How do you pack your camera?

Previous topic - Next topic

jimijamesu

If you happen to be using a Pelican case (or similar) I would love to see how you pack your camera. I'm going to setting up a king pelican with pick and pluck foam and I am curious to see how others have arranged their gear (for an H or 2).

Thanks,
James

NickT

James have you looked into these guys that laser cut foam inserts? I've done plenty of pick and pluck over the years and always been disappointed..
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jimijamesu

I did look at laser cut but I think I need to try pick and pluck just to get my hands dirty. I don't think I will know how I want it laid out until I have tried some trial and error.

NickT

Jim have a look here, might help with the planning:

https://www.mycasebuilder.com

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Hassilistic

Laser cut foam is definitely better looking than plucked.. thanks Nick for that.
I use 2 large hardshell cases from BW International, and a Vintage shoulder bag to carry the camera which I always keep very close to me.
I purchased both the Partition and Foam dividers, but mostly I use the soft partitions dividers as I can have a lot of stuff in there as per the assignment.
I only use those hardshell cases however if I have to Haul a lot of gear around or when traveling to and from different locations other than my own work places.  And that would be the only time I will add the Camera in the Hard case.

I use Foam for stuff that mustn't move not even a little bit at all, and need to be held in place firmly.
As for how it looks, that would vary greatly from brand to brand, and the type of gear.  Which is why I favour partitions, and switch around between them and foam as needed.

jimijamesu

I looked at that site. The only thing that gave me pause is the likelihood that I won't get it right the first time. They have generous policies but I'm not that dialed in yet.

Quote from: NickT on July 04, 2017, 08:00:13 AM

Monty Rakusen

In my humble opinion this is the best way to fit out your case and you can design it as you like. And you get more space.http://trekpak.com/

paulgrundy

Another vote for Trekpak. Hard wearing and the best option when you need to put as much stuff as possible into a carry on Peli 1510. I use closed cell foam in individual sections to create a snugg fit for shorter items.

Paul
Paul Grundy

bgateb

I have Pelican 1510 cases with Trekpak dividers.

In my canon case, I've got a 1DX, 1DX2, 11-24L, 70-200L II, 24-70L II, 35L, and 100L Macro, along with batteries, filters, cards, triggers, etc.

In the Hasselblad Case, H6D, 50-110, 80, 120, and a filter case with my Formatt-Hitech system in it along with the adapter rings.

I thought about laser cut, but you're giving up a lot of storage space just to have it look pretty.

cerett

Quote from: paulgrundy on July 05, 2017, 02:14:45 AM
Another vote for Trekpak. Hard wearing and the best option when you need to put as much stuff as possible into a carry on Peli 1510. I use closed cell foam in individual sections to create a snugg fit for shorter items.

Paul
Very interesting. Would you trust this system in an airline baggage compartment?

cerett

Quote from: NickT on July 04, 2017, 08:00:13 AM

Pick and pluck has always turned into an absolute mess for me. I wonder if someone has put together a template for the H system they would like to share?

paulgrundy

Very interesting. Would you trust this system in an airline baggage compartment?
[/quote]

I don't know but I would guess there maybe more protection from laser cut inserts than trekpak or other systems. So this could be the way to go if you have to put cameras in the hold.

My point is that if you can keep everything compact enough to carry on board you avoid the risk of your case being stolen or thrown around by a baggage handler.

(Living in London, for work, I almost always fly BA which allow 23kg of hand baggage plus a laptop bag)

Paul

Paul Grundy