front and rear dial problem

Previous topic - Next topic

rent

Is anyone also experiencing problems with the front and rear dials? When I turn them, either directions, the numbers (aperture or shutter) jump around. Sometimes they'll go to the next stop after several clicks; sometimes they'll jump to the next stop in opposite direction.

I have not updated to the latest mini firmware (the one that fixes the no card problem). The dial problem appears to be getting worse after several months of use. I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

Beever11

I got that issue when I tried out the demo unit from the shop. I heard several users got the same problem as well.

alkaabi

Yes me too, but only after the latest firmware upgrade. Downgrading didn't help.

I'm mainly using the touch screen now.

mkerouac

I have the issue with the dials and I haven't upgraded to the new firmware   The issue just cropped up too.  I've had the camera since Jan. 

rent

I've been working with HBI (US) support on this. They have been very prompt with email correspondence. They had me try the following:

1) Reset all settings. This is in the Services menu. After this reset, both wheels saw improvement. The front is almost working as it should be, only occasionally skipping a click. The rear is still jittery, but better than before. Note I have not upgraded to 1.15.1.

2) Factory reset the camera. This did not result in any changes in wheels behavior.

Could you try (1) above and see if there's any improvement? I can give you instruction for (2) as well if you want to give it a try. PM me.

I'm waiting for next firmware release to see if it makes any difference before sending the camera in for repair.

Alex

Quote from: mkerouac on June 29, 2017, 11:42:31 AM
I have the issue with the dials and I haven't upgraded to the new firmware   The issue just cropped up too.  I've had the camera since Jan.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

mkerouac

Hi,

I reset factory settings.  The dials still don't work.  I don't see any improvement.  I can set the f-stop and shutter speeds with rear screen no problem.  Dials are useless.  Kind of surprising, I didn't upgrade firmware.  The camera was working fine for months.  Only change at all was using a spare battery that finally arrived. 

As as side note the front dial doesn't work when trying to change focus points either.  Just jumps around. 

mkerouac

More detail:

I did not update to the 1.15.1 firmware and the issues with the dials not controlling the f-stop, shutter speed and even the focus point cropped up on my camera last week.  So unless my X1D was able to absorb the new firmware issues by Osmosis, I don't think this is just a firmware issue.  I have one of the early 4116 versions that came to the US.  Hasselblad support had me send a video of the issue.  They are now closed for the holiday.  I hope to hear something next week.  Fortunately, I only have the issues with the dials.  My camera is not freezing or rebooting.  That seems to be exclusive to the new firmware release.

Just for reference, I am on 1.15.0, I haven't had any issues with the no card error, so I didn't upgrade to 1.15.1
I did a reset to default settings - no help
I did a factory firmware reset per directions form HB service - no help
I tried A/S/M modes, no difference, dials do not work properly
I tried no lens on the body - not fixed
I tried different lens on the body - not fixed

So whatever is causing this can't be fixed by current firmware.  The fact that the issues appeared over time after the camera worked fine for months, has me thinking there is a hardware failure.  Some type of position sensor for the dials is not working correctly.  There can be multiple scenarios for this.  Only some of us have defective parts and they fail at about the same number of hours. Or all the parts are effected and those of us having the issue are just seeing early life failures.    Or some version of in between.  Although frustrating, HB is responsive and I'm hoping they can get to root cause and corrective action quickly.  Summer months aren't going to help.  Many Europeans take 3-4 weeks at a time off in the summer. 

JoeC

Quote from: mkerouac on July 01, 2017, 10:57:06 AM
More detail:

I did not update to the 1.15.1 firmware and the issues with the dials not controlling the f-stop, shutter speed and even the focus point cropped up on my camera last week.  So unless my X1D was able to absorb the new firmware issues by Osmosis, I don't think this is just a firmware issue.  I have one of the early 4116 versions that came to the US.  Hasselblad support had me send a video of the issue.  They are now closed for the holiday.  I hope to hear something next week.  Fortunately, I only have the issues with the dials.  My camera is not freezing or rebooting.  That seems to be exclusive to the new firmware release.

Just for reference, I am on 1.15.0, I haven't had any issues with the no card error, so I didn't upgrade to 1.15.1
I did a reset to default settings - no help
I did a factory firmware reset per directions form HB service - no help
I tried A/S/M modes, no difference, dials do not work properly
I tried no lens on the body - not fixed
I tried different lens on the body - not fixed

So whatever is causing this can't be fixed by current firmware.  The fact that the issues appeared over time after the camera worked fine for months, has me thinking there is a hardware failure.  Some type of position sensor for the dials is not working correctly.  There can be multiple scenarios for this.  Only some of us have defective parts and they fail at about the same number of hours. Or all the parts are effected and those of us having the issue are just seeing early life failures.    Or some version of in between.  Although frustrating, HB is responsive and I'm hoping they can get to root cause and corrective action quickly.  Summer months aren't going to help.  Many Europeans take 3-4 weeks at a time off in the summer.

I've got the same problem and it has gotten worse with time. Initially, I experienced an occasional "skipping" when using the front scroll wheel. Now both wheels are erratic. Useless for changing settings. I've contacted Hasselblad and am awaiting a response. BTW, as you have demonstrated, cycling through the firmware versions doesn't help. I'm now on v1.17 and I experience the same behavior as with 1.15 and 1.15.1.

Joe

rent

Joe,

I've sent mine to HBI to get it serviced. Might consider sending it sooner rather than later since they start vacation in Europe soon.

Alex
Alex Jiang

Instagram

mkerouac

Quote from: rent on July 06, 2017, 08:00:54 AM
Joe,

I've sent mine to HBI to get it serviced. Might consider sending it sooner rather than later since they start vacation in Europe soon.

Alex

Hasselblad fully up to speed on the problem.  It can't be fixed with software.  So anyone that has the issue should contact HB service and setup a return and repair.  They are expediting repairs for this issue.  HB has been very responsive.  I'm impressed with the speed and quality of their service organization.

Imagecrazy

May I ask, are we all expected to have this problem eventually, or just a subset of owners that got a defective part?

mkerouac

From what I understand, it's just s subset of early cameras, not an entire population problem. 

alkaabi

Quote from: mkerouac on July 07, 2017, 07:46:43 AM
From what I understand, it's just s subset of early cameras, not an entire population problem.

This would require a confirmation from HB team, because i already exchanged my first X1D with a new one and it still have this problem. So maybe they can publish the serial numbers of the cameras that could have been affected by this issue. Otherwise I'm still hoping it is just a firmware issue that will be fixed soon (I'm tired of waiting honestly :( ).

mkerouac

Quote from: alkaabi on July 08, 2017, 05:31:24 AM
Quote from: mkerouac on July 07, 2017, 07:46:43 AM

This would require a confirmation from HB team, because i already exchanged my first X1D with a new one and it still have this problem. So maybe they can publish the serial numbers of the cameras that could have been affected by this issue. Otherwise I'm still hoping it is just a firmware issue that will be fixed soon (I'm tired of waiting honestly

It is not a firmware issue.  The control dials need to be replaced once the issue pops up. This is confirmed by Hasselblad.   You can either try and get another replacement camera or you can send your camera in to have the dials replaced.  I sent my camera in to get the dials replaced.  Now I know that I will have known good parts. 

Cliff S