Review X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

chambeshi

Recent review of the 'blad X1D. No mention of the ability to use H lenses with the adapter

https://photographylife.com/reviews/hasselblad-x1d-50c

Imagecrazy

Yet another negative review, ending with recommending Fugi GFX or the Pentax 645 over the X1d.  I laugh at these.  Held a GFX the other day, just out of curiosity.  Never would I want that camera!  It's bulky, heavy, feels awful in the grip, lots and lots of buttons.  I will stick with my X1d as totally happy with it as a landscape photographer.  These reviews are done from a 35mm performance and feature perspective. 

cementjungle

Its interesting to note that he gives 5 stars (out of 5) for Image Quality, Dynamic Range and Build Quality (and 4 for high ISO performance).

The items that drag down his overall rating are things like stability, features, etc.

I read every review I could find before making my purchase, and I was quite aware that the firmware was still in its infancy. I suspect that with time many of the stability issues will be sorted out and more features will be added. My main reason for this purchase was "Image Quality". I'm willing to be patient on the other issues... and so far I'm quite pleased with the image quality (and dynamic range).

I have 2 very good Canon cameras (1dsM3 and the 1dx) which are great for fast shooting and other things, and perform well.... but the image quality with the X1D seems to be a whole new level. I'm especially finding this true when converting images to B&W.... I've never been thrilled when doing that with the Canon cameras, but have really been thrilled with how my images work in B&W from the X1D. That was an unexpected bonus for me and I'm quite happy about that!
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

ganesh

I read every review I could find before making my purchase, and I was quite aware that the firmware was still in its infancy. I suspect that with time many of the stability issues will be sorted out and more features will be added. My main reason for this purchase was "Image Quality". I'm willing to be patient on the other issues... and so far I'm quite pleased with the image quality (and dynamic range).

Same here.
And with Ming Thein as Hasselblad Chief of strategy, I am confident we will not be let down.
The evolution of firmware and X1D should be bright, without sacrificing the original puristic design concept.

chambeshi

The review smacks of a user judging the X1D against a 35mm perspective; and he does seem well experienced. This is where I must confess I've invested 35 years experience. But I've also read every review and some, and was fortunate to visit ProPhoto in London for a morning's gloat at new & used 'blad. There, the salesman most kindly unpacked a X1D that was awaiting its owner; so I was allowed to examine it (there big big demand for their loan camera, which was out of the shop on that day).

At least one wise commentator, writing below the PhotographyLife review, points out the differences and virtues of MF, including the time-honoured benefits of square format....

Unlike Mr Mansurov, one has to concur that there's BIG positives on the near horizon for the X1D and Hasselblad as a whole. I agree - the recent appointment of Ming Thien on the rudder of Hasselblad Strategy is more than reassuring. And the firmware can only be refined to improve the X1D, let alone future models that will shape a X1D stable. Personally, i am working on resolving that most boring matter of fiscal barriers to start getting to grips with digital MF; and here it's very clear Hasselblad is worth the wait and the investment.

This recent mid-term review of H lenses sure does whet the hunger!
https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/04/29/mid-term-assessment-of-hasselblad-h-lenses/

BradP

The top posted link is a very worthwhile read IMHO for those who wish to invest in a new camera system.

Handling both, I chose the X1D over the GFX several months ago.  That decision was made because it was clear to me that the design and build quality of the X1D and its lenses were meaningfully of higher quality.  Sure, there were bugs in firmware, a lack of some functions, and differences in lens designs.  I knew at the time that Hasselblad suffered CEO turnover, rebranded cameras, helicopter investors, and likely upcoming Sony and P1 competitors.  But the camera and lenses I had at hand that day were real. And they were simply better.   

What put me over the top, honestly, is Ming Thein.  People like MT can make a change where they go or at least leave a mark.  I am hoping and betting, personally, that the future for H and its mirrorless adventure is bright.  There is good reason to hope. 

We will all see. 

PeterDorr

Thanks Chambesi for pointing out to Nasims article with an excellent and thorough review (and yes, absolutely jaw-dropping beautiful images to show the great potential of the camera).
I have a range of cameras including the H6D-100c and found that to be miles ahead of any of my FF DSLRs including the Canon 1DX and Leica M9 on sheer image quality. Admittedly it took Hasselblad well over 18 months to iron out most of the firmware bugs and deliver the majority of promised features which is way too long IMHO but now it is working as expected.

So I was indeed very much on the look out for a X1D as my travel companion but after reading his review I recognised the exact same (underdeveloped) Firmware pattern as with the H6D and decided to not got for it and stick with my Canon 5DSR for the moment for my city trips. The annoyance and clumsiness of the X1D is just not worth it. So please, engineers at Hasselblad, fix it, upgrade it, extend it, make it work flawless and faster and quite a few "people in the waiting-room" will come over.