++ X1D V1.17.0 Firmware initial user report ++

Previous topic - Next topic

BostonBoy

All right, someone has to go first, so I took the plunge. Loaded V1.17.0 Firmware, took the afternoon of and went street shooting. I did have trouble with V1.15.0 (no card, spontaneous combustion), but V1.15.1 was rather problem free for me (I did report). My Unit is from ~April '17, and it's rather stable compared to the Demo Unit I tested for 1 week very early in the year (that was very problematic). Let me re-phrase that: the demo unit I got in the past was totally unacceptable, and I seriously looked into the GFX system (being also Fuji APS-C shooter). However, the X1D ultimately drew me in.

I spend two hours+ with the camera today, one battery, always on. X1D became hot as usual (mild-to-hot day here), but I got no shutdowns or no card warnings. So far, so good. I did not test much of the new/additional functionality yet, but the "blinkies" (aka highlight warnings) are sure nice.

So, the camera was stable from all I could tell. No issues with dials etc. I did notice two improvements which are not mentioned, and I'm not sure if it is "just me" getting used to the system more, or if there is a real "operational improvement". It is certainly not mentioned in the V1.17 release notes:

#1 - EVF in portrait mode: I were glasses, and up until now the EVF in portrait never came on reliably. I had to cover the eye sensor with my thumb,
            especially on a bright day. Very annoying. Today it worked like a charm, and it was indeed a very bright day. I need to monitor this further, but
            the EVF response time (how long it takes that it comes on - not the movement lag / refresh rate) seem to be improved. No awkward thumb-
            covering of the eye sensor today.

#2 - AF selection on the touch pad: That never worked reliably for me either, sometime you had to touch multiple times for selection. Today, for the
            first time, I was able to reliably select an AF point on the touch display. Little delay, correct selection as it should have been from the start.

What do others think? What do you have to report? Let the games begin...

I think she is getting ready to fly, don't you think?

hcubell

I decided to take the plunge as well. My X1D has been quite stable, so I can't evaluate some of the issues that others have been dealing with like No Card Errors and erratic Control Wheels. However, I did experience significant errors in the autofocus performance of the lenses, particularly when focusing on distant subject matter. I am happy to report that, so far, the AF performance seems to be very much improved. I used back button AF and then went into magnified Live View to assess the focus accuracy. It seemed to be right on the money, though the size of the AF point is too large at times to put the focus exactly where you want it. Hasselblad will apparently implement a larger number of smaller AF points in a future firmware update.

This firmware update has only one feature upgrade that is of use to me, the overexposure warning in the image that appears on the LCD after you shoot a photo. Nice, though a Live View histogram is still missing. The update is all about improving the stability/reliability of the X1D. I think this was the right approach. Once the basic operability is solid, new features can be added. They will be nice to have, but the X1D is already an amazing camera system as is, if it is reliable.

cementjungle

Does anyone know where we can get this update?

I'm a new owner, and since the user registration doesn't work for new people, there's no easy way to find the update.

The improvements described above with the EVF sound really good to me since I'm a glasses wearer... so for that alone it would be nice to be able to do the update.
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

Michael H. Cothran

Try this link -
http://www.hasselblad.com/support/manuals/medium-format-firmware

Also - be sure you understand "how" to download, then upload the new firmware. If not, ask, and I or someone here can walk you thru it, as well as the fine folks at Hasselblad in Union, NJ ( Paul, Shar, or anyone else you can get on the phone, 1-800-367-6434). Also, remember to remove your battery after the new firmware has loaded successfully. You DO NOT have to turn the camera off when removing the battery, but you will, of course, have to restart it when you re-insert the battery.

cementjungle

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on July 04, 2017, 07:39:50 AM
Try this link -

You need to be a registered user to get to that link, and since I'm a new owner (in the US) there's no way to register. The registration process has been broken, so there's no real option for those of us who purchased recently.
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

cementjungle

Quote from: cementjungle on July 04, 2017, 07:45:58 AM
Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on July 04, 2017, 07:39:50 AM
Try this link -

You need to be a registered user to get to that link, and since I'm a new owner (in the US) there's no way to register. The registration process has been broken, so there's no real option for those of us who purchased recently.

Shar was the kind person who sent me the 1_15 update last week, but they're closed for the holiday now. Perhaps I'll be able to reach her after the holiday so I can give this update a go.

I had no issues last week with the 1_15 update, and since I wear glasses I like the sound of the EVF improvements in this V1_17 update....

Thanks
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

Michael H. Cothran

Sorry - my error in not fully understanding your predicament. Here's a link for registering that "might" work for you. If not, sorry again.

http://www.hasselblad.com/support/enquiries/how-to-register-your-hasselblad-equipment

cementjungle

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on July 04, 2017, 07:52:02 AM
Sorry - my error in not fully understanding your predicament. Here's a link for registering that "might" work for you. If not, sorry again.

http://www.hasselblad.com/support/enquiries/how-to-register-your-hasselblad-equipment

Thanks, but the issue seems to be that for the registration (as well as registered users trying to use the forgotten password function) for any of the sites (Hasselblad.com, Hasselblad.com/us, etc.these functions all tie back to Sweden's computer... and no one except for someone in Sweden can fix it.

Shar has sent a request to the IT people in Sweden, but so far there hasn't been a resolution.

I don't know why they need to password protect firmware updates... since they are of no use to anyone unless they actually own the hardware. Other vendors generally have firmware available to the general public.
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

etto72

Quote from: BostonBoy on July 04, 2017, 03:58:12 AM
All right, someone has to go first, so I took the plunge. Loaded V1.17.0 Firmware, took the afternoon of and went street shooting. I did have trouble with V1.15.0 (no card, spontaneous combustion), but V1.15.1 was rather problem free for me (I did report). My Unit is from ~April '17, and it's rather stable compared to the Demo Unit I tested for 1 week very early in the year (that was very problematic). Let me re-phrase that: the demo unit I got in the past was totally unacceptable, and I seriously looked into the GFX system (being also Fuji APS-C shooter). However, the X1D ultimately drew me in.

I spend two hours+ with the camera today, one battery, always on. X1D became hot as usual (mild-to-hot day here), but I got no shutdowns or no card warnings. So far, so good. I did not test much of the new/additional functionality yet, but the "blinkies" (aka highlight warnings) are sure nice.

So, the camera was stable from all I could tell. No issues with dials etc. I did notice two improvements which are not mentioned, and I'm not sure if it is "just me" getting used to the system more, or if there is a real "operational improvement". It is certainly not mentioned in the V1.17 release notes:

#1 - EVF in portrait mode: I were glasses, and up until now the EVF in portrait never came on reliably. I had to cover the eye sensor with my thumb,
            especially on a bright day. Very annoying. Today it worked like a charm, and it was indeed a very bright day. I need to monitor this further, but
            the EVF response time (how long it takes that it comes on - not the movement lag / refresh rate) seem to be improved. No awkward thumb-
            covering of the eye sensor today.

#2 - AF selection on the touch pad: That never worked reliably for me either, sometime you had to touch multiple times for selection. Today, for the
            first time, I was able to reliably select an AF point on the touch display. Little delay, correct selection as it should have been from the start.

What do others think? What do you have to report? Let the games begin...

I think she is getting ready to fly, don't you think?

I just downloaded the firmware 1.17 and I noticed a tangible improvement concerning the general stability and also the AF accuracy with the 90mm

I was hoping to get the option for smaller AF points,  the live histogram and the image review in viewfinder ...but I guess  its not ready yet

Last week I was  in Norway and while I was preparing to shoot at sunset  for a time lapse I discover  that the camera doesn't have an intervalometer !!!!
Is that something you could add in the near future?? somehow the X1D is the perfect landscape camera and it would extremely useful to get such a functionality!

BostonBoy

All dials issues and firmware glitches aside: the dynamic range of the resulting files is simply *awesome*.

ganesh

I have to confirm that. Yes, the camera is not without its glitches and bugs – but: medium format in such a small, portable package. Impressive picture detail and dynamic range.
Here in Amsterdam at dusk
/ 45mm / f5.6 / 1/50s handheld / ISO 400

Neimad

As I posted on this forum in the past few weeks, I add issues with my X1D and the firmware V1.15.1
Few days ago, I upgraded my X1D to the new version 1.17.0 and I'm very happy to report that so far, all the major issues I had are gone. The camera is still warm after 20-30Min of usage but it doesn't reboot anymore by itself like it used to do with the V1.15.1. No more "No Card" message like I had with the V1.15.1
My X1D is finally stable.
I'm now looking for Hasselblad to implement to new features discussed on this forum (multi ratio image format, copyright info, rating ...)

kiubabar

Used the new firmware for several days. I found that if you use the browse button quite often after you took the shot it will cause the system hang. You need to restart the camera.
Anyone have this problem ?

Kiu

hcubell

Quote from: kiubabar on July 18, 2017, 11:24:56 AM
Used the new firmware for several days. I found that if you use the browse button quite often after you took the shot it will cause the system hang. You need to restart the camera.
Anyone have this problem ?

Kiu

Hmmm. I have not had any problems with the latest firmware. So far, so good.

cementjungle

I've had a couple system hangs on the new firmware, and one case of it telling me "No lens detected".
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com