Tethering H4D - Dropping Connection

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicktech

Hi all,

I'm new here, so hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to tether an H4D into Phocus with a cable run over 15ft (ideally 30ft). The FW800 spec lists 15ft as the max length (without a signal amp of some sort), so I was wondering what setups people have used successfully over 15ft. I'm usually attached to a Mac Pro 2013 trash can or sometimes a 2013 i7 fully loaded Macbook Pro Retina. Both running El Capitan and not Sierra.

From talking to a few users I know the "preferred" method I have heard is using a powered hub or dock (like the belkin thunderbolt docks) since the hasselblad doesn't have a battery in the back like Phase backs do to help stabilize the cable power.

I've also had strange issues where sometimes ONLY the hasselblad OEM fw800 cable will work and 3rd party ones will not. Seems the Hassy one "clicks" in the port and goes in a little further. Am I imagining that?

Anyway, thanks in advance! I'm a digital itech in LA and sparingly tech Hasselblad, but whenever I do I seem to run into this same problem.

thanks!

Monty Rakusen

Hi, I have used a Lindy booster cable in the past. FW cables can be quite temperamental, you could try a tethertools one which I've had for a long time but now seems to be failing. I bought a cheap grinding wheel, comes in useful for sharpening axes and tools and lives in our studio workshop. Just a GENTLE run over the plastic will reduce their size so they fit...dont go mad though!

NickT

Hi Nick and welcome.

I run a 10 metre cable via thunderbolt adaptor day in and day out with never a dropped connection. I used to use an unpowered hub (mainly to reduce strain on the back's FW port from the heavy cable but it dies and I just run it direct. I have a couple of cable ties at the camera end of things that I loop over the tripod head handles to take the pressure off.  Thesis the cable I use:

http://www.granitedigital.com/firewire9pinto9pin1394b32cablenoled.aspx

HTH
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Nicktech

Monty Rakusen:
Good to know on the Lindy cable. I will check those out. I have tethertools cables for every other interface (usb2 and usb3 for canons and nikons, usb 3 for phase backs and their usb 3 "tetherboost 2.0") as well as their matching extensions. But I was told the fw800 tethertools cable wouldn't fit the hd4 so i went with a 30ft fw800 cable made by Ninevolt and sold at Digital Transitions here in LA or on amazon. Now it makes sense what you are saying about grinding it down to fit haha. I've done that before for a usb cable into a phase back on set with a pocket knife. Not fun! Thanks for the tip tho! :)

NickT:
I will check out the cable you suggested too! I actually haven't heard of that company either. Your setup sounds solid so the cable must be good! When searching the topic on here I think i saw you mention in another thread that your setup went to an iMac right? Is that still the case? Wondering if the thunderbolt port's power is a little lower on a macbook pro or mac pro trash can than your imac for some strange reason? A few friends mentioned using the belkin or owc powered thunderbolt docks as they provide power to the fw800 port too and should stabilize the connection. I need to get one anyway, so going to try that too and will report back.

Also completely unrelated, do you know if there is a way to have 2 viewers in Phocus? I run an 2nd monitor on a roller stand usually 25 ft away (from my main comp and monitor) for clients to see. But if i move the viewer to the 2nd monitor then i no longer have a viewer on my monitor on my cart, only thumbnails. My work around for now is mirroring the screens in os x, but then the client sees all the things i'm doing. Which i don't really like. Harder to hide my tricks and fixes. Haha. Capture One allows a 2nd viewer so I always do that when teching Phase or DSLR's, just can't find a way to do it in Phocus. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long read!

NickT

Quote from: Nicktech on May 09, 2017, 03:47:45 PM
Now it makes sense what you are saying about grinding it down to fit haha. I've done that before for a usb cable into a phase back on set with a pocket knife. Not fun! Thanks for the tip tho! :)

I've trimmed a few cables down over the years and it's not that scary, just need a sharp blade.
I will check out the cable you suggested too! I actually haven't heard of that company either. Your setup sounds solid so the cable must be good! When searching the topic on here I think i saw you mention in another thread that your setup went to an iMac right? Is that still the case? Wondering if the thunderbolt port's power is a little lower on a macbook pro or mac pro trash can than your imac for some strange reason? A few friends mentioned using the belkin or owc powered thunderbolt docks as they provide power to the fw800 port too and should stabilize the connection. I need to get one anyway, so going to try that too and will report back.
Yes currently using an iMac but the setup works with an older unibody MacBook Pro too. Mac FW voltages are known to be all over the place which is a pain...
Also completely unrelated, do you know if there is a way to have 2 viewers in Phocus? I run an 2nd monitor on a roller stand usually 25 ft away (from my main comp and monitor) for clients to see. But if i move the viewer to the 2nd monitor then i no longer have a viewer on my monitor on my cart, only thumbnails. My work around for now is mirroring the screens in os x, but then the client sees all the things i'm doing. Which i don't really like. Harder to hide my tricks and fixes. Haha. Capture One allows a 2nd viewer so I always do that when teching Phase or DSLR's, just can't find a way to do it in Phocus. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long read!
Probably best in a new thread... You could either drag the thumbnails or your machine super big, pretty much as good as the viewer. Or you could run Phocus mobile on an iPad which is what I do (keeps pesky clients away from set). If you ran two monitors on your cart, one with separate viewer then you could mirror only the viewer monitor to a THIRD client monitor...

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Nicktech

Understood! Yeah, client always demands at least a 24" monitor as these are generally high-end ad jobs (movie posters etc). I thought of the 3rd monitor idea too but it's just excessive and the rental budget wouldn't get approved. Ah well, hopefully they will implement a second floating window in Phocus eventually. :)