Phocus ICC Processing Profile

Previous topic - Next topic

Hassilistic

Looks like this has now become a 2 part series: Previously I touched upon the subject of Phocus and the Colorspace in the link immediately below,
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=4671.0

However, it is such a vast topic, that I would rather break into parts and cover each in greater detail starting with this part quote from that previous post:

"A color working space is applied when the image is Exported as the example here to Photoshop."

Please allow me to elaborate on that quote above for now, as Phocus presents you with a lot of choices and freedom:

- When you click EXPORT a dialogue comes up. as shown in "Window1"  You immediately notice the first line which says [Output Preset] were you'll make the choices from DNG all the way to TIFF-16.

What one might fail to notice is that each preset can be Edited as clearly displayed by the button immediately next to it.  Now when you click on that button you get another dialogue window. as shown in the image "Window 2"

This is a very important window as it not only allows you control over the File Format but more importantly the Color Profile, something which I believe many users were wondering about its location or even its existence.

What you'll notice here is that each individual preset already comes with a pre-assigned Color Profile attached to it, some you know, while others you don't, and even one without.. DNG.  But we will come to that later.

- Click the + icon, and create your own Preset, as you won't be able to edit the pre-installed factory presets in Phocus software as they are standard.  As shown in Image "Window 3"

You can create as many Presets as you like. ( I reached a 100 just to find out myself before quitting)
Each Preset can be LOCKED to prevent tampering accidental or otherwise, simply by clicking on the Lock Icon in the window.

Only the Presets that you have created can be Locked & Edited, and To do that you need to Unlock them first by clicking on the LOCK icon

- Should you decide to Make a DNG preset, you will get the same results as the existing Factory Preset DNG.  Why you ask?  As I mentioned in detail in my previous post (link above), RAW files do not have a working space so to speak, and DNG is not and Image Format like the others in the drop down tab, but a RAW file waiting to be converted to an image usable format.  As shown in image "Window 4"

Hope this cleared up a lot of confusion and answered many questions.

Cheers,

Hassilistic

If anybody here from Hasselblad or can ask a Technician at Hasselblad as to their 'Default' choice as demonstrated above in the images of 300PPI for Export.  If you'll notice in the images I have created an Export Preset of TIFF-16 with ProPhoto Profile Color and kept the 300PPI as is.
My question is: "Is this the Optimal Setting for when Exporting Image Formats out of RAW?

Cheers,

Domip

I think that you can export however you (or your clients) wants to export at... Some clients think that a file at 600ppi is better, so you make another preset and done!
My preset is Tif-16 eciRGB at 300ppi as this is what I deliver to my clients.

NickT

300ppi has long been an industry standard. It's based on a (typical line screen of 150lpi) and that you need about twice that in pixels to have a pixel for each line.

http://facweb.cs.depaul.edu/sgrais/color_line_screen.htm
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano