD MODELS
H5D-50c
Changes since version 3.1.3/1.1.4
• Film magazine compatibility

The H4D series current firmware version is 2.3.3 issued April 2015 with no film back compatibility.

The least expensive way to shoot film with the lenses you have is to buy a H1 or H2 body which are inexpensive and will accept film backs, functionality is very close to the later series, True Focus being the main exception.
In the UK a H1 body is around £400 to £450 finders and battery grips are all interchangeable. Note if you use HCD lenses for example  24, 28 and 35-90 they are not designed to cover the full 6 x 4.5 frame size. The H1/2 body needs firmware version 9.5.2 which added the compatibility with HCD lenses and HVD viewfinders. HCD lenses though really depend on DAC in Phocus that may limit the usability on film where distortions become visible. Others may comment on that.

Hope Google works on this  :)

Miller

If you go the H1/H2 route, beware to check the firmware version before you decide to buy. To update firmware, you need an old type digital back.
When the HCD support became available, I had to send my H1 to Sweden. It was worth it, though.

ChrisL

Quote from: Miller on July 21, 2017, 04:08:00 PM
If you go the H1/H2 route, beware to check the firmware version before you decide to buy. To update firmware, you need an old type digital back.
When the HCD support became available, I had to send my H1 to Sweden. It was worth it, though.
Could you add your experience of the HCD lenses on film with regards to the frame coverage and any cropping required please?

Miller

I only  have the HCD 28, which does not cover the entire frame. I was about to buy a 35 mm, when HCD support became available in firmware. I think the cropped frame from the 28 mm gives about the same angle of view as a full frame with the 35 mm. And there is no DAC to correct for distortion, but for landscapes that is not a big problem. When the 28 mm is used with the HTS, there is no cropping (I think there is about 15 mm of shift possible).
For now, I am perfectly satisfied with this option.

ChrisL

Quote from: Miller on July 23, 2017, 09:36:36 PM
I only  have the HCD 28, which does not cover the entire frame.

Thank you, appreciated, the wides were of interest although the 35mm hasn't the highest reputation.

jerome_m

Someone published uncropped pictures taken with the HCD28 on the H6D-100 and the extreme corners were a bit less sharp but there was no hard vignette (unless a filter was used). As the sensor of the H6D-100 is about the same size as the exposed frame on film, I expect the HCD28 to be perfectly usable on film if distortion is not a problem.

As to the 35mm, it is better than its reputation. Sure, it lacks punch wide open, but it has nice bokeh and rendering and if one wants sharp pictures all over, f/8 will do it.

ChrisL

Quote from: jerome_m on July 24, 2017, 06:13:31 PM
As to the 35mm, it is better than its reputation. Sure, it lacks punch wide open, but it has nice bokeh and rendering and if one wants sharp pictures all over, f/8 will do it.

Thank you, f8 is the ultimate lens leveller.

Miller

Two scans from a contact sheet. The HCD 28:

And the HTS and HCD 28 mm:

ChrisL

More thanks !!
I see even the HTS used with intelligence on the 28mm can be more than useful, must be tricky to set up without a preview or did you do a frame or two on a digital back first?

jerome_m

Quote from: Miller on July 24, 2017, 09:45:57 PM
Two scans from a contact sheet. The HCD 28

Did you have a filter on the HCD 28?

Miller

The first pic is without a filter,
the second one is with a Lee filter.

eyedear

Amazing stuff here. is there a hack to allow the use of the film back on the h4d-50. The reason for not buying another h1/h2 is that i really like the true focus thats only available on the H4D-50. Another reason is the h4D is the last Hasselbald that has the same body color as the HM16-32 film back. I think that Hasselblad should at least provide firmware update that would allow the H4D to use film back.

Domip

@ Vicente Dolz: I still have an old H2 body for sell...
If you are interested for some pictures, mail my at
dominique dot provost at telenet dot be