Copying files from Mac to PC...?

Previous topic - Next topic

DenisM

I am capturing single and multi-shot to a new Mac laptop.

I will be processing on my PC desktop.

I have formatted an external USB hard drive in exFAT for transferring the files from the MAC to the PC.

My question is this;

On the MAC the files look just like they would on the old PC laptop I used to capture to.

But, when I transfer the files across to the PC, as well as there being the single and multi-shot .fff files, there is also a tiny 4kb .fff equivalent file for everyone one of the full size files.

1. Why is this?

2. Can I delete these 4kb files?

3. Is there a neater way of formatting the external HD to make the transfers?

Thanks.

D.

Alex

These little files are made by the MacOS for reference indexing the main file and its file extension value, a bit like the bridgesort or thumbs file that Adobe Bridge and Windows sometimes make after organising or modifying the contents of a folder. I think if you delete them the MacOS will remake them upon the the next reinsertion of the drive however I'm not sure to the extent of their importance.
To help disregard them within Explorer choose Detail View & select the ordering tab of Size column which should move them all to the bottom and so make file de/selection more easier.

DenisM

Alex,

Belatedly, thanks for the reply.

The files are only captured to a Mac. They will be spending the rest of their days on PC.

But, rather than risk anything in terms of their legibility, I have simply created a folder, within the file folder on the PC, and put them there.

Thanks again.

D.

stephanbruehl

you can delete these files without risk. As explained earlier they are indexing files for the Mac OS and don't have any meaning on a Windows system.

Best, Stephan