Dell 8K UltraSharp 32inch Monitor

Previous topic - Next topic

Hassilistic

I can't wait to see my images at almost near native size on these magnificent LED-backlit LCD's.  Just may end up buying one!
- With Color Gamut of (typical): 100% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB, 100% Rec709, 98% DCI-P3 / Color Depth: 1.07 Billion colors.
- Native Resolution 8K 7680 x 4320 at 60 Hz.
- And a glorious 280ppi.

- With a costs of $5K.  Which compared to IBMs near super 4k monitor which just like this one was way ahead of its time nearly more than 15yrs ago cost $18k with the following specs (at 200dpi for a 22″ screen: 17.6″ x 13.2″ ( 4 x 3 ratio) 3520 x 2640 pixels = 9,292,800 total pixels ( 9 million) and don't forget, that was 15yrs+ ago.

So happy I was born during these times ;D 8)

bernardl

Pretty neat indeed.

Now, can it be controlled at native resolutions by a Mac Pro 2013?

Cheers,
Bernard

NickT

I have heard a few people say that it can be frustrating re-touching on these high res monitors as the image at 100% just isn't that big on screen. Thoughts?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Hassilistic

Quote from: NickT on April 06, 2017, 10:08:59 AM
I have heard a few people say that it can be frustrating re-touching on these high res monitors as the image at 100% just isn't that big on screen. Thoughts?

LOL.. True very true .. Which is why on my current EIZO 27# I scoured the earth looking for the Intous4 XL (as Wacom don't make that size anymore) and finally found one in Canada.  Now to zoom in I just use the dial, which I am sure I well exceed the 400% zoom at times just to get close enough to verify or tackle specific details.  Up until now, I just thought it was eyes deteriorating. :p

bernardl

Quote from: NickT on April 06, 2017, 10:08:59 AM

Indeed. I use a 2 screens set up with a 4K LG screen for navigation and a NEC full Hd  for editin.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hassilistic

Thinking about all the money I spent on Monitors, I decided to Revive my sweet Apple Cinema HD, so I had to first order a DVI to Thunderbolt adapter which you can pick up at Amazon for under $30.  Add another Firewire 400 to 800 adapter for Under $10.  And you're set.

I switched it on, clipped my Calibrator and this beauty works like it hadn't missed a day.  In it's glory days it was a thing to behold and admire, simply miles ahead, and till this day, everyone here at the office is still mesmerised by its sleekness and beauty.

You can pick one cheaply, they don't build them like this anymore, which is why this series of Apple Cinema HD monitors are still craved for.

* If anyones interested in this, here is everything you need to know about it:
Apple 23" Cinema Display
Introduction Date: June 28, 2004 Discontinued Date: November 17, 2008
Display Type: TFT LCD Display Size: 23-Inch
Optimum Resolution: 1920x1200 Max. Display Colors: 16.7 Million
Details: Supports 1024 by 640, 1280 by 800, and 1920 by 1200 (optimum).
Viewing Angle: 170/170* Response Time: 16 ms
Details: *170 degrees horizontal, 170 degrees vertical.
Brightness: 270 (400*) cd/m2 Contrast Ratio: 400:1 (700:1*)
DPI/PPI: 100 Dot/Pixel Pitch: 0.258 mm
Built-in Audio: None Built-in Camera: None
USB: 2 (2.0) Firewire: 2 (400)
Supported MacOS: X 10.2.8* Power: 90W**

Apple Order No: M9178LL/A Apple Subfamily: Aluminum
Dimensions: 17.7 x 21.1 x 7.3 Average Weight: 15.5 lbs (7.03 kg)
Original Price: US$1999 Est. Current Retail: N/A

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jerome_m

There was a 8K video system on display at the Canon booth at Photokina. I gather that the smaller screen they used was a prototype of the screen that is now on market.
It looked really, really nice.

Hassilistic

Quote from: NickT on April 11, 2017, 08:53:47 AM
What are the camels looking at? :)

lol.. There are actually 6 Camels (the Image you see is zoomed in).. They're all looking back at a baby Camel (Calf) that is too scared of the Vehicles and is hesitant to move (generally though Camels are not frightened easily).  But I was just fascinated by how they all stood still with their bodies facing forward and only rotated their necks and heads in the same manner and direction to look backwards at the calf.!

Interestingly however, when I processed this image, I decided to do it again by first converting the Image to Grayscale in Phocus this time prior to sending it to LR & PS.  And as you've already guessed, the second took the trophy (figuratively speaking.. for now :p) because once I converted it in Phocus, I was able to push the sharpness to insane levels, part of the advantage of working on RAW files directly prior to conversion.  try it and tell me what you thing.

Cheers