X1D: Firmware Improvements Wish List

Previous topic - Next topic

hcubell

The X1D is an extraordinary camera system even in its present configuration. However, there are a number of improvements in the X1D firmware that I would like to see Hasselblad implement over time to make it even better:
1. Real time histogram in Live View on both the LCD and the EVF.
2. Blinkies showing areas of overexposure in the image file after an exposure, preferably based upon the raw file rather than a JPEG.
3. Customization of the different buttons on the camera.
4. Focus peaking in Live View.
5. Auto bracketing of exposure, with the ability to select the number of exposures and the size of the exposure bracket.
6. Reduce length of blackout of Live View after exposure.
7. A menu setting that allows you to turn off AF through a half depress of the shutter button. The way the X1D is now configured, the half depress AF is turned off by pressing the AF/MF button so that it on MF. The problem is that yrou also activate the multipoint AF grid by pressing that same button, and by doing so, AF is often re selected even though you started on MF and want it to stay on MF after you select your AF point to use back button AF.
8. "Zebras" showing overexposure in Live View.
9. Eye detect AF.
10. True Focus.
11. EFCS or ES (not sure this possible with a leaf shutter).

I am sure other owners and potential owners of the X1D have their own suggestions, and I hope they contribute to this thread.
Thanks.

Buddy

Quote from: hcubell on February 05, 2017, 03:37:21 PM
7. A menu setting that allows you to turn off AF through a half depress of the shutter button. The way the X1D is now configured, the half depress AF is turned off by pressing the AF/MF button so that it on MF. The problem is that yrou also activate the multipoint AF grid by pressing that same button, and by doing so, AF is often re selected even though you started on MF and want it to stay on MF after you select your AF point to use back button AF.

exactly the same experience here, happens very easy

Buddy

9. Eye detect AF:
that would be cool! But then Nr. 10 True Focus is not necessary anymore. Anyways, True Focus is for H platform only and with the selectable AF points also rather redundant. True Focus in H does in deed has some disadvantages as well: rather slow acquisition of focus achievement, especially at low ambient light, and one can make easily mistakes with un-proper camera movement, in which case focus is not there where the intention was...

JoeC

I sent this to the Hasselblad regional sales reps on the East coast:

QuoteAfter using the Hasselblad X1D for about two weeks, I can honestly say that Hasselblad has introduced a "game changer". I love the camera and XCD lenses and want to offer the following "wish list" (not in priority order) as feedback on what I would characterize as performance improvements.

• Option to lock exposure when AF is achieved, thereby allowing me to focus and recompose without pressing the AE-L button
   • Live histogram (EVF and rear LCD)
   • More AF points; 35 is OK but I'd like 4x that many
   • Wired cable release connecting to the USB port
   • Auto ISO in M mode; I want to be able to set the aperture and shutter speed and have ISO "float"
   • Auto ISO max setting; now that defaults to 3200
   • Better mobile app; Phocus mobile is barely acceptable even when used as just a shutter release IMHO

I am anxiously awaiting the availability of the GPS accessory, as I had expected that functionality to be built into the camera body. While the "blackout" period after the shutter release is pressed is somewhat annoying, it's not a deal breaker for me. Nor is the lack of a lossless compressed RAW file option. Overall, the camera is simple, easy to learn, and produces images with excellent dynamic range, color and resolution.

Thank you for your support and please pass on any of these suggestions to the team in Gothenburg if you feel it's constructive.

I'd add auto bracketing (#5) and eye-detect AF (#9) as priorities after seeing Howard's list.

Perhaps this thread should be moved over to the "Cameras" board (where the cool kids hang out). :)

Joe

hcubell

Sorry, I actually meant to start this thread in the Cameras section, so hopefully Nick can move it.

hcubell

Quote from: Buddy on February 05, 2017, 09:12:41 PM
9. Eye detect AF:
that would be cool! But then Nr. 10 True Focus is not necessary anymore. Anyways, True Focus is for H platform only and with the selectable AF points also rather redundant. True Focus in H does in deed has some disadvantages as well: rather slow acquisition of focus achievement, especially at low ambient light, and one can make easily mistakes with un-proper camera movement, in which case focus is not there where the intention was...

It still may quicker and more efficient not to select a different AF point, and just focus and recompose using the central AF point. The X1D may not have the internal hardware necessary to implement True Focus, so it's not a matter of firmware.

ptortora

I agree, the X1D is off to a good start but some enhancements are in order if they want to stay competitive.  For me, eye recognition is a first priority.  Hopefully, a side benefit of DJI's investment will be the ability to lean on them for some of their object tracking engineering which they've done so well (I have a couple of DJI drones and their engineering is always on the cutting edge).  Although not fool proof, I find Sony's and Fuji's eye/face recognition a valuable asset, especially when used under the right conditions, and I'd hate to give that up. It was my understanding Hasselblad listed Face Recognition as an X1D feature early on but I notice that there hasn't been any mention of that recently, so not sure if it will be included or not.    My second priority would be auto bracketing and my third choice would be the auto ISO in manual mode (including ability to set ranges).   Lastly, I hope Hasselblad does a better job at communicating their objectives and road map for the X1D product line and lenses. Seems like Fuiji did a real smart move in letting the market know exactly what feature set, lenses and accessories will be included/released over the course of the first year and I hope Hasselblad follows their lead regarding communications.  The GFX also bombarded the market with all types of sample images and behind the scenes video with their GFX Challenges series - very smart and helpful marketing IMO. Don't misunderstand me,  I've been a Hassy user for many years and I'm very fond of their equipment.  It's still my favorite for many of my shooting situations and I have an X1D on order. I remain a Hassy loyalist but I do hope they get a little more forward thinking with their marketing and communications.   I've not only been waiting for my X1D delivery since October, it seems to me  communications have been just as delayed.  To me, since October, there has been no or little progress in further defining the intended feature set as well as the additional  lenses they intend to release in 2017.  Hopefully, that will all change and we'll ultimately see a wonderful feature set and better communications as the fruits for our patience!

JoeC

I sent a message to Hasselblad (Ove Bengtsson) with feedback on my use of the X1D since January 20. This is the response I received (responses to my "wish list" items are in blue).

QuoteOption to lock exposure when AF is achieved, thereby allowing me to focus and recompose without pressing the AE-L button
This is a planned feature. Will come...
Live histogram (EVF and rear LCD)
This is a planned feature. Will come...
More AF points; 35 is OK but I'd like 4x that many
We are planning to have a smaller 2.5x2.5mm area as an option and then you get 63 points.
Wired cable release connecting to the USB port
We are trying to find the best way to add a cable release function
Auto ISO in M mode; I want to be able to set the aperture and shutter speed and have ISO "float"
We had this in the early testing of the Auto-ISO function, but quite many said it was confusing. It might come back.
Auto ISO max setting; now that defaults to 3200
In the next release you can choose limits (high and low). 1-2 weeks away.
Better mobile app; Phocus mobile is barely acceptable even when used as just a shutter release IMHO
This will also have an update soon. Probably not all the features you want though!  ;-) What is missing?
Ability to reset the camera to factory settings
In the next release you can choose limits (high and low). 1-2 weeks away.
Ability to reset shot count
Not planned, but could be a good idea.
Ability to add copyright information to images taken
We had this on the H5D and I would like to have it also for H6D and X1D.

We are now finalizing the tests of the GPS module at the moment so it shouldn't be long.
I hope you have noted that the blackout period is much longer if you add JPG. You should use RAW only. In that case the blackout period is as short as the sensor allows.
Compressed RAW will come...

Subsequently, I added auto bracketing and face detect/eye detect AF to the "wish list" and received this reply:

QuoteBracketing is on the "list" but I don't think that we will aim to cover every feature from cameras like the Sony A7. However, face detection could be useful and we will see what could be done.

I'm encouraged by 1) getting a rapid personalized response to my inquiries, 2) the likelihood of a near-term firmware update, and 3) plans for future updates to incorporate more features/functions. Hasselblad is clearly seeking feedback from real users and will evolve the X1D over time to meet our needs.

In hindsight, I should have asked about the lens roadmap, but didn't want to get too cheeky.  ;)

NickT

Yes Ove is the best. I have met him a few times and he even let me handle one of the Apollo cameras (not one that went to the moon obviously). Someone on another forum has published his email address which is really annoying as he is busy enough as it is...
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

JoeC

Quote from: NickT on February 11, 2017, 07:16:07 PM
Someone on another forum has published his email address which is really annoying as he is busy enough as it is...

I saw that and would advise Ove to change his email address. Poor forum etiquette.

Joe

jeff.grant@pobox.com

It wouldn't have been hard to guess what it was. All Hasselblad email addresses seem to follow the same format.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

alkaabi

Hi,

I wish there was a preview after an exposure in the EVF.

cheers.

eyedear

New firmware is out for the X1D sadly new firmware for the H6d is still not out hope they come soon

hcubell

Quote from: eyedear on February 16, 2017, 02:43:40 AM
New firmware is out for the X1D sadly new firmware for the H6d is still not out hope they come soon

A good start. However, I was hoping for a live histogram in the LCD and EVF and blinkies showing overexposure in playback images.  These features are very valuable for evaluating exposure.

KeithL

Does the latest firmware allow the user to select shutter speed in auto ISO?