New firmware - power over USB at last

Previous topic - Next topic

bdp

Well after one day's shooting still-life with some live video the power bank was only down to 50%, so a good result there.

However the camera battery was running down, a little more than I expected. But one battery still lasted all day and was on 35% by the time I finished shooting. It would usually tell me to 'replace battery' at this point, never gets much lower.

So it just scraped into lasting the day without needing to be changed, which is a good result. It's still cumbersome to have cables and a power bank clamped on to the camera stand, but nowhere near as bad as plugging the camera into the wall via the DC grip. Still, I'm jealous of those DSLR users who have one tiny battery that lasts them all day...

Ben

davidthescot

Thta is great news.  I have just ordered an XT power unit.  Thank you.

bdp

Don't forget to get the free cable from Hasselblad.

Ben

davidthescot

Thank you.  Got the power bank and now waiting for Hasselblad in Sweden to return from their holidays so they can send the cable to the UK to send to me.

Jordan

What is this free cable you guys are talking about?

bdp

Quote from: Jordan on August 03, 2017, 12:39:16 PM
What is this free cable you guys are talking about?

In the attachment I supplied in reply#7, the page of the manual mentions a cable that Hasselblad supplies to connect the XTPower/Comsol power bank to the H6D back. The power bank doesn't have a suitable cable, so Hasselblad kindly supplies it. Hasselblad's item number is 3054180.

Ben

bdp

I'm beginning to wonder if the results of this firmware update are more apparent if you use an iMac or if you have the 100 rather than the 50.

Reason I say that is I have a friend with the H6D-100 and a 2015 iMac and he didn't see his battery get below 50% after all day using it tethered.

Dagmar's experience mentioned earlier also suggests his battery is lasting a lot longer with the new power over USB than mine. Dagmar, is your camera the 50 or 100?

I wonder if the H6D-50 is more power hungry than the 100? I can't imagine the iMac USB port supplies more current than my Mac Pro - it is limited as standard to 900mA and 5v.

Ben