Mindset from LR to Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

After reading several posts on the advantages of Phocus, as opposed to LR for processing Hasselblad raw files, I've decided to take the plunge, and try working with it. All I've ever used for raw processing has been LR and ACR. I'm familiar with them, know my way around, and am not displeased with the results I get. However, if it's possible to achieve a better quality file with Phocus, before exporting to PS, then I'm all for it. It's just the old adage of trying to teach an old dog new tricks sort of thing.

That said, can you shed some light on the "advantages" of using Phocus over LR, and things in particular that I need to address while there?
FWIW - I discovered early in life that I learn best from direct instruction, more so than hands-on, or "reading" instructions.
Thank your for your time and expertise.
PS - Because I'm still running Mac OS 10.9.5, I am only able to use version 2.8.4.

NickT

Michael, you will see better colour from Phocus (Although LR does a good job) and the lens corrections are very good (much better than LR), worth toggling them on and off to see what they are doing.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

NickT

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks Nick. Coincidently I came across this tutorial by Karl Taylor earlier today, and have it earmarked to watch. Looking forward to it.
You Tube is my friend!

Michael H. Cothran

Nick T - Just got finished watching Karl Taylor's tutorial. It's simply the best laid out tutorial I've ever watched. In fact, coming away from it, I don't see any issues in me converting from LR to Phocus, as his version (3.0) has everything I currently use in LR, including the Color Checker Passport Camera Calibration.

However...Phocus version 3.0 seems to be the first update that has Adjustment Layers available. Very important to me since I use the adjustment brushes and radial tool in LR on just about every image I edit. Now, version 3.0 requires Mac OS 10.10. I'm running OS 10.9.5, and don't think I can update to 10.10 on my older Mac Pro. Even if I can, it would probably require me to the update my Image Print RIP, which is what I use for my printing, and that would cost me $528. And who knows what other softwares I might have to update.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NickT

Hi Michael
My workflow might be a bit different from everyone else so take this with a pinch of salt. I use Phocus as a tether solution and RAW processor. A first step in the process if you like. From there I'm working in Photoshop (if I need layers etc) or Lightroom if I have a bunch of images. I don't think of Phocus as an editing solution rather "get the image looking close enough before you retouch it". Again that's just how *I* work.

DJPixelMan

Quote from: NickT on February 18, 2017, 06:51:15 PM
Hi Michael
My workflow might be a bit different from everyone else so take this with a pinch of salt. I use Phocus as a tether solution and RAW processor. A first step in the process if you like. From there I'm working in Photoshop (if I need layers etc) or Lightroom if I have a bunch of images. I don't think of Phocus as an editing solution rather "get the image looking close enough before you retouch it". Again that's just how *I* work.

Agreed. That's exactly how I use Phocus as well.

Hassilistic

Hi Michael

I concur:

- Phocus :  Tethered Capture/ Camera Control/ All Photo Adjustments

- 3rd Party Software: Photo Edits & Retouching (if needed otherwise, finish off in Phocus)

Cheers,

Dustbak

Hi Michael

I have exactly the same workflow.

hcubell

I am not really aware of what exactly I sacrifice by NOT using Phocus to process X1D files. Does LR not have the same lens correction profiles for the Hasselblad lenses as Phocus? Are there other "features" that  Phocus has that LR does not?
Thanks.

NickT

Phone's lens corrections are superior to the Adobe ones but I'm not sure how wide the gap is. I'd also expect colour to be better out of Phocus but again not by a huge margin.

hcubell

Thanks, Nick. In recent years, I have been doing more and more of my local adjustments in LR or C1. However, its the highlight and shadow recovery tools in LR that have evolved into such powerful tools that I can't do without them for the high dynamic range stuff I tend to shoot.

Dustbak

I agree, that is a very important thing that was missing for years. No, you can do the local adjustments in Phocus too and if necessary export the local adjustments in a layered PSD file if you need to make a more advanced mask.