Hasselblad's X1D Firmware Update Wish List -- User Poll

Previous topic - Next topic

BradP

This poll is a consolidation of all requests in a related post in this forum entitled "X1D: Firmware Improvements Wish List."  After each option, a number appears in parentheses indicating how many times the firmware update wish was requested by someone in that post.  For example, the most posters (5) mentioned they wanted a live view histogram in the EVF or LCD.  The options are sorted from most mentioned to least mentioned in that post, and then by the order in which they appeared.

I am unaffiliated with Hasselblad other than by my new purchase of an X1D.  I put this poll together to hopefully provide clearer feedback on what X1D owners or interested persons would want in the next firmware updates so it might be helpful in helping them prioritize.

Please vote!

Eric Borgström

Hopefully we will have a firmware update giving a reasonable stable X1D at its one year birthday 22 June.
The Calgary Can. Camera Store review of the X1D summarises the joy and problems well. Camera NOT ready.

https://youtu.be/LJSRKsj31bE

/Eric (Owner of a X1D)

isarus

Quote from: ericborgstrom on May 30, 2017, 02:21:35 AM
Hopefully we will have a firmware update giving a reasonable stable X1D at its one year birthday 22 June.
The Calgary Can. Camera Store review of the X1D summarises the joy and problems well. Camera NOT ready.

https://youtu.be/LJSRKsj31bE

/Eric (Owner of a X1D)

Agree!! The camera is NOT ready for prime time.

Greg

While there are a few minor issues with the X1D, I couldn't disagree with you more.  I has met every need I have had, and I enjoy the camera immensely.

BradP

I'm invested in it because of its current image quality, promise of new lenses (particularly the 120, 22 and 65), and firmware updates which I'm betting are coming.  I demoed the GFX for a week and found the X1D's IQ, focusing capabilities, physical build quality, current lens quality, and overall promise better overall.  I anticipate, hopefully correctly, that the X1D (and future X2D) will be one of the highest quality platforms during the next 5 years or so.  I imagine there will be other entrants into mirrorless MF over the next year or two (possibly P1 or Sony), but I'm hoping that H keeps its standards and IQ at the very highest end. 

Currently, there are clearly annoying bugs and firmware updates needed (many of these presumably possible with the current hardware), thus why I took half a day to start this poll hopefully to assist in prioritizing that from owners' perspectives.  Because of bugs and its lack of some common features, I can see why many people would say it's not prime time yet or advise to wait for the next generation.  For me at least I am happy to have it as it is now and look forward to updates/lenses.

Now if more people would just agree with me that focus stacking would be cool to add all would be good!

Here's an interesting comment from another post here showing that the X1D may be able to be upgraded quite a bit with its current hardware.  The italics are a response from someone at Hasselblad.  (I deleted a couple things that already were implemented in the last firmware update).  Separately I've had responses from H suggesting they are working on highlight blinkies and a way to turn on live view independently of the shutter button maybe to be released during the next few firmware updates.

Given H is a smaller company, prioritizing the most useful updates seems important.

[Wishlist of another poster]

Option to lock exposure when AF is achieved, thereby allowing me to focus and recompose without pressing the AE-L button
This is a planned feature. Will come...

Live histogram (EVF and rear LCD)

More AF points; 35 is OK but I'd like 4x that many
We are planning to have a smaller 2.5x2.5mm area as an option and then you get 63 points.

Wired cable release connecting to the USB port
We are trying to find the best way to add a cable release function

Auto ISO in M mode; I want to be able to set the aperture and shutter speed and have ISO "float"
We had this in the early testing of the Auto-ISO function, but quite many said it was confusing. It might come back.

Better mobile app; Phocus mobile is barely acceptable even when used as just a shutter release IMHO
This will also have an update soon. Probably not all the features you want though!  ;-) What is missing?

We are now finalizing the tests of the GPS module at the moment so it shouldn't be long.
I hope you have noted that the blackout period is much longer if you add JPG. You should use RAW only. In that case the blackout period is as short as the sensor allows.
Compressed RAW will come...

isarus

Quote from: BradP on May 30, 2017, 06:36:51 AM
I'm invested in it because of its current image quality, promise of new lenses (particularly the 120, 22 and 65), and firmware updates which I'm betting are coming.  I demoed the GFX for a week and found the X1D's IQ, focusing capabilities, physical build quality, current lens quality, and overall promise better overall.  I anticipate, hopefully correctly, that the X1D (and future X2D) will be one of the highest quality platforms during the next 5 years or so.  I imagine there will be other entrants into mirrorless MF over the next year or two (possibly P1 or Sony), but I'm hoping that H keeps its standards and IQ at the very highest end. 

Currently, there are clearly annoying bugs and firmware updates needed (many of these presumably possible with the current hardware), thus why I took half a day to start this poll hopefully to assist in prioritizing that from owners' perspectives.  Because of bugs and its lack of some common features, I can see why many people would say it's not prime time yet or advise to wait for the next generation.  For me at least I am happy to have it as it is now and look forward to updates/lenses.

Now if more people would just agree with me that focus stacking would be cool to add all would be good!

Here's an interesting comment from another post here showing that the X1D may be able to be upgraded quite a bit with its current hardware.  The italics are a response from someone at Hasselblad.  (I deleted a couple things that already were implemented in the last firmware update).  Separately I've had responses from H suggesting they are working on highlight blinkies and a way to turn on live view independently of the shutter button maybe to be released during the next few firmware updates.

Given H is a smaller company, prioritizing the most useful updates seems important.

[Wishlist of another poster]

Option to lock exposure when AF is achieved, thereby allowing me to focus and recompose without pressing the AE-L button

Live histogram (EVF and rear LCD)

More AF points; 35 is OK but I'd like 4x that many
We are planning to have a smaller 2.5x2.5mm area as an option and then you get 63 points.

Wired cable release connecting to the USB port
We are trying to find the best way to add a cable release function

Auto ISO in M mode; I want to be able to set the aperture and shutter speed and have ISO "float"
We had this in the early testing of the Auto-ISO function, but quite many said it was confusing. It might come back.

Better mobile app; Phocus mobile is barely acceptable even when used as just a shutter release IMHO
This will also have an update soon. Probably not all the features you want though!  ;-) What is missing?

We are now finalizing the tests of the GPS module at the moment so it shouldn't be long.
I hope you have noted that the blackout period is much longer if you add JPG. You should use RAW only. In that case the blackout period is as short as the sensor allows.
Compressed RAW will come...

I agree to the fact that the body has potential. But as a landscaper, I must rely on the camera and I have gotten all the problems with the software already mentioned in other threads and various forums. Dead live view on LCD in Sunlight during critical composing, rebooting due to no response at all, removing the camera from the tripod to be able to re-insert battery etc. But no panic - I've been waiting for the camera a year so I can wait a bit more until the guys i Gothenburg gets the software up and running. X1D will be laying on my shelf while I sadly jump around with IQ3 few more months during my sessions. Looking forward to have X1D in my backpack instead.

Imagecrazy

So far with my copy of the X1d, which I purchased new in March, has been mostly smooth sailing.  Haven't experienced all the troubles reported.  Just an occasional glitch but not very often.  That's par for a new system, I would think.  Are people reporting such bugs testing on a pre production copy?  Or maybe not fast enough SD card which may cause errors that may not translate as SD card error to the user, but as software goes, you just experience the last thing to break which isn't necessarily what is wrong.

Cliff S

New mini-firmware released - 1.15.1

Supposed to fix the No Card error

hcubell

Nice that Hasselblad has jumped on this rather than waiting for a more expansive firmware update. However, perhaps it means that a more expansive firmware update is a ways off.

neilb

Continuous AF would be a great help.

NickT

Thanks for this Brad, be assured that Hasselblad will see it.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

rent

Hey Nick, any idea when the next (significant) firmware update will be released?

Thanks!
Alex

Quote from: NickT on June 03, 2017, 04:04:26 AM
Alex Jiang

Instagram

BradP

Quote from: NickT on June 03, 2017, 04:04:26 AM

Thanks Nick.  I'm starting to really love this camera.   If a few of these top rated ones get done soon I'm sure a lot more people will too!

neilb

Just re-reading the poll and I would change one of my votes to go for:
Activate/deactivate LCD Live View with something other than the shutter button (4)

this is definitely a critical improvement.