"export" of RAW

Previous topic - Next topic

danjahn

Hi all,
This is probably something dead simple but I am not seeing it. I have something like 1400 images form a shoot, I have done my selects and applied some adjustments to about 30 of them. I now want to send those RAW files (with those current adjustments) to my retoucher. How can I "export" just those 30 RAW files and have those adjustments go with them? I don't want to send the retoucher Tiff, I want to send them raw so they can do some further adjustment layers, etc. But I don't want to manually sort through my images in the Finder (Mac) and look for each file name.

Hassilistic

Hi Danjahn,

Once I am finished with a file [3F], I give it a unique name so that I can identify easily, Go to my other editing program [ex. Iridient Developer (my go to App for B&W images)], and Import the file from there into the program.

Good luck

PS> You can not export RAW files other than DNG, so if you wanted 3F the above mentioned method is the only other way I know.

Miller

Next time, you could apply star ratings to edited pictures. When done, filter for the rating applied. Then select and copy or export.

danjahn

Hi Frans,
Is there a way to export RAW? I can't find it. I do use stars, and filter for the stars, but I want to then "easily" gather those RAW files and send them onwards, I do not want to export Tiff, etc.

ChrisL

If you edit a RAW file it is no longer a RAW file (the RAW file data has been demosaiced by the computer program to produce an image from the camera output bayer filtered data which has then been adjusted by you and cannot be put back again to RAW.

"A raw file is a collection of unprocessed data. This means the file has not been altered, compressed, or manipulated in any way by the computer."
https://techterms.com/definition/rawfile

You can't export an adjusted RAW file you need to send the RAW file as is with an accompanying processed file to show the re-toucher what you want if a TIFF is not acceptable, is that a request from the retoucher?

danjahn

Hi,
This doesn't seem to be the way it works though. I have all my files on external drive. If I make adjustments in Phocus at home on my laptop, then unplug the drive and take the drive to my studio and plug it in there, all those adjustments are stored somewhere, as they are all visible on a completely different computer - just launch Phocus, browse to that same folder, and look at a file and all my adjustments are present. So, the retoucher for this ad agency is asking for the files in RAW format with those adjustments. I could of course just send the whole drive, but I was hoping there was a way to "export" just those 30 or so raw files with my adjustments.

Miller

All adjustments you make in Phocus are embedded in the 3f files.
When you open the edited 3f files in other applications, like ACR or Lightroom, the adjustments you made in Phocus will not be recognized.
That is why you export from Phocus to tiff or psd. In export, all modifications are applied to the resulting file.

ChrisL

Quote from: danjahn on June 07, 2017, 07:04:59 AM
Hi,
This doesn't seem to be the way it works though. I have all my files on external drive. If I make adjustments in Phocus at home on my laptop, then unplug the drive and take the drive to my studio and plug it in there, all those adjustments are stored somewhere, as they are all visible on a completely different computer - just launch Phocus, browse to that same folder, and look at a file and all my adjustments are present. So, the retoucher for this ad agency is asking for the files in RAW format with those adjustments. I could of course just send the whole drive, but I was hoping there was a way to "export" just those 30 or so raw files with my adjustments.

I explicitly said export, that was meant to imply sending to another program other than Phocus. If you are re-opening your files from the hard drive on another copy of Phocus that is not exporting. You correctly see you can close and re-open a demosaiced RAW file in Phocus, the adjustments are stored in what is called a sidecar file, embedded as Miller states, that is not readable on other editing programs.
I suspect that this ad agency retoucher is indeed asking for RAW files which you can send but they will have to be just that, the RAW file from the camera unadjusted in Phocus. As I suggest you can send those and an adjusted file to show your intentions. I am not commercial so I am not aware what is common practice but I understood a TIFF file or psd was the preferred exchange file format as Miller again says.
If you send your drive or a copy the retoucher could only open them in Phocus, not what they will be using to edit with I suspect, then they would export in their preferred format to work on or use the actual unadjusted RAW which can be demosaiced in other programs the issue then being the rather nice Phocus colour profiles are lost.

danjahn

The retoucher wants to use the capabilities of Phocus to build some adjustment layers to work with a few things in the files RAW state. This is becoming more and more of a request I get from my higher end ad agencies, and I am fine with it. I guess I am simply not explaining my question well, so I will try again, by using workflow steps:

1. Import all images into Phocus
2. Make selects using stars, narrow down to final selects (4 star images) for client.
3. Make some basic adjustments to exposure, etc in Phocus so I am sure they are going the right direction.
4. Send ONLY those starred, adjusted RAW images to client, who then opens them _in Phocus_, and does further RAW adjustment using adjustment layers before exporting to TIFF for final photoshop retouch.

So, after step 3, I have roughly 30 images selected in Phocus (out of roughly 1500), which have some level of adjustments applied in Phocus. Phocus stores that information (star rating, adjustments, etc) with that specific raw file (which I can tell, because I can take that RAW file over to another completely different computer, drop it into a folder, launch Phocus on that new computer, browse to that folder, and look at the raw file, and it will have my star rating and my adjustments applied. It stores that info with the actual raw file, as no XMP data file is created by Phocus. So, this is true "non destructive" editing, as the RAW file is intact, but Phocus is storing and reading and applying that info (ratings and adjustments) that I originally made on a completely different computer, which is exactly what I want, and what the retoucher wants. Retoucher wants to see my adjustments, in Phocus, on the RAW files, and then further adjust those RAW files.

So, Step 4 is the issue. Is there an "easy" method to quickly select those 4 star, adjusted, raw files, and "export" and/or "move" them, in their RAW state, so that I can quickly bundle them up and send them off? Current method is manually tracking each file name, going to the Finder and into that folder, finding that filename, and copying that RAW file off into another folder, one by one. Very tedious.

NickT

Dan
Hoping I understand you correctly. Filter down so you are only showing 4-star images. I'm assuming you don't want to rename the selects at this point? (If you do just re-name them to "Original_Name_202_Select" or something).

So assuming you don't want to rename just select all the thumbnails in Phocus and drag them to a new folder within Phocus.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

DJPixelMan

Quote from: NickT on June 07, 2017, 11:13:17 AM
Dan
Hoping I understand you correctly. Filter down so you are only showing 4-star images. I'm assuming you don't want to rename the selects at this point? (If you do just re-name them to "Original_Name_202_Select" or something).

So assuming you don't want to rename just select all the thumbnails in Phocus and drag them to a new folder within Phocus.

Beat me to it.

bdp

Here's another way: In Phocus, command-click all the thumbnails you want so they are selected then control click any of them and select 'Reveal in finder'. A finder window pops up with all the raws highlighted and selected. Press Command-C and then navigate to an empty folder and Command-V to paste copies of them there.

Ben

Hassilistic

Got to folder> Select 30 files> drag and drop onto USB/HDD/Email/FTP/etc....

Don't use Phocus to export!

danjahn

"drag them to a new folder within Phocus"
Thats' the trick! I knew it was something dead simple.
Thanks!