Mq Mode and other interesting features

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Anyone else here utilizing the Mq mode on the X1D? Personally, I've become quite enamored with it. It is only fully useful, of course, with a tripod mounted camera, preferably on a subject that is not moving. It only works in Manual mode, but, I have found, will actually work in other exposure modes as well. It also works in conjunction with the self timer, so, in lieu of a cable release or remote shutter release, it's the next best thing.

Something I've never paid attention to until now - It seems that when you toggle the mode wheel, the M mode will reflect whatever the last reading was in A, S, or P. Maybe you knew that. For instance, you can change the shutter speed in M to something wild, switch to A, S, or P, take a reading, then go back to M, and M will now show the "new" shutter speed, related to what the auto modes chose. All of the auto modes will also change to reflect whatever your reading was in whatever auto exposure mode you were in. Interesting AND convenient...

So, back to Mq - the Mq will "read" whatever is set in the M mode, which, in turn, has been auto adjusted from the A, S, or P modes. Further meaning that, for example, I can be in A mode, then toggle back two steps to Mq, and get the exposure that was read in A mode.

I have read a few posts stating that the Mq mode is "sort of" like mirror lockup on an optical viewfinder. "Sort of" is the key phrase here. However, I find that it is really more like the functioning of a large format lens - In "normal" viewing mode, the lens' shutter AND aperture blades must be open, so that we can see the image on the ground glass, or, with the X1D, on the LCD screen or EVF. Once we've established focus & composition with the large format camera, we can close the shutter & aperture, insert the film, and take the picture. Same basic steps with the X1D - once we have our focus & composition (plus set the exposure values), we can change the mode to Mq, which will close the aperture blades and close the shutter, so that a simple click is all that is needed to activate the shutter, and capture the image. Minimum motion (even more so if you also incorporate the self timer).
If you haven't used the Mq mode, try it out. It is worth knowing about.
Note - If you have a VERY steady hand, you can hold the camera in your left hand, take a meter reading in your choice of exposure modes, rotate to the Mq mode, then fire the shutter. But, in all candor, the camera should be tripod mounted.

I'm impressed. (Although I still long for a remote shutter release!)

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks to Eric Peterson, who, over the phone, just introduced me to Phocus Mobile, which I have now downloaded to my iPhone, and can now easily trigger my camera's shutter via the phone.
Here in the US, it's employees like Eric, Paul, Shar, and a lot more who help make owning a Hasselblad that much more enjoyable. They're always willing to help you, talk with you, explain things, and never make you feel like you're being rushed. Thanks guys!