95mm Filter Solutions

Previous topic - Next topic

bgateb

Hi all,

I'm looking for filter holder solutions for the larger diameter lenses -- I currently own a bunch of breakthrough photography ND and CPL's @ 82mm with step-downs for my DSLR kit. I recently purchased an H6D-50c, and am looking for filter holder solutions for the larger diameter (95mm) lenses -- namely the 50-110, and i do plan to occasionally rent the 24 or 28 HCD.

My question is -- is a 100mm filter holder (looking at Formatt-Hitech, but any experience with other brands at teh 100mm filter size are welcome), large enough to not cause significant vignetting on the 50-110, 35-90, or maybe even the 24 or 28? I ask because I'd rather avoid having to get the Lucroit 165mm filter holder, with the humongous filters to go with it. Plus, the 100mm could serve double duty with the 35mm kit without looking ridiculous. :p

danord

Hello!
I have used the Lee push-on holder for 100mm filters on my 28mm and 35-90mm for some time. Only thing is that it won't fit the bare barrell of the lens (due to the hood-fittings), so I've had to attach a UV-filter (not the slim type) and fit the push-on holder on that. Your will be able to slide the filterholder all the way in so that the filter touches the UV-filter-ring so only vignetting will come from the UV-filter ring. I removed the glass on the UV-filter as I dislike too much glass in front of the lens. Now, that worked out fine with my H5D-50 CCD with the intermediate-size sensor, but it does give some serious vignetting in the wide end when I use my H6D-100c with a larger sensor. With the H6D-50c you should be totally ok. This set-up won't work with the Lee polarizer system with a screw-on ring in front of the filterholder, as that will probably vignette seriously on wide lenses.
An alternative I am now looking into for the 100c is of course the Lee SW150 with 95mm adapter-ring.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
danord

bgateb

Quote from: danord on March 18, 2017, 03:50:15 AM
Hello!
I have used the Lee push-on holder for 100mm filters on my 28mm and 35-90mm for some time. Only thing is that it won't fit the bare barrell of the lens (due to the hood-fittings), so I've had to attach a UV-filter (not the slim type) and fit the push-on holder on that. Your will be able to slide the filterholder all the way in so that the filter touches the UV-filter-ring so only vignetting will come from the UV-filter ring. I removed the glass on the UV-filter as I dislike too much glass in front of the lens. Now, that worked out fine with my H5D-50 CCD with the intermediate-size sensor, but it does give some serious vignetting in the wide end when I use my H6D-100c with a larger sensor. With the H6D-50c you should be totally ok. This set-up won't work with the Lee polarizer system with a screw-on ring in front of the filterholder, as that will probably vignette seriously on wide lenses.
An alternative I am now looking into for the 100c is of course the Lee SW150 with 95mm adapter-ring.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
danord

Thanks dan!

I'll likely be renting the wides for now, but I am looking to own the 50-110 in the near future to supplement the 120 macro as an all-around solution. So 100mm holders dont vignette much, except when really wide? good to know. I'm looking at the formatt 100mm holder (http://www.formatt-hitechusa.com/new-products/100mm-aluminum-holder), as their new firecrest holder doesn't go larger than 82mm threads for the adapter rings, whereas the older filter holder does have a 95mm option available (http://www.formatt-hitechusa.com/new-products/threaded-adapter-for-100mm-aluminum-holder).

Cirillo

Cokin XPro filter holder (forget the Lee 100mm push-on) and Cokin filters are better IMO (no colour shift at all).

Hassilistic

Hi bgateb,

You'll definitely need a 150 for the 24 & 28mm.  As suggested the Lee System can easily match and show you this here: http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-match  that's for the SW150 System.

Formatt-Hitech is a broadcast industry legend, so if they have it get that and get the filters too.  It is costly, so speak with a sales Rep to understand your requirements.

Personally I'm using an Australian company that does amazing work called NiSi (prices in AUS$) : https://nisifilters.com.au/product/nisi-150mm-filter-holder-for-hasselblad/  made particularly for Hasselblad lenses.

All in all, Hasselblad optics are of stelar performance, and if one thinks that any filter will do, think again.  They deserve, rather demand to be paired only with the best.  Like Schneider Optics B+W or equivalent.

Cheers,

jerome_m

Quote from: Hassilistic on March 19, 2017, 12:09:43 AMAll in all, Hasselblad optics are of stelar performance, and if one thinks that any filter will do, think again.

Hasselblad lenses certainly offer stellar performance, but no-name filters of Chinese origin have improved considerably in recent years. I found no difference with reputable brands.

bgateb

Quote from: Hassilistic on March 19, 2017, 12:09:43 AM
Hi bgateb,

You'll definitely need a 150 for the 24 & 28mm.  As suggested the Lee System can easily match and show you this here: http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-match  that's for the SW150 System.

Formatt-Hitech is a broadcast industry legend, so if they have it get that and get the filters too.  It is costly, so speak with a sales Rep to understand your requirements.

Personally I'm using an Australian company that does amazing work called NiSi (prices in AUS$) : https://nisifilters.com.au/product/nisi-150mm-filter-holder-for-hasselblad/  made particularly for Hasselblad lenses.

All in all, Hasselblad optics are of stelar performance, and if one thinks that any filter will do, think again.  They deserve, rather demand to be paired only with the best.  Like Schneider Optics B+W or equivalent.

Cheers,

Thanks!

Formatt-Hitech has a 20% off sale running right now through the end of march, so I just invested about a grand into getting up and running with them. I don't expect to purchase or use the wides very much — maybe the occasional landscape, so I chose to just invest in the 100mm holder and filters for now.

as @jerome_m mentioned, I can get fotodiox wonderpana with my Canon 11-24 for super ultrawide landscapes, and it's not terribly expensive comparatively.

Hassilistic

Quoteas @jerome_m mentioned, I can get fotodiox wonderpana with my Canon 11-24 for super ultrawide landscapes, and it's not terribly expensive comparatively.

I agree, as the Canon's and Nikon's go, they do not have the resolving power of the Hassy lenses.  But like I have mentioned previously you basically can't go wrong with Formatt-Hitec or the like's of Cavision, as they are Broadcast & Film Industry brands of choice.

bgateb

Quote from: Hassilistic on March 20, 2017, 01:45:10 AM
as @jerome_m mentioned, I can get fotodiox wonderpana with my Canon 11-24 for super ultrawide landscapes, and it's not terribly expensive comparatively.

I agree, as the Canon's and Nikon's go, they do not have the resolving power of the Hassy lenses.  But like I have mentioned previously you basically can't go wrong with Formatt-Hitec or the like's of Cavision, as they are Broadcast Industry brands of choice.
[/quote]

Thanks; looking forward to my stuff coming in. I would have gone with the LucrOit 165mm solution, but again, it's too large for nearly all of my lenses in both 35mm and for the 'Blad. vignetting on the 24/28 may not be an issue as I don't expect to have to rent them very much, and may likely never own them.

Thanks again!