Windows laptop Firewire recommendations?

Previous topic - Next topic

hvk

Hello,

My old Lenovo portable has died and I need a new solution for tethered shooting on site. Looking for experiences with Windows 10 based solutions for Firewire connectivity to a H5D. What kind of adapters are you using? Expresscard or Thunderbolt?

Regards,
Henrik von Klopp

DenisM

I'm strictly Windows 10 Pro for image processing on my computers back at base.

But, for tethered capture on location, I opted for a 13" MacBook Pro with retina screen.

I use it for both my Hasselblad and Canon cameras.

It's phenomenal! The speed at which MS files appear in Phocus is mind-blowing. Battery life is amazing also.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

D.

But, back at base, I process on a "Porsche-with-a-keyboard" for about half the price of the equivalent Apple. :)

hvk

Thanks Denis! I'll investigate the Mac option although I would still prefer a Windows solution so that I can get 32 or 64 GB of RAM in order to stitch panoramas.

Are you using the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter? On the latest models it looks like you need a TB3 to TB2 adapter too?

/Henrik

DenisM

Henrik,

Yes, Thunderbolt to Firewire.

Another plus (I presume it would be the same on a PC equivalent) is that the computer powers the Hasselblad. So, no more battery charging. A huge plus over my old PC laptop.

D.