Jump to MF - Computer Capacity issues

Previous topic - Next topic

shicks5319

I was not quite sure how to search for this question.   So if this is something that has been discussed, please excuse my redundancy. 

I have been shooting Canon and Leica for some time now.   I just jumped on a Hassy H5dc with a 50MG back and am thrilled with the files i am getting.  The problem is: 80 mg per image is choking my computer setup. 

I am running a 2015Mac Book Pro with intel core i7 - 4 cores and 16 GB of ram with external drives for storage.  When I am at my office, the Mac Book Pro drives a NEC 27" monitor.  My  storage is made up of 3 HGST 4GB drives the; primary one connected via Thunderbolt.  The other 4GB drives are primarily for backups.

This set up worked well when my images were 40mg or less.  But now, processing images from my new hassy is like watching grass grow.

I am interested in what others have done to overcome hardware bottle necks when they jumped to MF. 

davidthescot

Hi

I switched from a laptop to a 12 core Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM and thunderbolt RAID storage from OWC.  Files from my H6D-100 are around 650MB and theres is no issue processing times or capacity.

Well priced refurbished Macpro's are available on the web from OWC and others.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/13I27S464GB/?utm_source=diglloyd&utm_content=PTAG_SKUS_Big_Discounts_on_Refurb_Macs_TD_owc_TEXT_SKU_UAP13I27S464GB~diglloyd@index

Hassilistic

HI There, I have the same Laptop if I am not mistaken:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) - 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 (OC 4.0GHz) - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - SSD - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

I choose to stay on OS Yosemite 10.10. , It makes a world of difference not only in speed but in how it works with Phocus.
My SSD hardesk also plays a key factor in speed although it is only 1TB, I have my backups daisy chained on HGST raid drives from G-RAID the new branding from Hitachi.

If you have the same set up above, I sure you it is plenty fast.  I too use a 27# EIZO connected via Thunderbolt & a 23# AppleStudio double monitor configuration with no trouble at all, I am thankful to the OWC port expansion dock for thunderbolt 2, it is an absolute dream.

* If you are using External HDD, I would suggest you create a 64GB Scratch Disk Space if you are an Adobe CS CC user.  Be sure to set it up in Photoshop and link to the disk you are using.  As well as increasing Cache size, be generous.

shicks5319

Thank you davidthescot and Hassilistic.  I appreciate the suggestions.