Phocus problem loading images

Previous topic - Next topic

notwerb

Phocus loads my RAW images as JPEG's. What am I doing wrong?
John

Hassilistic

When you are Importing into Phocus or Exporting?

notwerb

I am downloading my images to Phocus as imports.

notwerb

Hassilistic, I saw your other post and found the drop down menu for exporting an image as a TIF, however it would seem to me that in converting a JPEG to a TIF there would be a loss of information - information the JPEG never carried in the first place.

Hassilistic

Hi notwerb, the previous post was about processing RAW only particularly 3F & 3FR.  Phocus primary task is to Convert your RAW files to FFF (3F), apply the correction, so then you can Export into an Image format of your choosing.

When dealing with JPEG, I would convert to TIFF - 8 Bit files for processing in PS, for lightroom I just edit the Jpeg file directly.  As your JPEG is 8 bit in the first place.  TIFF on the other hand is a far better container, and allows you to export into any format with extreme ease, unlike Jpeg to PNG or PSD or any other.

Back to you original issue, your import settings should look something like the image below, and you can see there that the output is fff or a 3F file.  If that is not the case please share an image so we can see what is happening.

notwerb

Yes, I understand what you are relating. However, any JPEG image does not contain the information a TIF contains and up-rezzing to a TIF will not change that. Yes, it gives a TIF file to work with but how can that TIF file contain what was originally in the raw which was transformed into a JPEG on import? Surely data had to be lost.
Two years ago I shot a CFV-50c on an ALPA and the raw files were accepted in PS. Last year I shot an H5D-50c and once again the files were uploaded to PS with no problem. I had raw files to work with and the results were excellent. Now I'm faced with an entirely different situation. I just want to positively know that the original raw file as transformed in Phocus is what I'm working with after an export to PS. 

NickT

Hi John
I can assure you that Hassilistic understands the difference between a Tif and a jpg :).

There is no way to convert Raws (3FRs) into JPGs on import.

You haven't said which camera you are using, are you perhaps shooting jpg and RAW on an X1D and importing the jags instead of the Raws?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

notwerb

Hi Nick, then I must have Phocus set up incorrectly as the images are JPEG tagged. I suppose I will find out soon as I print 24" and if the TIF's are only carrying JPEG info then it will show up there.
I am only trying to understand what is happening to the data. I appreciate the help.
I am shooting an RM3di w/CFV-50c & Rodenstock glass.
Thanks,
John

Miller

Quote from: NickT on March 26, 2017, 05:50:43 PM
Actually, it is possible to convert .3fr files directly to .jpg's by choosing "export" instead of "import".

John, please have a look at the files on your card. What is the file extension? It should be ".3fr".
If you choose "import" with one of these files selected, Phocus should write a file with a ".fff" extension in your destination folder.
You can edit both .3fr files and .fff files in Photoshop/ACR, but the best way is to export the .fff files to tiff or psd in order to profit from lens corrections and edits you made in phocus on the .fff file.

NickT

Quote from: Miller on March 27, 2017, 03:32:19 AM
Quote from: NickT on March 26, 2017, 05:50:43 PM
Actually, it is possible to convert .3fr files directly to .jpg's by choosing "export" instead of "import".

Correct, that's why I specified *on import*

NickT

Quote from: notwerb on March 27, 2017, 01:57:37 AM
I suppose I will find out soon as I print 24" and if the TIF's are only carrying JPEG info then it will show up there.

Well not really, you won't be able to tell the difference just by printing the file unless it has been heavily compressed...

To re-cap I suspect you are shooting RAW and JPG and importing the jpgs.

A typical workflow if shooting un-thethered would be:

Import 3FR fies to Phocus (this will automatically convert them to FFFs see note below)

Make major tonal adjustments lens corrections etc in Phcous.

Export a Tiff or a PSD for further refinement in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Save a version as a jpg if you need it. (I always think of jpg as a final delivery format only).

[Note a FFF is really just a 3FR in a wrapper that allows Phocus to record all the edits made to the RAW file.]

Does that help at all?

Miller

Hi John,

You also might want to check the settings in the thumbnail options menu (p. 25 of the manual).  Are all the different file types checked in the "Show image types" menu option?

notwerb

Quote from: NickT on March 27, 2017, 09:05:18 AM
Quote from: notwerb on March 27, 2017, 01:57:37 AM
I suppose I will find out soon as I print 24" and if the TIF's are only carrying JPEG info then it will show up there.

Well not really, you won't be able to tell the difference just by printing the file unless it has been heavily compressed...

To re-cap I suspect you are shooting RAW and JPG and importing the jpgs.

A typical workflow if shooting un-thethered would be:

Import 3FR fies to Phocus (this will automatically convert them to FFFs see note below)

Make major tonal adjustments lens corrections etc in Phcous.

Export a Tiff or a PSD for further refinement in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Save a version as a jpg if you need it. (I always think of jpg as a final delivery format only).

[Note a FFF is really just a 3FR in a wrapper that allows Phocus to record all the edits made to the RAW file.]

Does that help at all?

I've got it now! I have NEVER shot JPEG anything, just so you know. I suppose that was why the whole thing was so confusing to me. The CFV-50c only has two settings: RAW or RAW + JPEG. Mine is firmly on RAW.
Miller: thank you.

notwerb

Went out shooting this morning. All images downloaded a minute ago, came into Phocus as 3FR!! Hopefully this behavior will continue.