Pinhole for H system?

Previous topic - Next topic

bernardl

Dear all,

Would someone be aware of commercially available pinhole for H mount?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

NickT

Would it not be possible by cutting a hole in a body cap and glueing a piece of thin metal with a hole in it to the cap?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

bernardl

Quote from: NickT on April 06, 2017, 10:14:37 AM
Would it not be possible by cutting a hole in a body cap and glueing a piece of thin metal with a hole in it to the cap?

Hi Nick,

Thanks.

Sure, this would be the B plan if I cannot find any commercial solution.

Cheers,
Bernard

Domip

How tiny must be such a hole ?

jerome_m

Not really, no. You would lack a shutter.

bernardl

Quote from: jerome_m on April 15, 2017, 05:11:37 AM

Not really, no. You would lack a shutter.

That wouldn'd be a major issue considering the f stop of pinholes. The exposures starts when the mirrors goes up and ends when it goes down.

The main value of a shutter is to accurately control exposure time, but this is irrelevant for pinholes.

Cheers,
Bernard

NickT

Just did an experiment cutting into a body cap and putting some foil over the hole with a pinhole in it, worked just fine.

Useful info here:

http://www.pinhole.org

And you can buy precision made pinholes here:

https://www.pinholeresource.com/index.php/all-products/zone-plate-digital-no-dust-body-caps/hasselblad-zone-plate-body-cap-detail
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Hassilistic

Quote from: NickT on May 11, 2017, 12:47:00 PM
Just did an experiment cutting into a body cap and putting some foil over the hole with a pinhole in it, worked just fine.

Useful info here:

http://www.pinhole.org

And you can buy precision made pinholes here:

https://www.pinholeresource.com/index.php/all-products/zone-plate-digital-no-dust-body-caps/hasselblad-zone-plate-body-cap-detail

Please share results ... I am intrigued!

bernardl

Thanks Nick, I had missed your answer.

Interested in yours results also.

Cheers,
Bernard

bernardl

I managed to get a CF compatible pinhole cap... and tried to mound it on the CF -> H official Hasselblad adapter, itself mounted on the H6D-100c.

It may be user error, but even when setting the camera in M mode (which is the only option btw), the set shutter speed doesn't seem to be applied... the exposure ends immediately and obviously results in a highly under-exposed image.

Any idea what I could be going wrong?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

ChrisL

I think you need to select a lens in the CF adapter menu to trick the camera into working.
If you attach the CF adapter with no lens the viewfinder shows CF, then you attach a lens and it asks you to choose which one, when selected the focal length is displayed. This sequence I assume is unchanged from my H1 (firmware current). It "knows" when a lens is attached and I suspect without a lens attached it will not operate properly.
I have tried adding an extension tube (V type obviously) to the CF adapter and that tricks it into asking for a lens, I have no pinhole to play with but suspect if you select a random lens with an extension added it may be tricked into working as you need. You would need to run the pinhole attached to the extension of course because once removed the CF indication comes back and the focal length indication disappears.
If you attach a lens to the adapter, choose it in the menu then remove the lens, the camera reverts back to the CF indication so that would not work as a trick.

There are formulae for calculating pinhole size from the pinhole distance to the "film" plane so you may need to adjust the size if you use an extension. The size does make a big difference to the result. I have experimented with a Leica M  pinhole adapter that allows you mount different size pinholes.

The brass shim has the hole, off centre as you see!!
(Nearly onn topic as this with a P20 back on the 500 series with 120mm Makro Planar  8))

bernardl

Thanks a lot Chris, I'll,give thatna try.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hassilistic

I always imagined that attractiveness behind the use of a Pinhole photography is to do away with Zoom & Focus.

What are your thoughts and findings guys? 

bernardl

Quote from: Hassilistic on May 28, 2017, 06:03:32 AM
I always imagined that attractiveness behind the use of a Pinhole photography is to do away with Zoom & Focus.

What are your thoughts and findings guys?

I wish I were able to answer based on results... ;)

But in terms of intent, I am personnally looking to a different look. I feel that large CMOS sensors have the potential to be pretty great for pinhole photography.

Cheers,
Bernard

ChrisL

You loose lens selection and focus decisions but exposure time is the problem, even with landscape things move, CMOS will be of great benefit I think my M8 is CCD of course. Used creatively the time can be an advantage. Interesting results are possible but too much experimenting with few hard facts for me.
As I like a challenge this was on Technical Pan on a Leica M2 developed in Delagi8 40 second exposure (as you see a difficult film to process cleanly) the pinhole size needs refining for sharpness.