Export file Size

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogacz

Have a question about exported file sizes. Shooting with an H4D 40.  My fff files are 8176 × 6132, DNG Export is 8176 × 6132. BUT a PSD or a TIF export is only 7991 × 5994.  Any idea why or what I am doing wrong.  Running 3.1.3 on a MAC El Captian 10.11.6 - Thanks Mark

Alex

Hi Mark,

Native resolution of an H4D40 is 7304×5478 pixels so it's upsizing & outputting at the same size of a 50MP (6132×8176 pixels) sensor.
The PSD option is outputting the file at 97.7% of the TIFFs. Go to the Export panel and select the Edit option to have a look at the differences between the process recipe's for the TIFFs & PSD - you can duplicate & make you own recipe versions by unlocking the padlock button.
Hope that helps,

Alex

Bogacz

Thanks for the information.  For clarification if the H4D40 native is 7304×5478 pixels.  Then why are the fff files 8176 × 6132?

Alex

Not sure, that's why I'm suggesting to have a look inside the export option panel - it sounds like something's being upsized.

Or maybe they stuck the wrong badge on the side of the camera in the factory ;)

Bogacz

Actually there is no badge on it.  I bought it used and was told it was a 40 back but it is actually a 50 mp (6132 x 8176 pixels).   Still shouldnt the export at 100 % be 6132 x 8176 pixels?

Alex

Some modification is is being applied to the TIFF/PSD files (Whereas with DNG output, I think only some very rudimentary things are modified - maybe White Balance); have you checked the cropping? Have you tried outputting a full size JPEG?

A

Bogacz

Hi Alex, -The image was cropping as a default. I had been using the Remove Crop, both via the File menu and Command D but it was not removing the crop. I messed with the Crop Tool in Adjustments to remove it.  Now I have to figure out why remove crop did not set it back to full frame.  - Mark

Bogacz

Hi Alex, Thank for your assistance.  All of my issues appear to be coming from a 1.0 straighten on all of the images from my recent shoot.  I assume this is becuase the camera captures using the same settings from a previous image and Remove Crop does not also return Straighten to 0.0.  Mark

NickT

Yes the straighten tool isn't treated as a crop even though it does crop!

One of my workflows basics is to always choose "standard" setup at the beginning of a shoot to reset everything.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano